Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Aha sorry i just thought that because he was formerly strong and would be embarking on this program to get him strong again, while still being able to do the odd trail run or KB training that he likes to do that the volume wouldnt be too high on these extra curricula activities because of the main goal.
Yeah, I was more just curious and you're probably right that if it was the odd trail run a couple days per week or some KB swinging it wouldn't be an issue.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Jim Glover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Gant,
If you check in at any point, I just had a quick question on the EZ program.

for your buddy, did he have any recovery issues getting 3 days in of lifting/week? You said he was still fitting in some KBs and trail running, but was there ever a time that he may have had to extend his lifting schedule over maybe an 8-10 day period?
No.

I wrestle on Sundays, push the prowler, run, or play around with kettlebells when I have time or a day off of work but the core three days never changed until we got a crap load of snow and I couldn't get to the gym.

I stick to the plan. Starting this week I'm adding more light conditioning sessions at the end of day and every other Monday I'll train in the gi one to two times.
Jim Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Derek Weaver

Hey Jim
Thanks for responding. Cool to see that you didn't have to change things outside of weather affecting access to the gym. How have the Oly progressions gone thus far?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Jim Glover

Quote:
Hey Jim
Thanks for responding. Cool to see that you didn't have to change things outside of weather affecting access to the gym. How have the Oly progressions gone thus far?
My oly lifts are progressing but the main goal of this training plan is rebuilding. I scaled my weights way back to start the 5-3-1 cycle and I won't let my ego force me chase weights I'm not ready to attempt. Plus I'm a big wus and have avoided rep work over the years and the higher rep final sets are good for me.

My plan for now is to keep grinding away. I'm adding in more stuff right now. I'm grappling more simply because it's always been something I do and I'm add the kettlebells back more aggressively because I'm attending the Buckley/Dolby kettlebell work shop in April.

I don't plan on changing anything in the core program until I talk to Gant in person at the Putting All Together seminar in DFW in April.

Anything extra is just that so I don't let it affect anything significant on my core days.
Jim Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Gant,
If you check in at any point, I just had a quick question on the EZ program.

for your buddy, did he have any recovery issues getting 3 days in of lifting/week? You said he was still fitting in some KBs and trail running, but was there ever a time that he may have had to extend his lifting schedule over maybe an 8-10 day period?
My thread notification must have been messed up. Sorry to leave questions hanging for so long.

Jim answered this, but here's the thing. You can do a lot, A LOT of work if you manage this thing properly. The key to weight training to support a sport or conditioning routine is to do low volume, high intensity work. I don't do much in the way of assistance. I get 6-8 hours a week of assistance work on the mat. That's plenty.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coughlin View Post
Nice work Gant, the hybrid evolves again!

I was thinking about going with the Texas Method, but those 5x5s were pretty intense. Recovery might be an issue for me, if my shift night I don't sleep too well (which is almost always a given). This template gives me some wiggle room throughout the week, which I usually utilize. My questions to you are as follows:

-How many days a week are you doing other active stuff? Meaning BJJ, Highland Games prep, or anything else....I like to compete in a variety of stuff, like you; so I'm interested in seeing how you integrate the non-barbell days.

-What would be a good progression with developing my olympic snatch and clean? You list the power versions of both, which IIRC you said you prefer in your original Hybrid thread. Should I start with the Hang Power versions one week, power the next, and then into the olympic versions? I ask because I may try my hand at a masters olympic competiton in the late spring/early summer.
Volume in the weight room gets me, as well. The EZ isn't designed to get you hyooge. It's designed to build useful power and strength while allowing you to dabble in something else. It could be a nice stand-alone program, as well.

Here is my outside-the-weightroom schedule
* teach kids judo: 2 days/2 hours
* judo: 1 day/2 hours
* teach/do judo competitors/conditioning class: 1 day/2 hours
* teach/do jujitsu: 1 day/2 hours
* wrestling: 1 day/1 hr
* coach kids soccer: 3 days/3 hours
* MTB/trail stuff (ideally): 1 day/1.5 hours
* play outside with kids, kayak, whatever

When HG gets here, I'll trade conditioning for throwing.

The progression I like for developing a snatch and clean is to do a snatch and clean. I'm not great at either lift, and I don't care to be. I use the power versions because I want you pulling the bar as high as possible. No need to let a front squat or OHS mess with your lifts or recovery.

As for progression, Rip teaches the full lift, Greg parts it out, and Glenn teaches something in the middle. They all work, and they all have literature on it.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #17
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I was more just curious and you're probably right that if it was the odd trail run a couple days per week or some KB swinging it wouldn't be an issue.
This is ancillary stuff we're talking about. The occasional 5K nature jog or kookyball swinging is fine. Running 50 miles a week or doing a couple 10 minute SCCJ with 2x32kg is a different story.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
My thread notification must have been messed up. Sorry to leave questions hanging for so long.

Jim answered this, but here's the thing. You can do a lot, A LOT of work if you manage this thing properly. The key to weight training to support a sport or conditioning routine is to do low volume, high intensity work. I don't do much in the way of assistance. I get 6-8 hours a week of assistance work on the mat. That's plenty.
Yeah, I started to figure this out after actually putting my thinking cap on. Good point about getting a lot of assistance stuff on the mat, or in any other sport for those of us who aren't grapplers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
This is ancillary stuff we're talking about. The occasional 5K nature jog or kookyball swinging is fine. Running 50 miles a week or doing a couple 10 minute SCCJ with 2x32kg is a different story.
Ties in with above and makes sense. More or less how my own training has begun to go as I've done more conditioning, and am trying to heal after hurting myself again. As one side (conditioning, competition etc.) goes up, the other (gpp/weight room stuff) goes down. Basic stuff to the point that I often muck it up.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
Chris Turnbull

Hi,

Can you please explai what you mean by implements dips/chins and is that as well as the conditioner.

Alos, is there anyone doing the 531 ancillary lifts as well as the metcon and if so are you doing 5 sets. Are you supersetting those lifts?

Thanks

Chris
Chris Turnbull is offline   Reply With Quote