Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
A question about the reasoning behind 10,15,20,25kg weights in weightlifting. From watching lots of videos it seems everyone uses these plates and then some small plates for incremental weight. Why are these the only plates the people use in olympic weightlifting? It seems hard to learn these movements when you have to start out snatching atleast 40kg. I know thats really light to most but is there a reason they only make 4 different weights and not a wider variety like 5,7.5,12.5kg etc?

Also i only ordered a full set so 2x each of 10,15,20,25. WIll i need more then this or can i use metal plates to make up the difference?
You can buy technique plates that are the exact same size as a 10kg plate but weigh 2.5kg or 5kg plates. They are usually made out of some fragile composite/plastic-y material that cannot be dropped. There is a young girl in my club whose max snatch is like 36kg or something so she uses the tech plates even in competition.

I would think you'd want a pair of 2.5kg and 5kg metal plates in addition to your 160kg set, if not also a pair of 1.25 and 1kg plates.

I think the reason the big plates are most common are because you can't drop metal plates or tech plates.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Chris Walls

The tech plates I had could be dropped... they could take a hell of a pounding. They were also like $160/pair...
Chris Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Zach Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
The tech plates I had could be dropped... they could take a hell of a pounding. They were also like $160/pair...
Where did you buy them from?
Zach Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Arien Malec

You can get 10# rubber plates from a bunch of different places.
Greg sells some here:

http://www.cathletics.com/zen/index....81b5177e67ab1a

Just don't drop them (often) because they deform.

There are more expensive technique plates that you can buy that are made to be dropped -- that's overkill unless you are outfitting your own gym.

Greg sells them as do a bunch of other folks.

kg denominated change plates are:
http://www.cathletics.com/zen/index....81b5177e67ab1a
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
Zach Stevens

I want to buy everything in kilos since my bumpers are in kilo, do most people not need 5 or 7.5kg bumper plates? This will not be for a gym just for me, right now i can power snatch 105lbs and power clean and jerk 170lbs, should i just buy some kg change plates and be ok with 10,15,20,25s?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
Arien Malec

Yep, don't go for the training plates, then. You should be fine with 40kg. You can work lower weights form the hang and the knee before you work to the floor.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Zach Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Yep, don't go for the training plates, then. You should be fine with 40kg. You can work lower weights form the hang and the knee before you work to the floor.
Alright cool, i will be doing Pendlays progression anyway so probably won be off the floor for a while.

Also i found some nice DHS 5kg training bumpers for $100. I might grab those.