Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
I think I'll hold out for an option D. Or Not! We just go to the CSU-Chico track on Fridays and mix things up. Lst time it was 4x200m with ~4min rest between efforts. then 3x100m.

Some days it is bounding up the stadium stairs, jumps, hops etc. followed by 100's or 200's. Each day has been differnet and it seriously kicks my fanny.

You are BTW ALWAYS invited to hang in Chico!
I seem to recall an old CF workout that was like 8x400 with 90 seconds rest. I think I'm going to hit the track this weekend. I need to get working on my 100s and 200s.

It was worth a shot to get my all-expenses paid trip to Chico.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Russell Greene

My favorite mid-distance running workout is 200's on 45 seconds. Run the 200, rest until 45 seconds is up, repeat. My record is doing this is for 6:45. It gets a lot done, in a short amount of time, without taking too much away from recovery.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #13
Ken Urakawa

We used to do a similar protocol at the track stadium at ASU--12 rounds, starting every 45 seconds of sprint up, get back down any way you could. First few rounds, it took about 18 or 20 seconds to get back to the start, after about 8, you were lucky to make it by 30.
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Mark Madonna

Default Short Sprints

I do is 5 to 10 meter sprints, I set 2 objects 10 to 20 meters apart from each other, stand in the middle then sprint to one object, then to the other object, then back to the middle. I rest for a couple of seconds then repeat this 6 times.

Other things I do with this will be to mix in a bear crawl, crab, forward roll, etc... then go back to the sprints. I try to do this 3 times during the workout, once a week.
Mark Madonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Robb Wolf

Mark-
this reminds me of the training Fred Hatfield used for Evander Hollifields training:
http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html

Scott K- did'nt you give this a try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Madonna View Post
I do is 5 to 10 meter sprints, I set 2 objects 10 to 20 meters apart from each other, stand in the middle then sprint to one object, then to the other object, then back to the middle. I rest for a couple of seconds then repeat this 6 times.

Other things I do with this will be to mix in a bear crawl, crab, forward roll, etc... then go back to the sprints. I try to do this 3 times during the workout, once a week.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:14 AM   #16
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Scott K- did'nt you give this a try?
Did I try Holyfield's workout? No, I did get into the ring for one fight (lost a decision), but Notre Dame required that we show up for their training which was standard pushups and situps. 2 hours of that per day plus MBA classes didn't leave much time for pursuing real training on my own. I think I actually detrained over the course of ND's boxing training compared to just doing CF and sprint workouts in the months leading up to it.

Fitness Spotlight
Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #17
Scotty Hagnas

I did the three minute drill some years back. (in the Dark Ages of my training) That was my intro to intervals and real met-con, and one of the only times that I have ever met Pukie. After that eye-opening, I have always included some met-con in my training.

I thought my bike riding and strength workouts had me in good shape.... Now, the three min. drill seems pretty tame compared to Crossfit.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
Joshua Hass

When I'm back in the rear with my unit, we do 30 second sprints followed by 30 seconds of walking, for 10 minutes, then walk for 5 minutes. We then do another 10 minutes of the 30/30s and then stretch.

The same day the following week, we sprint for 30 seconds, walk 30, sprint for a minute, walk for a minute, sprint for 2 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, sprint for 4 minutes, walk for 4, sprint for 7, walk for 7, and then work our way back down, followed by stretching.

Both of these are pretty good smokers that suck while doing them, but you feel invigorated after you're done. Sick, I know.
Joshua Hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #19
Scott Kustes

Josh, how does one sprint for 2 minutes?

Fitness Spotlight