Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Sorry about that, I tried to delete the post because I thought it was pretty stupid after posting. Evidently, that didn't work out too well, lol. Anyway, I might as well just ask it now. Basically, I was curious as to why the Crossfit dietary prescription has changed from it's original form a while back. It used to go something like "Eat lean meats, vegetables, nuts and seeds, a little fruit, and no sugar". It now goes like this "Eat garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar". I was just curious why the fruit was removed from the equation.
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

No comprendo...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Robb Wolf

Hey Greg-
No clue as to the change. For glycemic control obviously that is a good move...it removes potentially significant levels of fructose which if weight loss is of paramount concern that might be good. Just keep in mind:
Meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, little starch, no sugar...although adequate to prevent metabolic derangement...these "paleo" foods CAN NOT BE EATEN IN A 40/30/30 RATIO.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Ron Wilhelm

Fruits are still there:

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar
Ron Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Ron, directly from the nutritional prescription from the crossfit main site:
"In plain language, base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar."

Robb, makes plenty of sense to me, however, considering that you can't hit the zone ratios based on the above recommendation would you consider this a problem? I say to hell with Zone, give me higher fat/ lower carb/more veggy/less fruit paleo!
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

Greg-
I'm with you but the Athletes Zone is easy to incorporate some fruit on. Say if I'm on 16 blocks I can make my post WO meal like 4 blocks of protein and 6-8 blocks of carbs...perhaps a little more for a scorcher. All the rest of the carb blocks can be veggies so it decreases the glycemic load of other meals and makes things much lower carb the rest of the day. If one is short a carb block or two just add 3 blocks of fat for every carb block deleted.

Super similar to John Berardi's recommendations but using blocks to manage the macro-nutrients.

One can also construct a cyclic low carb approach this way.

Robb's Blog
Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Scott Clark

In my opinion it really depends on one's goals. Personally I eat at least 5 servings of fruit a day and am in no way going to give that up. Am I 5% BF? Hell no, nowhere close and I have no desire to be. While I agree that there are issues of insulin spikes, I'm not worried about it. I eat my fruit early in the day and center it around my workouts, I don't just snack on it. That's what nuts and veggies are for!
Scott Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Scott-
That's cool, but like Paul Kayley points out in the endurance thread there ARE favorable adaptations to be had from changing things up and altering macronutrients...perhaps even training in a glycogen depleted state. Sounds like your approach is working fine, all I'd add is tinkering can often provide interesting results.

Robb's Blog
Old 05-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
In my opinion it really depends on one's goals. Personally I eat at least 5 servings of fruit a day and am in no way going to give that up. Am I 5% BF? Hell no, nowhere close and I have no desire to be. While I agree that there are issues of insulin spikes, I'm not worried about it. I eat my fruit early in the day and center it around my workouts, I don't just snack on it. That's what nuts and veggies are for!
I agree to each his own...but there are health benefits to reducing insulin spikes such as reducing insulin resistance, decreasing risk of diabetes, slowing down the ageing process, etc..etc...you do not have to be 30% BF to get diabetes or die early of heart disease....look at many of the BB of the past, all with some serious heart problems in their 50s and their eating is centered around multiple insulin spikes a day for increase muscle growth....just something to think about.

For the life of me I know I read a great article on promoting increased fat intake and how it provides the same vitamins and nutrients that most people think they need to get from fruits such as Vit C, A, D, E...etc....but can not remember where I read it.....I'll keep looking....
Old 05-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Scott Clark

Oh I completely understand what you guys are saying, and perhaps my saying that I "would not" give up the 5 servings was a little extreme, it's just that I haven't been able to find that balance yet. As far as training in a depleted state, I've been doing that for the past week and have actually had more energy than my typical fruit PreWO ritual. I've been training first thing in the morning and have been loving it.

The truth is that I'm still learning about the Paleo lifestyle. Over the past 2 years I've lost 110lbs through what was previsouly believed to be proper nutrition, and to be honest my food choices weren't bad except for the grains. I centered the bulk of my diet around lean meat, fruit, eggs, natural PB, and vegetables, but also took in over 200 grams of carbs in the form of oats, WW bread, and brown rice. The more I've learned in regards to PB being problematic and the wealth of information showing the need to reduce and ultimately eliminate grains, the better my performance and overall how I feel has improved.

Haven been a total fatass to now being a much healthier individual, I have a strong understanding of what it takes to "lose weight" and shape up, but I've realized how little I know about optimal lifelong health through a serious diet, not just what can be eaten in (x) amounts to lose (Y) lbs per week. My switch to a Paleo-ish lifestyle has been smoother than anticipated, except that I have been relying on fruit to fuel my energy stores, which I think is residual brainwashing from following the typical carb-it-up bodybuilding diet.

I'm a total nerd about all of this stuff, researching non stop and am salivating over this site as it's chock full of knowledge. I'm very interested in IF, but I want to get my Paleo stuff down to a T before venturing into IF.

Thanks for the insight guys.
Scott Clark is offline   Reply With Quote