Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
That's the genius of it. Look how many affiliate owner bios start with "I was never athletic growing up/picked last for dodge ball/sucked at sports/etc." Now look at HQ. Not a single person running the thing with any credentials, competitive history, or any visual evidence that they even train at all. That is how you market to the masses because the masses are average and uncredentialed.

You don't make money by marketing to the elite. Instead, you market a new definition for elite...hell, a new definition for everything. Then you invent a competition and challenge everyone else in the world to prove you wrong. It doesn't matter to your followers that nobody else cares to prove you wrong; it only matters that nobody else shows up.

It's genius.

The amount of stupidity in that string of comments is staggering. I can't believe I share a planet with some of those people.
hahahahaha!
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
Brian DeGennaro

And this is why we love Gant.

Edit: and I just reread in that games post that someone said Speal could do a 4:38 1500m ... without training it. HAH. I doubt it, especially because his profile states he hasn't run below 60sec for a 400. Speal is a respectable athlete but people think he's some sort of godlike athlete.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #23
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
And this is why we love Gant.

Edit: and I just reread in that games post that someone said Speal could do a 4:38 1500m ... without training it. HAH. I doubt it, especially because his profile states he hasn't run below 60sec for a 400. Speal is a respectable athlete but people think he's some sort of godlike athlete.
Speal is pretty BA. I'm always impressed with his performance, especially for a smaller guy, he stays right in there with the big guys even at heavier weights. But... yeah, people seem to think he's some supreme athlete. He's good, don't get me wrong, a much better athlete than the majority of people, but even look at someone like Bryan Clay (a small decathlete), he's 5'11" and 180 lbs. When it comes to sports and athletics, you just can't replace genetics. I wish I was begat by larger parents, if I was 6'8" and 320 lbs. Speal is very impressive, but he has limitations just like everyone else. Thing is, I've never heard Speal claim to be elite or anything, but yet, people all over the internet give him super hero status.

As for the CF article.... I really like CF actually, I think it's fun. Keyword being "fun." I have no shame admitting that I have training ADD, I get bored with routine and just following the steady grind of lifting programs. When I did CF, I never thought it was going make me "elite." (they really should drop that from the title) It's just something fun to do, no different than P90X. P90X isn't going to make you the next Gold Medalist. It's just a fun way to get in shape, burn off some extra pounds.

That being said, most of what CF puts out is just marketing to encourage people to do CF. "This is why CF is better than your current program......" No different than Zumba touting that it burns 1000 calories an hour, or Tae Bo claiming it can make you faster and stronger than lifting weights. Heck, look at the shake weight. It's all marketing. Supplement companies do it too. Muscletech will make you taller, stronger, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and.... as an added bonus it will make that certain male body part larger. Call now to get your free sample!

So, with the CF article, and most of their articles, it's just marketing CF to the masses. They've just chosen to put them out in PDF format for free instead of running infomercials. Which to be fair is really smart. People might scoff at an infomercial, but for some reason people still believe everything they read, especially if it comes in PDF format.

Ps. I'm personally jealous and angry that I didn't think of it first. I could be a millionaire. I mean, just repackage old training programs to the masses and add a stopwatch so now it's a game. I can't wait till people forget about Wendler 531, so I can start touting Cilli 531. Maybe I should start now with a Chadgarian weightlifting program.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #24
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
The amount of stupidity in that string of comments is staggering. I can't believe I share a planet with some of those people.
Don't worry - it's only until the spaceship comes.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #25
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
As for the CF article.... I really like CF actually, I think it's fun. Keyword being "fun."
I had a lot of fun trying Crossfit too. It taught me a lot about conditioning, appropriate levels of volume, the value of a time-limited workout, and so on.

It indirectly taught me about the importance of technique and specificity of training, too - I learned that while CF was nice, an integrated program developed around my sport was superior for me.

I basically got off that ride, though, when I realized I needed very specific work that CF just didn't provide, no matter how "strength biased" or "power biased" you made it. Well, that and when I realized that what counted as a "good rep" was totally flexible - if you managed to set a low enough time and the HQ folks approved of you, all the reps were good. Oh, and when they put out that diet article that had a guy with a big gut explaining to me that leaning out and getting maximum physical performance from diet was easy . . . but apparently it wasn't so easy that he could fit it into his schedule.

Still, I don't regret giving it a go - thanks to CF I found out a lot of stuff, had some fun, discovered Performance Menu, and learned what worked for me and what didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Maybe I should start now with a Chadgarian weightlifting program.
I'm thinking of using a more Chadgarian approach for my next pre-fight cycle.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #26
Andrew Wilson
Banned

CrossFit Journal #11:

Apparently, the medicine ball clean reinforces the deadlift and squat, and introduces the metabolic potential of the clean. . . .

It seems the high rep clean and jerk can substantially increase coordination, balance, and accuracy.

And apparently, not performing high rep clean and jerk it is a short coming that cannot be logically explained. . . . .
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Andrew Wilson
Banned

. . . . .
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #28
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
CrossFit Journal #11:
and introduces the metabolic potential of the clean. . . .
What is metabolic potential??? Is that even a concept?
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #29
Kelly White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Bryan Clay weighs 185, back squats 272kg (598), benches 161kg (354), power cleans 152kg (332), has a standing vertical jump of 44in, runs a 10.35 100m dash, 4:38mile............ and he doesn't do "metcons"
Yeah......but how would he hold up in a functional glute ham situp/deadlift race for time?
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #30
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
What is metabolic potential??? Is that even a concept?
hahahaha