Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Ryan Hutchings

Default Ryan's First Olympic Training Log

This is my first attempt at Olympic Weightlifting. I have been powerlifting for about 6 months and have decided to transition into Oly. My best lifts were 385 Squat / 275 Bench / 405 Deadlift (all in pounds) at 5' 8", 200 lbs. (I'm carrying too much fat and should be able to lose 20 or 30 lbs comfortably as my training advances.)

In keeping a log here I hope to receive guidance and suggestions based on the information I provide. Unfortunately, I have no access to a coach nor can I record videos because I'm deployed and will be for at least 3 more months. I absolutely plan to find an Olympic Weightlifting gym (or an Oly friendly one) and a coach when I get home. Thanks in advance to everyone.

I've attached the training template I'll be using.--> newprogramoly.zip
Ryan Hutchings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 1: the Snatch - 30 MAR

This session was from 30 MAR 12.

To learn the Snatch tonight I divided it into 3 segments and added each segment until the whole movement felt comfortably. This method worked wonderfully and I can't wait to do the same with the Clean and Jerk. On to the first session...

Session A

Technique training/Warm-up

Overhead Squat - 45 x 3/3/3/3/3
Muscle Snatch + Overhead Squat - 45 x 3/3/3/3/3
Low Hang Snatch + Overhead Squat - 45 x 3/3/3

At this point I felt comfortable with the full version of the lift; segmenting worked wonderfully!

Snatch
45 x 3
45 x 3
50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 3
65 x 3

Front Squat (Oly)
65 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5

Pendlay Row
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8

Jump-Rope and some spinal decompression stuff.

Notes
As I said before, this was an amazing session. I really feel like I made great progress and that this method is going to work wonderfully. I'm very excited! Stay tuned.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 2: the Clean and Jerk

I began by training the lift in the segments I had predetermined.

Session B

Behind-the-Neck Jerk - 45 x 3/4/3
Push Jerk - 45 x 3/3/3
Split Jerk - 45 x 3/3/3
Front Squat + Split Jerk Ė 45 x 2
Muscle Clean Ė 45 x 4/3/2
Muscle Clean + Front Squat +Split Jerk Ė 45 x 3/3
Hang Clean + Front Squat + Split Jerk Ė 55 x 2, 65 x 2

At this point I pieced it all together.

Clean and Jerk (Split)
75 x 2
95 x 2
115 x 2

Overhead Squat (Snatch Grip)
65 x 5 Ė Lost my balance and after reducing the weight I realized it was because I didnít have a focal point.
55 x 5
55 x 5

Bench Press
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8

Chin-Ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 3

Jump-Rope between sets of chins.

Notes
This was a fine session, but with some difficulties. First Iíll say that although the majority says the Snatch is the more technical lift of the two Olympic lifts, the Clean and Jerk gives me more trouble. Maybe itís because of the difference in weight used, or the method of pulling, but something makes it more difficult to me.

I was kind of tired by the time I had the full sequence ironed out, so hopefully next time Iíll be able to train the whole lift sooner and fresher.

I decided to learn and train the Split Jerk as opposed to the non-split and Iím glad I did, because it wasnít as difficult as I thought it would be and I think it will allow me to C&J more weight down the road.

All in all, despite having trouble learning the C&J, Iím confident that with many, many repetitions I will begin to perfect the technique. It may sound typical, but I feel sure of the manner of the motions and their intentions; i.e. triple extension, power shrugging, catching. I understand the movement of the body according to the bar is as active as the movement of the bar itself; what should move the bar and when; what is more and less efficient and I think knowing these things is going to make me successful.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Ryan Hutchings

Default Correcting my C&J

After reading further, (actually a Catalyst article by Greg http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...?articleID=125) I'm pretty confident that the problem I'm having with the C&J is because I am not using the same "hip contact" as when I Snatch. I didn't realize it was supposed to be done in the C&J also. (albeit a little lower than hips, actually upper thigh)

I was basically pulling straight from the floor trying to use triple extension (of the ankles, knees, and hips) with zero contact, aside from the bar touching my shins while on the floor.

