Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Blake Barnes

Scott,

It looks like you move pretty well and have a good sense of the technique. You're doing a good job keeping the bar close and staying over it during the first pull. In the second pull, you're lacking extension from the knees and the ankles so all the power is coming from the hips. Think about pushing against the floor with your legs as long as you can and getting that full extension. This may be the reason why you're jumping forward as well. I would suggest doing snatch/clean pulls to help.

Also, if your want to gain some overhead strength, do some presses/push presses and snatch presses/push presses behind the neck. You can do clean-grip overhead squats or squat jerks as a warm-up instead.

Additionally, I agree with Richard and Javier when they say you should have a coach with you that knows what they're talking about to help correct you as you train.
Blake Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Scott Keefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bendekovic View Post
Just kidding about the skipping class thing. Get to the gym when you can, life comes first. I just get a bit excited about live training from top coaches like Dan Bell. I spent many hours reading about the lifts, watching videos, posting videos and then going to my garage and trying to emulate. It served as a great pastime and adequate training. Then I had the good fortune to start working with a top level lifter and coach (in group setting), Isaac Morillas in Madrid, Spain. And even though, due to language differences, I can't take full advantage of his instruction it has made a huge difference. He does not demonstrate often with a loaded bar but one day at a body weight of about 71kg. he power cleaned 100 kg., fairly light for him, and watching, up close and live, his set-up, concentration and especially speed at which the bar moved from the ground to his shoulders was a real education. And although I had previously lifted with a CrossFit Games competitor, this redefined speed. Anyway, I noticed you holding the bottom position of a couple of snatches, that is something strongly encouraged by Greg Everett, so good for you. You seem to be jumping all over the place in your set-up and progressions, maybe by design. The below link might help give you some consistency. I am a huge fan of Catalyst Athletics and Greg Everett, and it is the only weightlifting source of information from which I have actually purchased training tools. I used Greg Everett's DVD to start learning the lifts. So I hope this is not a breach of etiquete but you may find this link from another coach helpful. It is a snatch progression this highly credentialed coach uses as warm-up for accomplished lifters and drills it to his beginners. This link is Part 1 of 4 and you should be able to find the other 3 parts easily.

http://youtu.be/40vSMTQHV0o

I had to throw this in because Isaac is a great guy. The 2009 European Championships.

Awesome videos man.

I do watch a lot of the barbell shrug videos, and I will try out the warm up videos you posted.

I also saw both of your threads you posted a little while ago, and good stuff. If I was more knowledgeable I would try to offer some advice, but sadly I am not.

Just keep up the good lifting, and thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
Scott Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Scott Keefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
Scott,

It looks like you move pretty well and have a good sense of the technique. You're doing a good job keeping the bar close and staying over it during the first pull. In the second pull, you're lacking extension from the knees and the ankles so all the power is coming from the hips. Think about pushing against the floor with your legs as long as you can and getting that full extension. This may be the reason why you're jumping forward as well. I would suggest doing snatch/clean pulls to help.

Also, if your want to gain some overhead strength, do some presses/push presses and snatch presses/push presses behind the neck. You can do clean-grip overhead squats or squat jerks as a warm-up instead.

Additionally, I agree with Richard and Javier when they say you should have a coach with you that knows what they're talking about to help correct you as you train.
Thanks for the feedback man.

I will work on what you said I do notice that my knees never get fully extended. I watch a lot of my videos slowed down on Kinova, and that helps out a lot.

I will think about pushing down more against the ground more though.

I have been feeling like my snatch is getting better and I am getting a better sense of sending the bar up and not so far out.

I will upload some new videos this week coming up.

I have recently starting doing a lot more behind the neck push presses and standing OHP's.

These seem to be helping a lot.

Overall man thanks for the advice, If you got any more or see anything new share it with me, anything is appreciated.

I will get up to Akron to see Daniel Bell soon if I can. It will have to be some time during the summer as I got finals next week and then I am done with college.

Pretty happy about that!

Thanks Everyone.

I do agree with the clean and snatch pulls too, I will start doing these more.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
Scott Keefer

Just hit a PR Clean, a PR Clean and Jerk, and a PR Snatch a week ago just wanted to share.

Here is the clean. The weights 102 kg, it just looks like more.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3eo1fm3Cg

http://www.youtube.com/
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Blake Barnes

Congratulations on the PRs!

It looks like your breaking the elbows a little too soon on the clean. Also, you're hesitating as you transition from the 1st pull to the 2nd pull. Try to make that one fluid movement.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Scott Keefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
Congratulations on the PRs!

It looks like your breaking the elbows a little too soon on the clean. Also, you're hesitating as you transition from the 1st pull to the 2nd pull. Try to make that one fluid movement.
Thanks man.

I have noticed the arm bend, and I am working on it.

I need to get better at controlling and racking the weight with straight arms.

Whenever I keep my arms straight the weight gets away from me sometimes, and it is not racked quite as nicely.

I think I need to work on keeping my arms when dropping to catch the bar better but not bending them early.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Blake Barnes

Instead of actively locking out the arms, think about keeping the arms loose. This way they're only straight because you're simply just not bending them. Try making sure your elbows are turned out and not back. Then, immediately following the extension, think about pulling yourself down under the bar rather than "dropping". You can do some clean high-pulls along with tall cleans and dip cleans to help this portion of the movement.