Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #321
Kevin Shaughnessy

Sunday June 12th

CoC #1.5, #2
#2 R - 2x4
#1.5 L - 1x5 1x3

Oh yeah baby. The quest for the number 3 begins anew, and to a great start. Made an attempt at the number 2.5 after these sets and got it to parallel. Noice. I feel... excited. Hands hurt now though, but its the kind of pain that will go away in an hour.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #322
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday June 13th

Bench Press - Paused
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
153x6x6

3-5 min rest, feel pretty worked. This was my 7 rep max a couple weeks ago.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #323
Kevin Shaughnessy

Tuesday June 14th

Hang Power Clean
95x5
115x5
135x3
155x2
175x8x2

Kind of a bad HPC session, bar kept racking low, wrists feel hurt, and on the last set my stance was staggered and my ankle had rolled a bit.

Squats
95x10
135x5
185x5
210x3
260x5x5

Could have been harder, just 5 minutes rest through all the sets. I realized though, on the fourth set, that I've developed a rather bad habit. I tuck my tailbone under on the ascent, I think because it lets me squeeze my glutes more effectively. Anyways, gotta stop that. On another more positive note, I took a video of my knees out and it looks pretty good. If your looking for proof that wide stance squats can solve the knees out problem, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmBOkbgbgKA

Wide Stance Box Squat
205x10

That was definitely the last ten pound jump.

CoC #2

PR'd my right hand, left couldn't even close a 1.5 halfway and it hurt to try. Attempted the 2.5 an hour later, got it beyond parallel, about half an inch away from a close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVL1IYWDO4
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #324
Derek Simonds

Out of all the grip related things I do grippers bother my hands the most. Good luck on your quest for the CoC 3.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #325
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Out of all the grip related things I do grippers bother my hands the most. Good luck on your quest for the CoC 3.
Same here. I used to not even be able to work with grippers because they gave me tendonitis in my hands.

Wednesday June 15th

Bench Press - Paused
160x7x5

I realized I accidentally took a 15 pound jump last workout instead of 8. This workout was 10 pounds over last 7x5 day, a jump I'll continue with for the next two sessions.

Weighted Chin-Up
15x5

Busted a nut getting that last rep, and that was all I felt like giving afterwards. I'm going to do a ladder the next couple of workouts to change things up.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #326
Kevin Shaughnessy

Thursday June 16th

Front Squat
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x3
175x2
207.5x3x3

Was sore and lazy going into this workout. Volume squats, man..

Wide Stance Box Squat
210x5

If I'm real, I could have eeked out a set of 10 hard ass reps, but I was lazy so I just decided to switch to progressing 5's from here.

CoC#2 R

Thats a tasty fugging PR. I'm going to try the #2.5 in 48 hours. Heres the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRVbg3Ga6Lw

You can see I messed up getting the last rep on camera, but if you freeze frame it looks like I got it closed.

look at dem skinny wrists

CoC #1.5 L
Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #327
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday June 17th

Bench Press - Paused
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
167x8x4

4 minutes rest, and 3 on the last set. Looking forward to setting a nice PR next wednesday.

CoC #2.5

I couldn't help myself and tried the 2.5. Didn't get any further than the last time I tried, and I could barely get it halfway without a good set. It occured to me that I'm probably not going to just pull a 2.5 close out of my ass and that I'll actually have to work for it, so I'm just going to focus on the #2 until I can manhandle it like I can the #1 cause thats what I think it'll take. I'm going to, starting sunday, do static holds sunday/tuesday and then go for a rep PR thursday like I did at the beginning of the year. Also, fuck credit card sets.

I'm adding a new goal to the meet I'll be doing Jan. 2012: 400+ squat, 500+ deadlift, 225-250 bench, all in the 198's. I haven't been able to weigh myself since I broke my scale (lol, not by stepping on it), but I just took some measurements, and around-the-gut is 42 1/2 inches, which is 1/2 an inch more than the last time I measured, but my arms have lost another quarter inch, down to 14 1/2 (quite the stud, no?). My arms were shrinking during my last cut, and I think they look leaner. I think I just haven't been taking the gut measurements at the same place, and that I'm actually continuing to get leaner. Otherwise something is going seriously wrong with my training and diet.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #328
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday June 18th

Dumbbell Row
20x20
40x10
60x8
80x6
95x3
122x9 R
0x0x0 L

My shoulders hurt, and I feel drained and depleted going into the workout, little motivation or intensity.

Squat
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
255x2
295x5

Hard as fawk. Knees came in quite a bit on the last rep or two, looks like I spoke to soon with regards to fixing my knees out problem. Video here shows a wierd form error I hope I've never done before, basically coming onto my toes near the top. I have no idea why I did that. Its probably the reason why my left distal IT band area felt a little sore after. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxiSiLT4044 -EDIT- Knee hurts, not when simply standing but if I relax sideways. Gets better if I foam roll my IT band so I think thats the issue. Hopefully its not ligamentous.

Pendlay Row
135x5
185x1
155x3x5

LOLOLOL. Looks like I've been kidding myself hardcore about how much I could row. Fucking dumbbells. I guess dumbbells + shit ROM + body english = inflated weights, minimal strength. Oh lawd. Getting strong is hard man

Good Morning
135x5
155x5
175x5
195x5
210x5
225x5

I didn't go as low as I used to because that gave me sciatica. Hopefully this ROM transfers over well to the deadlift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFnjhkKpDg

Wide Stance Box Squat
215x5

This was balls out difficult. I'm going to take a week off and let my body catch up recovery wise.

Bench Press - Paused
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
175x10x3

Felt like I could of hit a set of 5 with this no problem on the first couple of sets. Noice.

CoC #2

I seriously can't help myself. Now that I know that I'm just digging myself a deeper hole, I think I'll be able to take a few days rest.

CoC #1.5
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #329
Eduardo Chile

I can't tell from this view but your feet might not not be at a wide enough angle. But, I think you need to lower the weight a bit and get your form down. You need to really make it your priority on every rep to get your knees apart, and think about it before you even start your rep.

At the top of the lift it appears your hips stop moving and your shoulders keep rising. To keep the weight over your mid foot you come up on your toes. I think this is a mental error to some degree. I think the other part is your knees caving in is causing your bar speed to slow down and your timing is off.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #330
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
I can't tell from this view but your feet might not not be at a wide enough angle. But, I think you need to lower the weight a bit and get your form down. You need to really make it your priority on every rep to get your knees apart, and think about it before you even start your rep.

At the top of the lift it appears your hips stop moving and your shoulders keep rising. To keep the weight over your mid foot you come up on your toes. I think this is a mental error to some degree. I think the other part is your knees caving in is causing your bar speed to slow down and your timing is off.
I took some measurements and my stance is about 16 1/2 inches inside the heels. My hips are 16 1/2 inches in width, and my shoulders are 18. This is a bit of a realization as I didn't know I was inside shoulder width. I'll be moving them out to 18 next workout and see how it goes. Do you have any recommendations based on my measurements?

Good catch with the shoulders rising and the hips not. Thanks. I'll be focusing on moving them together next workout. I think the heaviness of the bar threw me off. What do you mean by my timing being off?