Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Brian Williams

Default Snatch Form

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my Snatch form. Here's 3 different lifts from the side in slow-mo. Let me know if other angles would be easier as well. All feedback appreciated!!!

Lift 1
Lift 2
Lift 3

Thanks!
Brian
Brian Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Matt Morris

Hey Brian,

Welcome to the forum. What % of your best lift is this? Right now, it seems like you are much stronger than you are snatching, because the bar path is pretty far out in front of you and you're able to control the bar in the catch. I'd say that your bottom position and catch looks pretty good...here is what I would try to get you to change, and in this order:

1) Set up w/ the bar an inch or two further away from your shins and your but an inch or two down.
2) ACTIVATE your lats!
3) On your first pull, lead upwards w/ your shoulders or the back of your neck. Right now, your butt is the first thing that comes up.
4) Patience with your second pull. Keeping those lats nice and tight the whole first pull, wait as long as you can to initiate the second pull, trying to make contact w/ the bar at the hips, and not the thighs.
5) Elbows high and outside when to turn over into your third pull.

Best of luck! Also, video at a 45 degree angle can be helpful to analyse.
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Brian Williams

Thanks Matt!

My best snatch is 135#, but it's the OHS that is limiting me for sure. I can power clean 225# fairly easily, so I know have more in the snatch and have been working the OHS issue.

I'll follow your pointers and try to work the weight up next week with both side and 45 degree angles.

Thanks again!
Brian
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Gareth Rees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my Snatch form. Here's 3 different lifts from the side in slow-mo. Let me know if other angles would be easier as well. All feedback appreciated!!!

Lift 1
Lift 2
Lift 3

Thanks!
Brian
Hey Brian,

The first is inconsistent to the second and third video.
Most important thing I'd personally say, and what should be prioritised is for sure that you sweep the bar from the floor.
I think you're wrong, I don't think your biggest issue is the OHS, that looked fine to me.
I think you could probably quite easily address most of your issues by lowering the hips in the start position, and then when you begin your pull just get your ass the hell back, your knees out of the way, engage your lats and SWEEP the bar. You want to move kind of back and up, not just up. Be patient with the extention, and when your knees are nearly straight, then and only then explode! BOOM!
That'd sound to me like a good place to start
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Brian Williams

Thanks Gareth - what I meant by the OHS is the issue is that it's a weak lift for me. At this weight it's okay, but 135# is my 1RM (although I haven't tested in a while so it may be a confidence thing too - will do both next week.)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Brian Williams

Ok, here's the next videos of practice. I was so focused on the first two pulls I was having a hard time doing full squats as the weights went up. My third pull is obviously not fast enough, but I was focused on the feedback on getting my butt down, activating my lats, and leading with my shoulders on the way up. Let me know if it's better and what to focus on next please!

Snatch Video

Thanks again!
Brian
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Brian Williams

Bump. Anyone?

See above post for video to critique. And here's more form practice from the hang after going thru the DVD from Greg.

http://youtu.be/G4GHWFnOWjA

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

Those lifts from the hang are very good - you're right that you mainly need to pull down harder.

The last video of the snatches from the floor were definitely an improvement. You're a little behind the bar w the bar too far forward early in the lift and opening the hips too soon later. I would bring your hips up slightly and the bar back slightly in your start position. When yuo first break it off the floor, immediately get the bar back a bit and make sure your shoulders are not moving behind it. In other words, push with the legs without extending the hips.

Then wait longer/higher until you start the second pull. Way later than you think it should be. That's why you look better from the hang - you're in a good position to start the second pull. When you start on the floor, you blow right past that position bc the bar is forward and you're extending your hips too soon. Practice DLing to that hang position, then snatching, and eventually get rid of the pause.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Brian Williams

Awesome - thanks Greg! (I love that you contribute so much to helping people on the boards!) I'll work it and post again in a few weeks or so.