Now I know, and G.I. Joe says that's half the battle.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 3

Session A

Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, snatches and C&Js with a bar only.

Snatch 1
55 x 2
65 x 2
75 x 2
85 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 2

Clean 2
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5

Clean and Jerk (Split) 3
105 x 1
115 x 1
135 x 1

Front Squats 4 (Cleaned the weight up on the first rep)
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Pendlay Row 5
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8

Push Jerk 6
135 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3

Conditioning/Cool-down 7

1) Snatch: Since Iím still getting a feel for the full movement I used a ton of reps with light weight which made me tired a little early. Now that Iím comfortable with the sequence, Iíll start with 95 and increase the weight in a similar manner to prevent early fatigue.

2) Clean: Iíll pretend I did Cleans on purpose, and not admit that I forgot to do the Jerk entirely...

3) Clean and Jerk (Split): Next time, as with the Snatch, Iíll start with 135 and work up to prevent early fatigue. I feel really comfortable with both the Snatch and the C&J now, but I will still increase the weight for work sets very slowly.

4) Front Squats: I cleaned the weight up on the first rep then performed the set of Front Squats. Good stuff, no issues.

5) Pendlay Row: It was business as usual for these.

6) Push Jerk: These were supposed to be Push Presses, but when I was recalling the session I realized that I was rotating under the bar and locking my elbows much more than I was pressing at the top. Iíll use that observation and occasion as a learning experience.

7) Conditioning/Cool-down: Iím getting much better at jumping rope. Iím also still trying to work a tweak in my upper-middle back while doing some decompression stuff; hanging from pull-up bars, suspending from top position on dip bars.

All of the work that doesnít contribute to perfecting form and achieving baseline weights with the Snatch and C&J is low priority for now; Iím mostly using it for conditioning at present. My overall confidence in the technique of both lifts is sky-high. I am very excited about all of this.

As you may have noticed, surely to the disapproval of some, I am adopting a "Bulgarian training system" in that I will be training every day. Once I have baseline weights for the Snatch and C&J I will start varying intensities, but not reducing frequency.

Thanks for reading through all this! Stay tuned.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 4: Greasin' the groove and getting a little rest.

Session A

Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, snatches and C&Js with a bar only.

Snatch 1
95 x 3
95 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 1

Clean and Jerk (Split) 2
135 x 1

Clean 3
135 x 2
135 x 2

Conditioning/Cool-down 4

1) Snatch: Lockout felt weak.

2) Clean and Jerk (Split): Lockout felt weak.

3) Clean: Here, I switched from the C&J to the Clean to avoid the lockout during the Jerk.

4) Conditioning/Cool-down: Same old.

I got in the gym and realized after a few lifts that my lockout was feeling weak and shaky. I decided it was better to ďknow when to fold Ďem,Ē so to speak. I performed a few sets of the main lifts, hit the jump-rope for a bit, and then called it an evening; just to grease the groove. Weíll see how it goes tonight!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Ryan Hutchings

My technique on both the Snatch and the Clean and Jerk are my number one priority right now, so I've decided to drop all the other lifts until I really nail it down. I don't want anything at all to interfere with perfecting my form. That being said, I got some really great reps in tonight on both.

Snatch
95 x 2 x 8

Clean and Jerk
115 x 2 x 5

Finished up with some jump-rope.

Something else I may start doing is on alternating days performing more reps of one lift than the other; for example, on Session A do 8 sets of Snatch and 5 sets of C&J, then Session B 5 sets of Snatch and 8 sets of C&J.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Ryan Hutchings

took the night off last night for a little rest. i'm ready to get after it tonight!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 5: Learning!

Session A

Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, snatches and C&Js with a bar only. Jump-Rope.

