Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Nathan Ward

Default Nate's noobie weightlifting log

So I wanted to start this log, not necessarily as a way to track progress, but more to have some of the more experienced folks offer advice and input on what I'm doing.

Current stats:
age 27
bw 214# and dropping. Plan on being in the 190-200 range.
sn 185#
cj 250#
cn 255#
bs 315#
fs 275#

Did the typical "bodybuilding" type work for 2 years or so. Started crossfit full time back in June. That is where I was introduced to the O lifts and Ive really taken a liking to it. On a whim I entered a weightlifting competition on Dec 8th and I decided to actually take time to train these movements instead of just working them into the typical CF work.

This is the set up.
M-W-F Im working the O lifts
T-TH-SAT crossfit

The general plan is this

Day 1
Snatch heavy singles or doubles
Some sort of Clean Pull, Hang Clean or both weight is at a mid range 5x2
Front squat 5x2 80-85% of 1rm

Day 2
Snatch Pulls, Hang Snatch or both. weight is at a mid range 5x2
C&J heavy singles or doubles
Back squat 5x3 80-85% of 1rm

Day 3
Snatch 5x2 with a middle of the road weight.
Some sort of Clean Pull, Hang Clean or both weight is at a mid range 5x2
Front squat 5x3 75% of 1rm

This whole thing feels kind of cobbled together so please offer some advice on adjustments or outright changes if you think it would be beneficial.

Here is what today looked like. 11/19

C&J 5x2
195#

Only miss was when I didnt get my face out of the way @205...

Clean pull + hang clean 5x (2-1)
95#

Really trying to get technique down better so Ive been keeping the weight low on most of my snatch work.

Front squat 5x2
230#
235x3

I probably could have done 235 across all sets but Im still feeling this out.

I will appreciate any and all input you folks have.

Thanks!
Nathan Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Nathan Ward

11/20

Well my week is all screwed up so I lifted again today, big mistake. Felt weak and kept making stupid mistakes in my lifts. The only success was matching my 185# snatch from a month ago.

Here are clips of of a power c&j and a squat c&j. Both at 205#. One thing that jumps out to me right away is Im not even coming close to fully extending. Not sure if its because the weight is too light or what but I was pretty disappointed in seeing this. The jerk on the pc was real sketchy but I felt the jerk on the squat clean was pretty good.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPZjmjypz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06cQxSF8H8
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Nathan Ward

11/28

Thanksgiving and a broken car has screwed my lifting schedule up pretty good this last week. Ive also been off pace on my cf workouts so I did a little of both today.

Power cleans working up too a 1rm
135x10 or so. just getting warm really
185x2
205x2
225x2
245x2
255x1
260x1 5# PR

CF workout was:

Tabata Air Squat

Rest 2 Minutes

10 Minutes EMOM
8 Thrusters 75#
15 Double Unders

Rest 1 Minute

Tabata Air Squat

It was god awful...

Ive been focusing a lot on my diet and started eating paleo about a month ago. As of today Im at a BW of 211#, a 14# decrees and Ive also dropped 4% body fat. Im extremely happy that eating in this deficit hasnt cost me any of my strength.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Nathan Ward

11/30

Legs are completely wrecked from wednesdays CF workout. So I took it easy today.

Split jerk from the rack:
185x1
185x1
185x1
185x1
185x1
205x1
225x1
235x1
245x1
255x close but missed it twice. Should be able to do this with fresh legs. would have been 5#PR
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Nathan Ward

12/1

Today I ran through my own little practice meet. As I expected I wasnt happy with my snatch but I was pretty happy about my c&j. Ive been having shoulder issues that really show up during the snatch. I got a shot today at the sport doc and he says I should be pretty much pain free by saturday. I also got some phys therapy work to do.

Snatch
1 - 145#
2 - 160# miss
3 - 165# miss

Finished the snatch pretty angry with myself. How my shoulder feels on Saturday is really going to dictate what my 2nd and 3rd lifts will be. 145 will be the opener though.

C&J
1 - 225#
2 - 235#
3 - 250#

Hit them all and they felt solid. I was planning on only going up to 245 but I thought Id give my PR a go and it went up pretty damn easy. Depending on how I feel Saturday I might try to add 5# to the PR but Im really focusing on hitting all the lifts not necessarily hitting a new PR.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Ward View Post
11/20

Well my week is all screwed up so I lifted again today, big mistake. Felt weak and kept making stupid mistakes in my lifts. The only success was matching my 185# snatch from a month ago.

Here are clips of of a power c&j and a squat c&j. Both at 205#. One thing that jumps out to me right away is Im not even coming close to fully extending. Not sure if its because the weight is too light or what but I was pretty disappointed in seeing this. The jerk on the pc was real sketchy but I felt the jerk on the squat clean was pretty good.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPZjmjypz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06cQxSF8H8
On your jerk try to keep your back toe in so both toes are pointed forward. It sounds silly but makes a difference.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Nathan Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
On your jerk try to keep your back toe in so both toes are pointed forward. It sounds silly but makes a difference.
Not sure I understand. Can you clarify?

12/5

After the snatch disaster on Monday I went back in the gym with 75# on the bar and just worked on technique. I also finally started using a hook grip which I should have been using from the get go. I worked up to 175# with zero misses when I couldn't even get 160 up the other day. I had more in the tank but I shut it down. No need to push it 3 days out. This was a huge confidence boost for me and I intend to carry it into the meet on Saturday.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Nathan Ward

Well my first meet is in the books. My first success of the day was weighing in at 93kg. Ive never had to make weight for something in my life so I was kinda worried about it.

Snatch
66kg 145#
73kg 160#
82kg 180#

C&J
103kg 227#
107kg 235#
114 kg 251# miss

Im really happy with my snatch numbers because I had been struggling with it for a few weeks. I think I started it bit to low because I had more that 82 in the tank. Either way I hit all 3 which was the goal

My C&J warm up was real sketchy. I kept stumbling around and not getting fully locked out. First and second lift felt excellent so I tried for a PR on the third but missed it. Looking back I think the jump form the second to third attempt was too big but whatever, Ill remember that for next time.

Now that I have the first one under my belt Im really excited to get back in my gym and start getting some more weight on the bar. Hopefully I can find another local meet over the next few months.

GF got a pic of my 2nd C&J
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Nathan Ward

Snatch
working up to a planned pr but missed. my current pr is becoming easy though
185 current
195x
190x

Front squat
7x2 @235
280 PR
285x

Felt pretty good tonight. Im really going to start focusing on the front squat. Goal is 300#
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Keith Miller

Pretty amazing what the hook grip will do for you, isn't it?? It'll get even better once your thumb adapts more to the stress of lifting with it. Just be sure to not resort to straps for all your snatch work, keep hook grip in about half the time to keep thumbs adapted to the work-load!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote