Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #131
Yael Grauer

Really great open mat this morning. I think I got 8 or so 7-minute rounds in, but I was there for a long time. All blue and purple belts, oh except I got to roll with Gabriel Goulart! I just walked up and asked him to roll and he did. It was a nice, slow death.

He told me I need to compete to get stronger, but I don't really want to kick down $75 plus $200 or whatever in gas and hotel and etc. money when there's only one girl in my division esp. when girls often don't show up. And also I feel like I'd almost be sandbagging at this point competing at white belt if I won. So it's really no-win. And I don't feel like cutting a ton of weight and dealing with the aftermath.

Anyway. BJJ... I also had someone talk me through the bow and arrow choke, which I really really like. I usually go for collar chokes from rear mount because they work better on spazzy guys (which is everyone when they're about to get choked out by a girl) than rear-naked chokes, but it's nice to have a third option, esp. when I can't get the collar choke with those really thick gis. I really want to add that to my arsenal.

One of my coaches said what I need to work on is getting my feet to not do dumb things, and also to chain together my sub attempts from guard, which I've been working on, with sweeps, which I'm more comfortable with. Whenever I attempt subs from guard I usually get stack-passed, so I've been chaining sub attempts with defense, instead of sweeps. He also recommended more fundamentals to help me get better with linking, so maybe I will. I think I could swing fundie classes if it's before another one, but when all I do is fund. for an evening, I get bored.

Other than that, I rewrote my list of goals again. So they're the two MovNat things I need to get certified, the CF North Level 1 goals I haven't completed, and then the intermediate and advanced Starting Strength numbers from that one chart, and then I added some from Dan John's latest article on T-Nation, plus to throw some really hard ones in there I thought I'd add the really crazy numbers from the average for female Olympians my age, which are actually not too far from my weight, just their sn and c+j and deadlift numbers. They are actually not that hard for the dead. Like the SS numbers are 176 and 241, and Dan John's is 275, and theirs is 304. I've done 220 in the past with minimal training so how hard can 304 be? Hard, but not entirely out of reach.

So as far as goals, there's 15 of them but since I don't have a rower, a bench, a squat rack, bumper plates or a bar at my house, and my dbs only go up to 50 lbs each, that narrows it down to 6 for now. Three of them are MovNat related... well, I have the 2 I need to get certified plus I want to work on my running, which will incorporate MovNat-inspired running form. And then I want to improve my shoulder press back up to 95, and I have dumbbells that go up to 50 per hand, so I can work on that if I want to, even though it's harder. Plus the goddamn pullups/dips thing, which I'm hoping my ring training will help me with.

So tomorrow I'm going to work more throwing and climbing. Not sure when I'll start playing with the others, but it's nice to have goals, and 6 is a reasonable amount.

Oh yeah, food. I had some awesome hash with poblano peppers and sweet potatoes and eggs and stuff for breakfast. No lunch. I can't eat after I train hard, esp. when it's so humid. It's like the last thing on my mind, I don't think I could make myself do it. So I need to figure out my post-workout nutrition somehow. Dinner is gonna be quite elaborate; ropa vieja and plantain chips with guac and mojitos. We like theme nights during the fights. I also got a soda in case I start falling asleep as I'm staying up til 3AM to wait for these post-fight articles to edit before I crash. Oh and I had some blueberries as a snack.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #132
Yael Grauer

So I just had the worst cramps ever today, which was weird because I've been pretty good food-wise, compared to normal, anyway. Pretty sore today and blah.
Oh well. I don't have tons of magnesium laying around, so I just used chocolate.

Other than that, food was.... leftover hash for breakfast, and then I made these great Paleo meatballs with tomato sauce for dinner, and I had an apple with almond butter. I was up til like 4AM working so I didn't eat a separate breakfast and lunch.

No workout today. Getting ready for week 3 with rings and also some more BJJ. We are going on our very last trip this year on Friday through Sunday, so will need to do the Friday workout before we leave. I'm super psyched about this trip because we get to go to the wolf sanctuary and also to visit Bob Dylan's hometown, plus Todd gets free gas and we have free hotel points, so it should be a super inexpensive fun weekend trip. Plus we want to watch Invicta 2 on my laptop. And some hiking... Fun times. So we'll have to do our ring workout before we leave.

