Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Keith Miller

Default Programming Question

This is a question for Greg or anyone else who has done the Strength and Development Specificity Program (basically Bulgarian).

A bit about me, I'm a masters lifter, 38, 5'7" and around 180 lbs. Been lifting for about 10 yrs, the last 4 of which just maintaining while in law school, working and studying for the bar exam (which I passed). I won the 85 kg class at Masters Nationals this past year, but really want to improve my numbers, especially my snatch. I figure I have about 17 weeks until next years Masters Nationals in early April, so I decided on this program.

Now, my dilemma. The program calls for 5 days a week (not a problem right now), M-W and F-Sa. I'm normally at the gym on Thurs b/c I coach (Oly weightlifting), so would like to switch the days around for this. I was thinking of doing Sat on Thurs, and Fri on Sat. Is this doable?? I know your section on Bulgarian programming states that there is alot that can be manipulated and adjusted on this, but I just wanted to clear this up.

Thanks in advance!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Keith -

Doing that would be fine. Normally I would do Mon-Thu and Sat with Tue-Thu-Sat being the heaviest days and Mon-Wed being the lighter days (and Fri being a lighter day if trained on).

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Keith -

Doing that would be fine. Normally I would do Mon-Thu and Sat with Tue-Thu-Sat being the heaviest days and Mon-Wed being the lighter days (and Fri being a lighter day if trained on).
Thanks!! I was thinking of doing the same thing, as that would work the best for me. My max for the day lifts were not anything to write home about, but weren't bad either. Hopefully, these will start moving upwards very soon!!

Really appreciate the input, and this program clears up alot of the Bulgarian-ish training questions I've had since I decided to start implementing it!!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

You should start seeing an increase in the weights you're hitting after a couple weeks as you adjust to it. Good luck!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Keith Miller

Okay, just got done with my first week, except for the Front squats today, but going to do those in just a little bit.

Quick question, Monday's max day had me hit 80 kg SN, about 90% of max, then Wed and today hit 75 kg and miss 80 3-4 times. Today, 80 was nowhere close and my down sets just felt off. Is this normal, or should I take a deload week and restart??

I'm not totally sure what to do here, I've felt all week like getting in to lift was a bit of a chore, and I rarely feel that way. Plus, the stiff-legged deads on Thursday practically destroyed my hammies and back, I think it was thhe 8 reps!!!

I appreciate the advice and help. I'm planning on doing a local meet on Jan 14, the Las Vegas Open at John Broz's gym, so hopefully I can put up some PR's!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Keith -

You're not going to lift more each day or each week. You have to roll with it and let yourself adjust. On the days you're not feeling good, don't push it. There will be days when your "max" is 75%. That's fine. You will always have peaks and valleys, but over time, the valleys will get shallower.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Keith -

You're not going to lift more each day or each week. You have to roll with it and let yourself adjust. On the days you're not feeling good, don't push it. There will be days when your "max" is 75%. That's fine. You will always have peaks and valleys, but over time, the valleys will get shallower.
This was pretty much what I was thinking, but THANKS for confirming it!! I'll push on and just try to get what I can!! I'll just say that it is a bit hard on the ego somewhat.