Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #2721
Derek Simonds

29 February 2012 Wednesday "Happy Leap Day"

1 Hour of hotel room exercise consisting of band work in every direction, ABZ, lunges and jumps.

I had a chiro appointment this morning and after the adjustment I feel much better already. The doc was worried I wasn't going to come back after last weeks adjustment. That e-stim therapy is interesting...

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #2722
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
29 February 2012 Wednesday "Happy Leap Day"

1 Hour of hotel room exercise consisting of band work in every direction, ABZ, lunges and jumps.

I had a chiro appointment this morning and after the adjustment I feel much better already. The doc was worried I wasn't going to come back after last weeks adjustment. That e-stim therapy is interesting...
E-stim's addicting. How many adjustments does the chiro think to get the rib right? Did he show you any self adjustments or exercises to deal with the lack of kyphosis in the upper back?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #2723
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Hotel room exercises can be highly liberating. I loved doing bw bulgarian split squats. Jumps, a bit iffy for the folks down one floor
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #2724
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
E-stim's addicting. How many adjustments does the chiro think to get the rib right? Did he show you any self adjustments or exercises to deal with the lack of kyphosis in the upper back?
Ice and e-stim feels good. We are going to work on some next visit. He felt like things were pretty darn good right now but I am going back on Monday for one more visit.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #2725
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Hotel room exercises can be highly liberating. I loved doing bw bulgarian split squats. Jumps, a bit iffy for the folks down one floor
I will add BGSS to my retinue. I can wear my backpack for added weight as needed! I was doing lateral hops, front and back high knees all kinds of stuff and never once thought about the people below me. Good point!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #2726
Derek Simonds

1 March 2012 PM

BJJ Open Mat: I worked with a couple of people on their belt test requirements.

BJJ Fundamentals: I did the warm up then worked with a couple of guys on the self defense moves. Did some live drilling from mount for about 10 minutes and called it a night.

2 March 2012 AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 80 X 10 X 5
P/U 1 X 6

Ring Holds 10 Sec X 3
DB Floor Press 35 X 15 X 3
Chin Up 2 X 4
DB Curlz 30 X 10 X 3

I, Y, T X 2LB DB X 15 X 2

Got to hang out with my daughter for a while this morning she got up and was dressed earlier then usual. Good times. Press just keeps on going. My rib was sensitive after yesterdays adjustment so I decided to give it one more day before I did FS or DL.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #2727
Derek Simonds

2 March 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Open Mat and Competition Class: It was a good night. We had several other purple belts in attendance and even had one bigger then me. A lot bigger then me. My gas was good, no pain and I was very aggressive. All that counts for a successful evening.

3 March 2012 Saturday

D W/U

Ran for 16:45 non stop with my wife. First time running that far in this ramp up. At 16:45 I started walking because I could feel a general unpleasant tightness in the IT bands and my right ankle. Good pacing. Good foot strikes and no DOMS. This running thing is coming together.

FS 45 X 5 X 2, 95 X 5 X 2, 135 X 5 X 3

4 March 2012 Sunday

Hypothermia for time (I will explain below) Hard to believe but yes you can get that in Florida...

5 March 2012 Monday

D W/U

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5 X 2, 185 X 5 X 3

Front, Rear and Side Raises with 3 LB DB's X 12 X 3

Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #2728
Derek Simonds

So I have been saving my shekels specifically for a boat. It has been a long time but I finally found one that I could buy without going into debt and fit all of my criteria. That turned out to be really challenging. I really feel like I stole this boat and a good deal is truly a state of mind so it is a good deal!

Here is the latest addition to the family.

Saturday was great. We camped in the Mosquito Lagoon on an island with all my friends who are fathers for our annual event. The weather was beautiful. Unfortunately none us have a career as a weather forecaster. We all thought (maybe hoped is a better term) that the severe weather and cold front that was projected to come through Saturday night would go north of us. It didn't. We got no sleep Saturday night and the tent we were in leaked like crazy. Jr and me were under our sleeping bags with our pillows over our heads. It was kind of funny.

The kids were awesome. When we got up at 6:45 and saw that we were between bands we decided to break camp and haul butt. Our little boat did everything you could ask of it. We got soaked getting around the island but once we got the bow pointed into the wind and heading back to the ramp she ran great.

It was a windy (gusting to 30 MPH), wet and cold for us 54 degrees. We were all shivering like mad by the time we got the boat loaded. I really am proud of how well the kids handled the crazy weather and they never complained once. They both even stood in the rain to help load the boat.

We got home and all 3 of us climbed into one bed and went back to sleep. Later in the day after we got everything cleaned up we took Tracy out for a spin. Laney was much better prepared with her windbreaker and was ready to roll. Laney told me she will be getting her boater safety certification as soon as she turns 10. Here she is helping me put the boat in at the ramp.

And Tracy bundled up like she was Nanook of the North.

These are the kinds of memories I cherish. I think Arien said it best and I am paraphrasing "if the money spent creates memories then it was worthwhile". This was worthwhile.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #2729
Arien Malec

That post composed of 100% awesomeness.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #2730
Derek Simonds

05 March 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Open Mat: Grappled and really worked on a couple of different open guard techniques. Friday night we learned a technique off a kimura attempt where you react by grabbing your opponents belt with your arm that is underhooking his arm. Sounds complicated but it is so easy and I nailed it in live grappling. I think this is going to be a good technique for me.

BJJ Fundamentals: Lots of breakfalls and two kinds of side control escapes.

06 March 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 85 X 10 X 5
P/U 2 X 8

Skull Crusher + Prison Press 35 LBs 12, 12, 20
BB Curlz 45 X 12, 55 X 12 X 2

The press was quite hard on the first two sets the last three were hard but manageable. I was surprised at my RPE for them. I would have put the first two at a solid 8. Not happy with that.

Lots of stuff going on right now at work. Had a great night with the family and am looking forward to another one tonight.