Rings is pretty similar to last week, though they're adding a few really easy exercises to do for a minute each every morning. And I want to add some MovNat in there, too.

BJJ--I definitely want to do Monday and Wednesday intermediate, and hit a few advanced classes, too... depending on how sore I get and how I feel. It'd be a bit crazy to not take advantage of the fact that we have a world champ coaching at my gym. And at the same time, getting certified for MovNat (and getting stronger, etc.) is a top priority...and I don't want to feel sore and beat up all the time. So it's all about finding that balance.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #133
Yael Grauer

So I stayed up 'til like 4AM worrying about some project. I really need to be a lot pickier with what corporate work I take on, so I'm thinking of asking for full payment up front and making some other changes which will help me maintain my sanity. No amount of pay is worth PITA clients, but raising my rates will at least keep some of them away, etc. The good news is that I have some other really great work lined up this week, so I can just forget about this project which is over and done with anyway. I'm super psyched about these new projects.

Anyway, so I got up at 10 and did the rings "daily battery," which is this morning program which I don't think is all that thrilling. One minute each of shaking it out, then hip and trunk rotations, then balance, then a body-weight exercise (push-ups, this week), then a stretch (forward fold, this week), then the hollow body hold, and then a minute of breathing, followed by a glass of water.

I didn't too much today, I took a long nap after my restless night, and then did dishes, and ate a very late meal of eggs and bacon. My 1st real workout was the first day of Week 3 of the Intro to Rings program, which was:

5 sets of 10-second top holds on the rings (and I'm annoyed that I still can't turn them out with stability yet)
5 hollow body pushups (on a 3-3-2-0-3 count)
5 hollow body plank holds, 10 seconds each (and I'm annoyed that I can't do the complete version of these yet and still keep my lower back on the ground)
5 sets of 15-second handstands against the wall (which felt long)

Workout #2 was BJJ; I went to advanced because I was so frustrated with my client today and also I wanted to chill for a bit after the rings thing instead of rushing straight out.

We warmed up with a couple sweeps; first pulled guard... I need to remember to grip at the elbow instead of the wrist/sleeve. Then we'd follow the guard pull by pushing the leg through, spinning underneath, grabbing the ankle and sweeping. Then we worked on a butterfly guard sweep where you basically hold their far side leg on your shoulder and then sweep the other way. And then we worked another variation where this turns into an x-guard sweep the other way after hooking the leg. The guy I was working with was cool.

Drills were person on the bottom from x-guard and top trying to pass. I was in a group with two younger guys, but it was good, they worked hard and we were actually pretty evenly matched... I could get some sweeps and some passes but had to work for them and got swept and passed a lot too. And got passed and swept more than I swept and passed, lol. But Gabriel Goulart told me my x-guard sweep was good even though he then told me I didn't have x-guard set up correctly. LOL. But I switched from the first sweep we learned to the second one and that made me happy, haha.

Then we did about 30 minutes of rolling, each person was in for two 5-minute rounds so we all got 15 min each. I was so shot and got worked, but it's okay, I'll get better. And my coach said I was due for a stripe after Chicago, so that makes me happy, I wouldn't mind living in 4-stripe land.

Nice, long class which made me feel better about everything. I also feel like I really need to take advantage of GG being in town and make sure to train with him as much as I can, as long as I still meet my MovNat goals.

Food... eggs and bacon, and Todd made this awesome enchilada soup with avocados and cilantro which I ate when I got home, and I had some marcona almonds too. I should probably eat something else, too, but I just want to take a bath and go to sleep and hope tomorrow is a better day. I have two projects to finish and I *really* love the people I'm working with on those, so they should go well.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #134
Yael Grauer

Got up so late. I have to get off of this sleep rollercoaster! Breakfast was just a banana and then I had some leftover meatballs for lunch, and I had salmon cakes for dinner, with mixed greens, and then like plaintain chips and almonds as snacks.

Was thinking of BJJ today b/c I'm motivated again but I'm still kind of sore from yesterday and I wanted to cook dinner, etc. and do the ring workout, so just stayed home. I have to go tomorrow and Thursday to hit my 3 times this week, though, since we're going on the last trip of the year Fri-Sun.

