Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default No more Big Boned kids....they are FAT!!

So I guess no more "it's ok your just big boned"....

Quote:
CHICAGO - Doctors ought to quit using fuzzy terms to define children’s weight problems and instead refer to truly fat kids as overweight or obese, a committee of medical experts recommended.
Since most parents and physicians are to blame with this whole loving approach that no kid will ever listen too.....the truth hurts....lets kids learn life is hard....and it's not going to be roses all the time.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19194146/
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Scott Kustes
Senior Member
 
Scott Kustes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,048
Default

I agree. Call a spade a spade.
__________________
Scott

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Allen Yeh
Senior Member
 
Allen Yeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,245
Default

Quote:
“I’ve had mothers ask me not to use the (obese) label,” he said. “Sometimes you can see it in the child’s face. They’re ashamed.”
Am I an ass if I don't see what the problem is if you make them feel ashamed????
__________________
"And for crying out loud. Don't go into the pain cave. I can't stress this enough. Your Totem Animal won't be in there to help you. You'll be on your own. The Pain Cave is for cowards.
Pain is your companion, don't go hide from it."
-Kelly Starrett
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
joe murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Am I an ass if I don't see what the problem is if you make them feel ashamed????
honestly? yes.

using shame as a motivator means you've run out of good ideas. if you can't raise a kid with positive reinforcement, stick to owning dogs.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Allen Yeh
Senior Member
 
Allen Yeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe murphy View Post
honestly? yes.

using shame as a motivator means you've run out of good ideas. if you can't raise a kid with positive reinforcement, stick to owning dogs.
It is in reference to the article. I'm not talking about raising children or any such thing but if you'd like to discuss that we can talk on private messages.

I'm not saying the Dr. should be telling the kid he's a fatass but how is a doctor supposed to use positive reinforcement for an obese child?

"It looks like you have gained another 15 pounds since our last checkup, I'm glad you have started to walk once a week though."
__________________
"And for crying out loud. Don't go into the pain cave. I can't stress this enough. Your Totem Animal won't be in there to help you. You'll be on your own. The Pain Cave is for cowards.
Pain is your companion, don't go hide from it."
-Kelly Starrett
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
joe murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33
Default

replace "you" with "one" in my previous post, as it was not directed at you, allen. it was intended to be a general statement.

as for the doctor, if he can't figure out a way to help kids without shaming them, then he should become a vet. that's the type of victorian era thinking that we should all be done with.

somewhere between shaming kids and "we're all winners, so lets not keep score" is the great middle ground we know as common sense.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Ron Nelson
Senior Member
 
Ron Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Center of the heterosexual universe
Posts: 547
Default

OK, I'm confused. Is Allen an ass or not?

I was big boned as a child. Then I lost about 100 lbs as an adult and found out I wasn't even "large framed."
__________________
"Have you seen my weiner?"

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
-Ross Hunt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe murphy View Post
replace "you" with "one" in my previous post, as it was not directed at you, allen. it was intended to be a general statement.

as for the doctor, if he can't figure out a way to help kids without shaming them, then he should become a vet. that's the type of victorian era thinking that we should all be done with.

somewhere between shaming kids and "we're all winners, so lets not keep score" is the great middle ground we know as common sense.
If you're going to contend that using shame to reinforce morality (in this case, self-restraint) is dated, it seems to me that you need to make some sort of argument to the effect that it isn't necessary.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Alan is an ass......

Tell a kid that their "body" (not "You") is obese and it can be fixed....don't have to associate the obesity with the personal identity of the child...obesity doesn't define who a person is, just the current state of their health which they have the power to change once they decide to do so....you empower too much of obesity to the personal identity then people get depressed and go the whole "it's all my genetics and I have no choice" route....thank doctors for that one...
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Chuck Kechter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe murphy View Post
using shame as a motivator means you've run out of good ideas. if you can't raise a kid with positive reinforcement, stick to owning dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell
Tell a kid that their "body" (not "You") is obese and it can be fixed....don't have to associate the obesity with the personal identity of the child...obesity doesn't define who a person is, just the current state of their health which they have the power to change once they decide to do so....you empower too much of obesity to the personal identity then people get depressed and go the whole "it's all my genetics and I have no choice" route....thank doctors for that one...
Agree with both of these...
__________________
Very Respectfully,
Chuck Kechter
www.chuckkechter.com

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.