Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Leo Soubbotine

Default IF 24 on/24 off and V-diet

I was curious if anyone has done it before?

V-diet's main drawback in my experience was the hunger. The fat loss was great and leaned me out tremendously but that hunger.
IF fixes that fast and easy. I've been really enjoying not thinking what, when and how much to eat for 24 hours at a time.
3600 calories in 24 hours from protein shakes sounds like a lot and that is.

So I'm going to try this experiment.
Workout - PM Strength Mesocycle. Technique work is going to be key and heavy emphasys put on that. Hypertrophy was fun.

Taking pictures once a week should help keep track.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Yikes, I have no suggestions but would be very curious to how your experiment turns out.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Robb Wolf

Sounds burly! Keep us posted.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

I think your plan sounds doable on a Fast-5 type of program rather than a On/Off. I'd be interested in trying it a couple of times just to see how it would go. For me, if I feed on too many carbs (fruit, veg, salad) and not enough protein, the next day can seem looooong, as in unspeakable hunger.
Days like today, following a feast of Chinese food (lots of chicken), seem fine.

Protein shakes as my sole source of food during feed time? I'd like to see how that goes.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Leo Soubbotine

Allen and Rob - will do.
Ron - my hunger seems to disappear with 24-24 scheme, yet with Fast 5 I'm extremely hungry all the time. Carbs make the situation worse, but even with very low carb and calories kept at around 4.5-5k still the hunger does not seem to go away.

Good God I can down 15-20 pills at a time otherways it'd take me an hour to take all the fish oils, vitamins and bcaa's. Feel pretty cool.

I'm curious if you ever heard of supplementing your diets with HCl - supposingly to help assimilate all the goodies from the food one's eat.
Read it a while back in Poliquin's Question of strength. Tried - don't think it worked all that well.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Interesting.

As far as HCL, I thought that was a load of hooey. Chris Shugart tried it and saw little or no difference. I think many results of HCL supplementing, as written about on the T-Mag forums, was group induced placebo reactions.

My other drawback on the V-diet, or on using shakes as my sole source of kcals after a fast, was the lack of chewing. Gum doesn't cut it after a while.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Soubbotine View Post
Allen and Rob - will do.
Ron - my hunger seems to disappear with 24-24 scheme, yet with Fast 5 I'm extremely hungry all the time. Carbs make the situation worse, but even with very low carb and calories kept at around 4.5-5k still the hunger does not seem to go away.

Good God I can down 15-20 pills at a time otherways it'd take me an hour to take all the fish oils, vitamins and bcaa's. Feel pretty cool.

I'm curious if you ever heard of supplementing your diets with HCl - supposingly to help assimilate all the goodies from the food one's eat.
Read it a while back in Poliquin's Question of strength. Tried - don't think it worked all that well.
Betaine HCL is legit...should be available at any hippy-health food store.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Leo Soubbotine

Okay. The diet part is easy so far.

BW 100kg

Tested for Strength Mesocycle.
Snatch 70 kg
Clean 95 kg
Pullup BW + 30lbs no kip
Press 70 kg

Danny Camargo is coming tomorrow for a 2 hour Olylifting workshop (Team Florida coach). That'll be super cool.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #9
Leo Soubbotine

First week is over.

BW - 215 lbs. (-11 lbs total).

So far so good. Second week is usually more fun.
Appreciation for good food is growing. Cooking some food for my gf really becomes Zen-like practice. That's about as close to eating food I can get.

Sunday is coming and I'm very excited to eat.

Going to work on Clean and Jerk posters now (C&J and all the variations: HCln, PCln, HPC, SplJ and such).
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
Leo Soubbotine

It's been 9 days. So far so good. No ugly side effects that I had during the first V diet experiment. Shakes are getting old. Cheat meal coming up - it's going to plenty of meat.
Couple progress shots. Seems like diet is working with pretty decent speed and the PM 17 Strength workouts work well with it.

Day 1

Day 9