Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
James Bland

Default 6-9 month training plan for BJJ, comments and ideas welcome

Before I start apologies for such a very long post, especially since itís my first one , but I wanted to put my goals and plans down some were and here seemed like a good place since a lot of my ideas bouncing about my head have came from the Performance Menu and these forums.

I have been considering my long term goals in terms of sports and fitness and have decided I need to have a more definite plan instead of what ever GPP work I feel like doing at any given time. I am 24 and have been training in BJJ for just over 3 years now and have been a blue belt for around 1 year, I would consider my self to have been a ďhobbyistĒ BJJ player for the most part training two or three times a week and doing the occasional competition. Last year I moved to a different part of the country and started training at a different club where I have became a bit more serious and train 3-4 times a week and compete quite regularly (3 times since November and another one due at the end of the month).

Goals
Compete at European championships next year, no definite date yet but generally at the end of January.
Compete in mma, nothing major just want to fight a few times at local level.
Learn Olympic lifts
Improve body composition.

I compete as a Super Super Heavy weight 100.4kg+ in BJJ, based on previous competitions I would say I have good conditioning compared to other competitors in my division. At my last competition I had 3 matches that lasted in the full 6 minutes and was able to out work my opponents even if I lost, in my last match after being taken down and pinned for most of the match I was able to reverse my opponent towards the end of the match as he was more tired and out of breath than me. At the same time I would say I am weaker than a lot of people I compete against or even people around 90kg I train with at our club. I know strength isnít the be all and end all of BJJ but I feel over powered especially in the clinch and feel it would be a weakness if I was competing in mma. I would also say that a lot of the met con I do is limited more by my strength that conditioning. I havenít really train with weights for quite a few years and when I did for most of the time it was pretty poor. My flexibility is in general poor, I fail all three flexibility tests Greg talks about in his article on flexibility, and bizarrely I can still touch my foot to my head though so like playing around with rubber guard.

To make things a bit harder I have recently purchased a house with my girlfriend, this means money is pretty tight and I canít afford a gym membership or any new equipment. However because I have my own space I can finally house my old barbell and dumbbells from my parents house along with a couple 100 kgs of weights. Iíve also got a sandbag and medicine ball that I made my self.

As my main goal at the Europeans in just over 6 months I think the best way forward for me is to concentrate on strength training initially, so I can work harder on met con in the middle and then concentrate on SPP at the end.

I have been recovering from a chest infection I got from my girl friend so been working on some flexibility training as I donít want to push to hard before the competition at the end of the month.
James Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
James Bland

Phase 1 Ė July, August, September, and October

As I mentioned I have bought a house recently so financially I will have to limit my BJJ training to 3 days week. Each session includes a warm up based roughly a round crossfit, typically it will be some thing like 15 minutes of 25 squats, 7 pull ups, 10 press ups, 40 sit ups and 4 lengths of the mat walking lunges. We then cover around an hour of techniques and then ~20 minutes rolling at the end. These sessions will maintain my condition so want to use my own time for strength work. I have been thinking of two cycles of the mass gain template, preceded by a month of working on technique and building up the weights to a reasonable starting point. This fits in well as the exercises donít really require any equipment I donít have, obviously will need to clean the weight before pressing or front squatting. I would have to adjust the strength mesocycle to 3 days, I was thinking picking the 3 days I am most able to complete with my given equipment.

Weekly plan would be:
Monday: BJJ
Tuesday: Mass gain day 1
Wednesday: BJJ
Thursday Mass gain day 2
Friday: BJJ
Saturday Mass gain day 3
Sunday: REST

Phase 2 November & December

This is the month I have the least plans for. Would up BJJ to 4 days a week, the 4th day being a sparring/open mat class. The other 3 classes would be the same as before. In terms of the conditioning I want to continue at 2 days a week of weight with a GPP circuit afterwards using some thing like Fran scaled to keep it at around 10 minutes. I was thinking maybe start with an Olympic lift, 20 singles similar to Joe Mills 20/20. Second exercise would either by upper or lower body, no firm idea on sets/reps yet. Circuit used would depend on exercises used in the main section of the workout

Weekly plan would be:
Monday: BJJ
Tuesday: Clean and front/overhead squats & GPP
Wednesday: BJJ
Thursday Snatch and pull ups/dips & GPP
Saturday: am BJJ Open mat

Phase 3 January

5 days a week at BJJ, using a strength circuit similar to the one in fight prep article in issue 28 two mornings per week. Warm ups in class likely to have been replaced by positional sparring, passing guard etc and more sparring in general. Depending on how hard the weeks training has been add a time indexed conditioning session on Saturday afternoons.

Weekly plan would be:
Monday: am Strength circuit PM BJJ
Tuesday: REST
Wednesday: am Strength circuit PM BJJ
Thursday BJJ Open mat
Saturday: am BJJ Open mat PM GPP circuit

Any suggestions or comments? While writing this I begin to consider if I would be better off only running through the mass template once so I could lengthen phases 2 and 3, especially allowing time for tapering before the competition. This post was getting obscenely long any way so not really talked about training for mma afterwards but basically I was considering similar phases with added mma/kickboxing sessions.
James Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Very detailed first post!

If you look at my log under training logs you will see what I did with the mass gain template and BJJ. I trained many times throughout the template with mass gain in the am and BJJ in the pm. I guess it would depend on your level of fitness and amount of nutrition and rest you are getting. I don't think you are doing the template to put on mass so you should be ok.

The strength cycle of the mass gain is the toughest but most rewarding so I wouldn't recommend messing with the way it is laid out on training days, especially since it is a ways out from your comp.

I like how you have your training segmented.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Robb Wolf

James-
I think you might want to break things into a pre-season and competition period. Strength work and some met-cons in the pre-season, tapering to metcons preferentially before competition to the degree it does not impact training.

Hit something like an 8x3 DL. press and weighted pull-up @85-90% RM ONCE per week during competition...use sport specific drills as much as possible for competition period (several people rotating in every minute or so working different elements of the game)

Check out the fight prep Pmenu for more details but that should help to get you going.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote