Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Severely De-Trained Individuals

We have all of our field staff in for a corporate meeting this week and looking around the table at dinner last night I have some seriously de-trained people. In fact I have worked with several of them to design programs they can follow for general well being and fat loss. I want to put together a simple program that I can give the group on Friday that they can all do together. In fact I am going to try and make it some kind of a challenge with money on the line.

Here are the salient points

1) I have had a couple of the guys try tabata's and they complain that it is too hard. I even went so far as to break it down to the easiest I could. How many squats could you do in 5 minutes ok now divide that by 8 and do that number in 20 seconds then rest, do that 8 times. Next time you do tabata's try and increase the number by 1.

2) All of these guys live on the road 4 days at a time. Most hotels have cardio gyms so bodyweight is probably the most we will consistently get for muscle building.

3) Their diets collectively suck. When you travel constantly a lot of times you end up eating airport food, getting to the hotel late, grabbing a meal at the bar and having a couple of drinks before you head up to the room to pass out.

4) Based on their schedules something that could easily be done in 30 - 45 minutes.

I was thinking of some type of rotation with

treadmill walking on an incline
every 3 minutes doing as many push-ups as you can
do for a total of 25 minutes

treadmill walking on an incline 20 minutes
5 sets of squats, situps, BE

I know that working with people that are de-trained is tough and that the most improvement would come from diet changes. Let the ideas fly.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

Wow, tough one.

I would only help these folks if they really wanted to change things. This should be easy to determine. I have found that most folks in that sort of environment really don't want to make the effort to change.

First off, for the severely detrained, getting off your ass and walking around is the first step. When travelling, if they have an opportunity to relax and go for a decent walk or hike, then they should take that opportunity. Even playing 9 rounds of golf without a cart is a good start.

Second, the resistance part is going to be hard. The percentage of the population who actually will train in their hotel room or while on a business trip is small. I can think of very few people who'd actually do a workout without someone supervising them.

Other than that, your ideas seem very good.

Diet: Meat and salad. Low carb if possible. Meat, eggs, fruit, veggies if not.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

You are right it is a tough one.

Almost all of them have come to me individually and asked for help.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

Bryce Lane's "Fitness Secrets of the Road Ninja" is chock full of nice ideas for hotel room workouts.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Better you than me amigo! Not very helpful, sorry 'bout that.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Consistency is going to be the main factor....are they going to be disciplined enough to workout when sitting in a hotel room at the end of a long day with an expense account to use at the local pub....I've been there....20lbs ago.....there is always a way.....most hotels either have a gym or some daily pass at a local place....it's the motivation and determination on an ongoing basis that people usually come up short in....worse case get a jungle gym to use on the back of the bathroom door....this is probably enough bodyweight resistance for modified pullups/rows and pushups....squats and lunges require no equipment but 2 feet
http://www.lifelineusa.com/products....7&productid=72
Old 05-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Robert Allison

I have Lifeline's Portable Gym, which is very handy on business trips (thankfully, I don't have too many). But for someone just starting to get back in shape, I am not sure any equipment is really necessary. Like others have said--go for a walk, do the stairs, some body weight stuff--there are almost endless options for workouts that don't require equipment.

While motivation is key, I find that people get tripped up by making things to complicated. I have people ask me about gym memberships, this or that piece of equipment or workout program, etc. Since most, if not all. of these folks are fairly out of shape, I usually advise them to find something simple, inexpensive and enjoyable enough to do fairly regularly.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

When I was on weekly travel, I did alot of bodyweight stuff and took my jumprope everywhere. I rarely had anywhere to do pullups because the hotels tended to have young trees with branches unable to support me. Cardio equipment can be used for intervals and such and there's always the great outdoors for intervals.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Yeah, if they're just getting started I'd keep the "as many as you can" exercises out of it. How about 3 days a week a set 20 min. on the elliptical, and then try to up the distance (or speed for the same distance) each week, and pick a small number (like 10 pushups and 15 situps) to do halfway through to break it up. And then after a month or two you can up it to 5 days a week (but don't tell them that yet.)
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
Derek Simonds

Ok, here is what we have discussed. Everyone agrees with the ideas I posted earlier, which goes along with what Yael suggested.

It's funny how life happens, about 2 years ago I was on a flight to California and I was sitting in first class. This huge dude comes in and sits down. I sort of recognized him but couldn't place him. He was banged up pretty good and was icing various parts of his body while we were sitting there. We started chatting and I found out he was a professional wrestler named Diamond Dallas Page. During the flight we talked a lot about motivation, and exerrciselater on he started talking to me about this project he was working on called Yoga for Regular Guys.

Just like most of my plane friends when I got off the plane I promptly shelved the conversation and got on with my life. Here we are 2 years later and one of the web developers that works here says you got to check out this website I built. He knows I am into fitness. So I go and check it out and lo and behold it is DDP and his YRG. http://www.yrgworkout.com/

I got a pretty good chuckle out of it and told him to remind Dallas to send me my free DVD like he had promised. I checked it out and guess what it is pretty good. Based on where we are with the guys and their fitness levels I went ahead and ordered them all the 20 minute program so they can do some treadmill work and then 20 minutes of YRG.

If anyone is interested I will do a full review of the DVD but first glance it is well put together and the book that comes with it is very instructional. For the poses they uses multiple athletes in different shape doing the sequential steps which I thought was a pretty cool idea.

All I have to do is make it through til 2:00 PM and then we have a gold outing. Wish me luck.

BTW Neither I nor my company have anything to do with DDP or YRG other then one of our guys did his website on the side

Last edited by Derek Simonds : 05-31-2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Full Disclosure!