So I just did intro to rings, which was 5 X 5 front scale leg lifts (holding the last one for 5 seconds each set), 5 sets of 2 pull-ups (I can't do 2 in a row, so I did reverse row sit-backs), then 4 X 10 sec. hollow body holds and 4 X 10 sec. Supermans.

Still trying to figure out how to get off the emotional rollercoaster I'm on. I have a lot of say over what I do, so I feel like I should be able to control things somehow.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #135
Yael Grauer

Workout #1 was more rings; 5 sets of 10-second top holds, 5 hollow-body pushups which are super prolonged, 5 10-second hollow body holds, and 5 15-second handstand holds against the wall.

Workout #2 was BJJ, I went to a fundamentals class b/c I'm pretty beat from the 2.5 hour session yesterday. We worked on a couple judo throws and takedowns from T-position, then recomposing the guard, and also we worked on a sweep that's like a kimura sweep, and then we worked on the actual kimura, and then we drilled a combination of all of those things.

Today was my 100th check-in at Alliance, so I'm pretty stoked. That's more times than I've gone to any other gym I've trained at... kind of cool.

Food... I had some fruit and cheese and a few (gasp!) whole wheat crackers at Barnes and Noble, where I was completing some work and picking up a copy of the new Black Belt (where I have an article, woo hoo!) Then I had a banana and a bunch of chili with sweet potatoes and green beans after jits.

I'm going away on this trip which we've been planning forever tomorrow, so probably won't post another workout 'til Sunday or Monday, unless hiking counts. Should be a lot of fun. We're going to Ely to the wolf sanctuary, hiking in Duluth (lighthouses!) and, what I'm most excited about is going to Zimmy's in Hibbing, since I'm obsessed with Bob Dylan. I will probably eat some rice during this trip, lol. I think I'm doing pretty well with my diet, though, comparatively. Aside from 2-3 chais or coffee drinks a week and a few small cheat meals, it's pretty spot on.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #136
Yael Grauer

So I'm helplessly behind on posting for a couple of reasons. First of all, being gone on Friday through Sunday. Todd and I got engaged (!!!!!!) and I'm so thrilled and excited and just trying to catch my breath. Obviously, posting a list of things I ate on my trip isn't top priority, though maybe writing all the cool restaurants we went to and snacks we ate in the car would be fun, lol. The second reason is because I got slammed with work. Freelancing is feast and famine and I'm enjoying the feast, but it's a TON of work and I likely will be working some very very late nights trying to finish everything up. I have a ton of work lined up for August, and so I hope I still get to train every once in a while. Aside from an epic 4-mile hike, I haven't really worked out I last posted.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #137
Allen Yeh

Congratulations!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #138
Yael Grauer

Thanks, Allen! I am so excited!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #139
Yael Grauer

Okay, excitement aside... I've just been swamped with work and barely sleeping. I am working on putting systems in place to deal with the onslaught... getting some VAs who are possibly available to do work on call...some of the more boring stuff that just takes up a lot of time, working with my transcriptionist, etc.

So yeah, I haven't gone to BJJ since last Thursday. But I did do two rings workouts.
I'm a day off since I skipped Monday since I couldn't access the program until it got fixed--I skipped Friday, too, but I won't be making it up. So I'm doing the Mon-Fri workouts on Tues-Sat.

Tues:
1 minute total top holds
4 X 5 hollow body pushups (the last one at tempo)
4 X 5-second tucks
5 X 20-second handstands

Wed:
5 reps of deep squat repeats
4 X 5 reverse ring pullups, plus 2 slow ones
5 X 10-second hollow body holds followed by 10-second Supermans

Food was pretty good today...bacon and eggs, leftover sweet potatoes and chicken, then some kind of pork with veggies and cauli "rice" and avocado. Also a Larabar and an apple. I did have caffeine. I had to stay up til 3 yesterday finishing an assignment though and then interviewed 2 people and started 2 other projects today, so I get lots of caffeine with sugar to keep things under control for now...until I have more systems in place to help me deal with the onslaught of work. Not that I'm complaining.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #140
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Thanks, Allen! I am so excited!
I had seen the photo on Google+ but was wondering if it was an old picture and I didn't want to say congrats and have it be like months old!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote