Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Fast-5 versus The Warrior Diet

Ive asked this on the Dragondoor forums but didnt fet what I was looking for. Not that I didnt get answers I liked, but I dont think that they understood what I was saying.

If you ignore things like food quality etc (Im doing Paleo for food choices so that part doesnt matter to me), what is the real difference in what they recomend. What I mean is, is there any evidence or research showing that one is better than the other? That eating "light" during the day; a salad, an apple, etc during the day is "better" or "worse" than eating nothing. Or is it completely a personal thing?
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Edward Friedman

Unhappy

Hi Brandon,

I may have been one of the folks who responded @ DD, as well as one of the folks who "didn't get it".

Have you seen the Fast-5 group at Yahoo! Groups. I suggest you check it out. There is also an IF group at Yahoo! Groups called, "Fasting". At the Fast-5 group you can search "Warrior Diet" for some perspective from that vantage point. Specifically, this post, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/fast5/message/212
by Dr. Herring lets you know how one of the 2 authors, ( Ori being the other,) sees it. ( You may need to register for the group to access the post.)

I'd imagine there is info from the WD side as well, I am just not familiar with it. IME, I read WD, tried it, thought I could not do it resumed a non-IF approach until I read Fast-5 and realized that FOR ME, (YMMV of course,) even that handful of almonds, or beverage with almond milk, was enough to shoot the day's fasting effort in the foot.

HTH,

All the best,

Eddie
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
Brandon Enos

I actually dont think you were one. The people I was actually thinking about were those who responded, and Im highly paraphrasing since Im tired and dont wanna search the DD forums for it, that the warrior diet was better becaue of Ori's stressing on eating healthier foods versus whatever you want.

I have another question regarding this though. One thing I like about the WD, even though I dont follow it, is the "grazing" becaue I wanna get my fruit servings in, but for some reason, after I eat my dinner, I lose all drive to eat fruits. Do you have this problem and what do you do? One thing I try to do, but this doesnt always fit my schedule, is push dinner to about 7 and "grave" on fruits from 5 til dinner.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Edward Friedman

Hi Brandon,

The word that comes to my mind reading your post, and I sincerely say this with all due respect, is "bioindividuality". We are all subject to certain laws of nature, yet we are all unique as well. Notwithstanding the level of scrutiny you devote to obtaining information, ultimately so much is simply experiential. The "Brandon" method, if you will, works for only one special person. I think that through self-experimentation you are simply going to have to work out what works best for you. ( When crossing the street, you look left, right, left, right...at some point you've got to step off the curb : - ] )

From memory, I think you are right that WD places more emphasis on "health" (ie; as Ori understands it, etc.) I think Dr. Herring pretty much leaves it at, if you want to be healthier, eat healthier, (eg; whole foods vs. processed etc.,) without trying to "teach" about it, and focuses on the timing issues. ( eg;My wife, a nutritionist and purist, was appalled that Dr. Herring seemed "O.K." with diet soda/aspartame. I simply "let go" of that and gravitated toward what I like in Fast-5. I eat grains ~5 times per year and except for occasional cottage cheese, eat nothing processed.)

I happen to love fruit. I eat quite a bit during my window. Perhaps more than I should. I "rationalize" that, with my "clean eating" fruit is my "candy".

I also "do" something else. I eat a nutriceutical that I market, to insure consistent daily intake of a small quantity of a wide variety of fresh, whole fruits, vegetables and berries. I see it as low cost, convenient "nutrition-insurance". I truly believe the rainbow of food colors confers great health benefits..."the pot of gold" at the end so to speak. If this is of interest, I will welcome your e-mail at:
edfesq@yahoo.com ( BTW, I mention this here only because you asked me what I do. Otherwise, I keep my commercial interests off the forum.)

Best wishes Brandon, with your "experiment of one".

Eddie
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
William Hunter

I don't eat fruit everyday, but when I do I make it the first thing I eat when I break my fast. I've been using a 5-10pm or 4-9pm window of eating for the past 6 weeks or so, sporadically before that. I don't enjoy fruit on a full belly.

In reading Dr. Eades blog I gather that some of the primary health/longevity benefits are derived from absolutely no caloric intake over a period of time, not merely an undereating phase as described by Ori. I've tried undereating/overeating before and liked it OK, just feel better with complete abstention during that 18-20 hour period. However, for full disclosure, I have not tried an intense 3on/1off WOD schedule or mulitiple WO's per day with this protocol.
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunter View Post
the primary health/longevity benefits are derived from absolutely no caloric intake over a period of time
I would say Yes because no food means no insulin responses, no hormonal fluctuations that come with food digestion and the body remains in a survival mode not knowing how long the fast will be......as soon as sugar enters the body it signals "fast over"...and insulin is secreted.....reversing insulin resistance is key to long term health....
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

I'm with MOD...

Eat or don't eat. No "grazing".

It's like walk or (really) run...none of this "jogging" stuff.

I find it humorous and telling that the same people tend to graze and jog...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Edward Friedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Eat or don't eat. No "grazing"...
Didn't "IF-ing" Yoda say, " Do eat or do not eat, there is no graze" ?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Robb Wolf

I think both approaches have merit. There are a load of human studies showing simple caloric restriction one day mixed with ad libitum eating another day improves insulin sensitivity and some other biomarkers...just not as well as the full fast.

Many people report the full tilt fast being easier, both in implementation and not really getting hungry until they eat...but like others have said, make it work for you.

I think you will see a revamping of the "grazing" recommendation in Ori's re-release due out in Dec...

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Bo Bolund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
Ive asked this on the Dragondoor forums but didnt fet what I was looking for. Not that I didnt get answers I liked, but I dont think that they understood what I was saying.

If you ignore things like food quality etc (Im doing Paleo for food choices so that part doesnt matter to me), what is the real difference in what they recomend. What I mean is, is there any evidence or research showing that one is better than the other? That eating "light" during the day; a salad, an apple, etc during the day is "better" or "worse" than eating nothing. Or is it completely a personal thing?
I think there are more benifits the less you eat during the fast.
Strict fast also makes it easier to continue the fast since food can induce cravings, especially if it's sweet.