Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Talking Quick update on IF and PRs...

Okay, so I took an "easy" week, my fifth week in my modified ME BB template. I decided to skip all metcon this week (typically done on the weekends), and do a CF Total one day, and test my max snatch and C&J on two other days. Other than the basic joint mob., some warmup with empty bars, and basic buildup sets (I don't do too many anyway), that's it for the week. This weekend I'll likely walk/hike a bit and do some joint mob.

My BW sits around 174-176# (~80kg) at a height of 6'.

Anyway, here's the good stuff.
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday:
CFT
Press 133# (11# improvement, PR)
DL 274# (11# improvement, PR at this BW)
Squat 263# (11# improvement, PR at this BW and while using low-bar, A2A squat form, I used to do high bar to parallel)

Thursday:
Snatch 142# PR (1 pound shy of 65kg) my first real attempt at a snatch max I can think of

Friday:
C&J 197# PR (1 pound shy of 90kg) I believe my last highest C&J single was around 175#

I'm very, very happy with the test. Note that this is within the fourth week of my 24 hour cycle IF, and I do my strength days M/W/F while fasting. The weekend is all feeding, and I do my metcon then.

My goals:
Hold a back lever proper for 2 full seconds
Back squat 2x BW
DL 2x BW
OHS BW x 15
Fixie bike up this monstrously steep & relatively short hill by my house (it has beaten me before, and that was with gears!)

My program:

Workout 1--Monday, fasting
Reps 5,5,5,3,3,3
Supersets of OHS with tucked back lever pullouts to inversion

Workout 2--Wednesday, fasting
Reps 5,5,5,3,3,3
Supersets of FS with two DB full-range pullovers (shoulder extension to full shoulder hyperextension, done supine on a bench with the legs unsupported from the hip down, this is to mimic the shoulder movements in a back lever)

Workout 3--Friday, fasting
Reps 5,5,5,3,3,3
Supersets of BS with yielding single-leg tucked back levers

Weekends in general are a combination of fixie rides up hills, sprints up hills, walking/hiking, and some CF-style metcon workouts, typically chippers. Whatever I feel like, basically. Doing this workout program, I went and did a very unfamiliar workout with Ken at CFSW and felt like I did pretty well, so I'd have to say it is working...

Workout 4--Monday
Reps 3,3,3,1,1,1
Supersets of DL with tucked back lever pullouts to inversion

Workout 5--Wednesday
Reps 3,3,3,1,1,1
Supersets of FS with two DB full-range pullovers

Workout 6--Friday
Reps 3,3,3,1,1,1
Supersets of BS with yielding back levers

Weekend metcon stuff

Repeat the above for weeks 3 & 4

Take week 5 as an easy/testing week (like this one)

That's my plan. It's working so far, and I'm so dang close to getting the position on the back lever in four short weeks, I'm definitely not changing much anytime soon.

After the back lever will come the front lever--I believe my plan of attack will be very similar.

My workout log over at CF. Note that some things have changed since I started...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Robb Wolf

Garrett-
That kicks ass! How far out are you on the back level?

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Good stuff!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Thanks guys...

To be sure, this group here at the PMenu gives me as much or more as I contribute to it. I only wish I had more "physicality nerds" to hang out with in person here in Tucson...I'm planning on that happening once the training facility is started, or the U of A CF club, whichever comes first, because they're both coming.

Robb, I'm about 15 degrees shy of perpendicular with a 2 second hold. I can do it with one leg tucked and one straight. I wowed the crap out of my wife's family last weekend with my simple rings routine (to this point):
Muscle-up to
L-sit support to
Hanging L-sit to
Straight-leg raise to
Inversion to
Skin-the-cat to
Inversion to
Hanging pike to
Hanging L-sit--finish (sorry, no dismount, ever)

Then I showed them what I could do of my back lever proper. My mother-in-law made a point to call me the next day to tell me how impressed she was. Shucks. I just wanted to demonstrate to my brother-in-law (a PT who loves to underestimate/judge me based on a lack of information) and his 3-year-old son (seeing my father do the "pec dance" after getting off a cheap K-mart bench set was what started my interest in lifting weights, I thought I might pass that along in my own way) what I did in my garage gym. The rest of the family got to see it too. It felt good, and not in an ego-gratifying way.

All I know is that the progressions to a back lever are plenty of exercise for the entire upper body. I can't tell you how "strong" my elbows feel like they are getting! My wife is also appreciating the neuroendocrine response that this training is having on my physique. It really is quite amazing the results that this stuff gives when really followed properly.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Garrett-
Right on! It is funny how a spanky ring routine can really wow folks. Something about good dance, gymnastics and the like really gets peoples attention more than picking up a heavy weight...kinda weird.

Scotty Hagnas has some kick-ass progressions on the levers and planche work...all the success I've had comes from pestering him for help and when I can, trapping Coach Sommer with a question. Shoot Scotty an email or call him sometime if you get stalled on something.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Robb,
If I get stuck, I'll be sure to look those guys up.

I think part of the difference between people's impressions between heavy weights and more movement-intense activities (dance, martial arts, basic gymnastics) is the plain fact that people can "imagine" themselves at least performing the weight training movements (without the weight, obviously), where they often can't even begin to wrap their heads around the coordination involved in the other movement-intense activities.

It's really quite surprising the response people have to just getting upside down, in a handstand or simple inversion on the rings...

I'm going to squeeze in all 3 "heavy" days M, T, W this week, as I leave for a wedding (my wife is the maid of honor) in Tampa on Wednesday afternoon. I know I'm not good about training on vacation and I'm curious to see how the IF goes when I'm not "obligated" to eat...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #7
hollis petri

Hi Garrett, congrats on your results.

if i understand you correctly your doing your strength/gymnastics workout in the middle of your fasting days. if that is correct, what was the rational to go so long without food after the workout versus the more common (i think) IF setup where people break the fast soon after their workouts or schedule their workouts on refeed days. It's obviously working for you.
Thanks
Hollis
hollis petri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Hollis,
My schedule at the current time (it's going to change drastically soon) works out so that my best/only time to work out is in the early AM. Based on the 24 hour EOD fasting excluding weekends plan, I'm also fasting those three days. It's more of a coincidence than a planned thing.

I've found not having to prepare breakfast or lunch on my fast/workout days allows me more time to get ready (or conversely, my morning prep time just takes less time). I also don't make the time during the weekdays to do my favorite metcon workouts (fixie riding + run/walks), so I do them on the weekend when I'm feeding. This also allows me to do one of my favorite things, which is hang out with my parents/wife/dog on the weekend mornings and I make everybody a paleo-friendly breakfast.

So, in essence, there was definitely a lot less planning than you put into yours on the other thread. Mine's more of a "it just worked out this way" plan. I like it so far, and once I buy this cold laser practice, the whole schedule (at least the workout part) is going to likely shift to the afternoons. This will likely allow for a more immediate PWO feeding as many others are doing here. I'll let you know.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Pierre Auge

Garrett,
a point I'd like to make is that I personally have seen some amazing strength gains over very short periods of time when training fasted without the PWO feading. It seems to contradict everything we know, but from my experience it works great.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

I definitely don't feel the "energy crash" after a strength workout that was performed while fasting and continued fasting afterwards, as opposed to a workout where I have a carb/protein PWO feeding immediately afterward (or within an hour or so).

When I think about it, it would make sense that "recovery" would be inhibited in significant ways by shunting all of the blood to the GI system due to a PWO feeding. Considering what the black box has shown you and I, I'll stick with what I'm doing...