Snatch 1
115 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 1
95 x 1

Clean and Jerk (Split) 2
95 x 1
115 x 1
115 x 1
115 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1

Front Squats 3
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Behind-the-Neck Snatch Grip Jerks 4
45 x 3
45 x 3
45 x 3

Drop Snatches 5
45 x 3
45 x 3
45 x 3

Conditioning/Cool-down 6

1) Snatch: I identified a technique issue concerning my lockout at the top. I wasn't rotating my shoulder blades back and up, squeezing them together, nor was I truly jerking in the sense that I was catching the bar and pressing it to lockout. I'm very happy this happened because it verified a few things; I understand what I should be doing, I am paying close attention to what I am ACTUALLY doing, and because of these two things I'll know how/what to correct.

2) Clean and Jerk (Split): My form felt better after doing a few reps. I think this lift more than the Snatch is technically dependent on heavier weight being lifted and that's why it seems like it's giving me more trouble. Basically, my form felt like it improved once 135 was on the bar. Learning, lifting, loving.

3) Front Squats: Did these out of a rack, held in a C&J racked position.

4) BTN Snatch Grip Jerks: These were for practicing rotating my shoulder blades up and backward, squeezing them together and performing the Jerk without pressing. I'm satisfied with these, so I'll probably keep them and slowly increase the weight.

5) Drop Snatches: These were for practicing the combination of dropping into the catch position while correctly getting under the bar, rotating my shoulder blades back and up and locking out the elbows without pressing the bar.

6) Conditioning/Cool-down: I think I'm going to start doing my jumping-rope to warm-up at the beginning of the training session, like I did today. I feel like doing it at the end doesn't contribute to cooling down and that it is more useful as a warm-up for several reasons on which I won't elaborate so I don't bore you to death.

This was a really good session all-around. It was really reassuring in a number of ways. I want to be able to use 115 for Snatch and 135 for C&J for all sets for simplicity's sake, but I need to remember to not do so if everything isn't clicking. Tomorrow should be just work on the classic lifts with an emphasis on the Snatch!

Last edited by Ryan Hutchings : 04-06-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: incorrect wording
Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 6: Baseline

Session B

Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, snatches and C&Js with a
bar only. Box jumps. Jump-Rope.

Snatch 1
95 x 1
95 x 1
115 x 1
115 x 1
95 x 1
95 x 1
95 x 1*
95 x 1*
95 x 2*
95 x 1*

*Great form! (felt that way at least!)

Clean and Jerk (Split) 2
95 x 1
115 x 1
115 x 1*
115 x 1*
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1*
135 x 1*

Behind-the-Neck Snatch Grip Jerks 3
50 x 3
50 x 3
50 x 3

Drop Snatches 4
50 x 3
50 x 3
50 x 3

Conditioning/Cool-down 5
Jump-Rope, Sit-ups, and some spinal decompression stuff.

1) Snatch: My form was on at 95, but not at 115, so if I get that through my head I'll use 95 for a few sets next time, then try 100 and not jump to 115. There's something in that gap that I need to build in my muscles, technique, or both that has to be developed before I can jump to 115.

2) Clean and Jerk (Split): I'm pretty content with my performance on these as well. After nailing 115 a couple times I moved up to 135, then after a few sub par pulls I started honing in on my form with that.

3) BTN Snatch Grip Jerks: I increased the weight by 5 lbs from last time, and everything went just fine.

4) Drop Snatches: Also increased these by 5 lbs and everything went well.

5) Conditioning/Cool-down: Had some extra energy from not squatting, so I did a little (minimal) conditioning stuff.

I think I've established baseline for the classic lifts, as far as technique is concerned: 95 Snatch and 135 C&J. (I could probably heave more weight up sloppily, but I consider my max to be the most I can lift using proper form) I'll start to increase the weight by 5 lbs after hitting several in a row during a session with great form like I did today.