Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Ralph Garcia

Default Sprained Wrist

I sprained my wrist doing GTG HSPUs about two weeks ago. The pain still lingers in my wrist and it's preventing me from doing any type of pushing activity like jerks or even regular push-ups. It doesn't hurt if I hold my wrist perfectly straight like while doing knuckle push ups or dips, but only if I'm very careful to not tweak it to far.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do to recover at this point? Should I just lay off my wrist, use ice or heat, do some rehad exercises?

Thanks in advance,
Ralph

P.S. Recovering quickly so that I'm able to at least do push ups regularly is pretty important since there's a chance I'll be starting the police academy in a couple months.
Ralph Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

I am still dealing with a wrist injury that started nearly six months ago. A wrist injury of any kind is not something that is fun. Sage hurt her wrist and was not able to do any over-head work, and pretty much just squatted for the last 7 months. I am an extremely stubborn athlete, and will work through mostly anything. I didn't say anything about my wrist until it was hurting so bad i couldn't even pull a bar off the ground. I have recently learned from a very smart person (who went through severe levels of frustration trying to get me to listen) that you need to listen to your body, and back off. My advice is this... take some time off using your arm. not just your wrist, but your whole arm. Ice massage at least twice a day, stick your hand in a bucket 'o ice for 15 minutes, and give it time to heal.
Now, I can't believe I am saying this, BUT, taking the time off now will prevent you from the possibility of increasing your injury. and don't worry about those push-ups. Sage Burgener took a little over 7 months off of using her arms, and has been training full force for 2 months and is just rocking pr's every week. I took the time off that my Coach, physical therapist, and before mentioned frustrated one, felt i needed, and I too came back stronger.
Last note. After your wrist does start feeling better. Continue to ice it daily. don't think the pain isn't lingering in there somewhere just because it has subsided. I wrap my wrist every day when i train, and I am constantly icing. every chance I get.
Recovering quickly will happen quicker if you give your wrist the time it needs to recover. That is important since you'll be needing that wrist in a couple months.

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Robb Wolf

Great Stuff Aimee.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Ralph, now is a perfect time to work on one-handed push-ups, plank holds, etc.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Ralph Garcia

Default Thank you Aimee

Thanks for the advice, Aimee.

So then is ice the way to go? Should I stay away from heat? Or what about contrasting ice/hot baths for my hands/wrists?

-Ralph
Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

ice massage for sure will be helpful. fill some paper or styrofoam cups with water and freeze. Then peel away some of the cup so you have a chunk of ice with an insulated handle. Massage the area (extend out a little more than the precise area of pain) for a few minutes. no need to do a fulll 15 minutes. This tends to be a lot more effective than just throwing an ice pack on.

i was just talking to my PT yesterday about contrast therapy. Her opinion was that it's not super helpful except in cases where swelling will not reduce after a long period of time. so unless your wrist is visibly swollen and isn't reducing, try just the ice massage and/or bucket o' ice a couple times a day.

and yes, speaking as the aforementioned "frustrated one", keep icing for a while after the pain is gone--don't quit the first day you don't feel it hurting anymore. just because there isn't a ton of pain doesn't mean it's completely healed.

you may also want to read this thread on heat/ice:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=108

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Ralph Garcia

Thanks for the follow up, Greg!

I'll give a shot and I'll let you all know the results of my recovery.

I'll focus lower body workouts for the most part during this recovery period. Running is something I need to work on anyways, especially in prep for the academy.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

If you have to use it (at the academy for example).

Use some 1" athletic tape to tape a band around the wrist just below the heel of the hand (closer to your hand than you would wear a wristwatch). The band only needs to be a few wraps of tape, and it shouldn't be too tight. This will help keep the wrist from bending too far backward (or any other weird way) when doing things that involve wrist flex.

Just remeber that this is a crutch and using it will not let your wrist heal. I would only reccomend doing this if you MUST use your wrist (It helped me set the my record of a 100' handstand walk).
Old 10-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
Robb Wolf

Ralph-
How about pull-ups? Any problem there? I've noticed some nice therapeutic action for capoeirista's who are ALWAYS on their hands to do some decent volume of pulling work. It exposes that area to loading but typically in a non-irritating way.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Rick Deckart
Banned

I second what was said sofar but would add the following 'advice' with respect to ice. There is a good rule of thumb which I used often enough with good results: a) ice it for 5-8 minutes b) then rest 5-8 minutes, repeat a) & b) two times, repeat the whole cycle three times a day for three days in a row. That should take care of most inflammations.
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote