Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Matt Edwards

Default Clean Technique question

During the Snatch, my long arms tend to pay off and don't cause a problem. However, my build doesn't quite suit the Clean that well. Think of what you'd like to see in a deadlifter and that's me (elongated upper traps from lower trap dominance, and very long arms relative to torso [in my "neutral" position my fingertips are only 4-5 inches from my patella]). I've always brushed about mid/low-thigh during my Cleans. Recently I've begun wondering how to be able to brush higher and I've found if I start my pull in an isometric shrug position this moves the brush point up roughly 6-8 inches and right in the sweet spot. So this doesn't become a long-term plan, after my sessions I'm doing 1 set of Half-Kneel DB Overhead Shrugs and 1 set of DB Shrug Isometrics in an effort to shorten my upper traps.

Does this course of action seem reasonable or is there a different path I should be taking?
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

There's nothing wrong w shrugging the bar up and back at the top to get the bar higher on the thigh. I think your overall plan is good, but I don't think you need to aim to get rid of the shrugging entirely.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Matt Edwards

Thanks Greg. I didn't mean the goal was to get rid of the "shrug" at the top, but rather get rid of the isometric shrug that begins before the first pull.

Good interview with Robertson couple weeks back by the way, it's always refreshing to hear a strength coach speak with some anatomy/biomechanics background instead of your atypical meathead.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Edwards View Post
Thanks Greg. I didn't mean the goal was to get rid of the "shrug" at the top, but rather get rid of the isometric shrug that begins before the first pull.
I understood that, but re-reading my post I see how it sounds like I meant shrugging the bar up to finish the second pull - don't do that. To clarify, as you pass the knees and get ready for the explosion at mid- to upper-thigh, shrugging the shoulders back and somewhat up to help bar position is fine.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote