Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default The Super-Accumulation Program

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1605986
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1605986
Yikes, I never did his German volume training but this program seems to be a bit insane.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Err somehow I posted this twice.

Greg can you delete this one or merge the threads? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Robert Allison

Supercompensation is an interesting concept and taking it to the level that Poliquin outlines would make for an interesting experiment. But as he acknowledges, it is difficult, if not impossible for a person with other commitments to make something like this work. For example, I am unwilling to re-order my priorities to accomodate two workouts / day.

I wonder if it is possible to achieve the same results with just one WO per day? I have thought about taking maybe 2 or 3 full body lifts and just hammering them for two weeks, and then taking a break. But I don't know that would be sufficient to activate the supercompensation effect.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

I've done a similar protocol for speed endurance work.

Two weeks of bike racing, solid. It's the "stay in town stage race." Train and race every day, speed work or short LT intervals in the AM

Race every evening, Except monday.

Monday was speed work at the track,two hours
Tuesday 1.5 hour circuit race,
wednesday evening mountain bike race, cyclocross format. 1 hour event.
Thursday critierium 1 hour
Friday track, omnium, multi events.
Saturday local critierium. hour to an hour and half
Sunday Mountain Bike race, 25-35 miles

...repeat twice.

All the stuff about homicidal tendencies and depression is spot on, freakish weight loss and massive dip in performance as well. Two weeks of hell, take a week off and ride very easy every other day...then.

Boom~you are now fast

For mortals, It works about once or twice per season then the candle is burnt.

I imaoigine you'd have to be highly tuned, using exegenous hormones or really really have your nutrition and rest dialed to make it work very often. I'd say if you are in a positon to ask if you can do it in one workout a day, you really don't want to be doing it.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

It will work....but I personally wouldn't want to go through 2 weeks of hell, drooling, depression, tiredness, overtraining, etc....not really a healthy lifestyle model for me....the 40g of Fish oil a day is getting expensive too....

I've heard of the 5 on-5 off before....workout 5x a week killing the muscles....and then watch yourself get bigger just sitting on the beach....
Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

Density training seems tough to beat int his regard. You can pack in so much volume in such a small window of time. Something like a DL, Weighted pull-up, standing press. Use a 10RM weight and hammer out 5-8 reps on the movements, rounds in 20 min. 3-4x/week. Increase volume, loading blah, blah blah.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
It will work....but I personally wouldn't want to go through 2 weeks of hell, drooling, depression, tiredness, overtraining, etc....not really a healthy lifestyle model for me....the 40g of Fish oil a day is getting expensive too....

I've heard of the 5 on-5 off before....workout 5x a week killing the muscles....and then watch yourself get bigger just sitting on the beach....
From the article on top of the fish oil, he recommended 40 grams of BCAA's each workout so that's 18 workouts in 2 weeks.

Also:
-4-5 grams of Lysine daily for 2 weeks
-80 grams of glutamine per day for the 5 recovery days
-double dose alpha male for the 5 days

That's a huge time commitment and wallet commitment when you don't even count all the food and the protein powder...etc There is now way I could rearrange my schedule enough to be able to do that, that and I think my wife might kick my ass if I become a miserable S.o.B for 2 weeks.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Density training seems tough to beat int his regard. You can pack in so much volume in such a small window of time. Something like a DL, Weighted pull-up, standing press. Use a 10RM weight and hammer out 5-8 reps on the movements, rounds in 20 min. 3-4x/week. Increase volume, loading blah, blah blah.
I was thinking something along those lines, but maybe going 40 minutes instead of 20. My diet & rest are pretty solid, but, like Allen, I don't seem myself committing to Poliquin's program, even for two weeks. Too much else going on...

In any case, I will probably save that for late fall / early winter. I am finishing up a SS cycle now and will probably move more into some met-con work for the summer.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Chris Forbis

I only see this being feasible in two ways (preferably both).

1. Your coach breathes fire.

2. Your livelihood is dependent upon it.

I have difficulty seeing anyone commit to this otherwise. But then, I always was a pansy.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
Don Stevenson

I did something pretty similar last year.

Deadlifts and push press + the full smolov in the morning 3-4 days a week and then 4 sessions of Olympic lifting a week in the afternoon.

For three weeks I walked like a zombie and was eating about twice my normal food intake. I was absolutely shattered and my weightlifting performance went completely out the window.

However I did put on about 3kg of pretty much all muscle and in the next few weeks I added 15kg to my squat and a fair bit to my other lifts.

As an aside, lets see if anyone can name the Olympic lifter in the photo from the T nation article
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote