Forget smolov, forget kettlebell density work, forget erging til you puke. The last 14 wednesdays have been the most painful workouts i've ever done and for one simple reason.
High school kids
- 15 guys aged 13-17 with the attention span of a fruit fly shared between them! I got asked to train them as a recruiting program for our weightlifting gym.
Anyway, normally i don't like to toot my own horn but I can't resist posting some results.
When these guys started they had no discipline (still mostly don't but they've learned "consequences") and very little in the way of strength, endurance or technique.
40kg deadlifts were downright dangerous, pushups and situps elicited moans and protests and all they wanted to do was bicep curls.
On Wednesday we had their final session and the results are in
1. 2 kids recruited as weightlifters and both showing some promise
2. One kid christened the gym by rowing a 1:40 500m and promptly puking
3. Another kid took up my challenge to row 1000m in under 3:26 (my PR) and flogged himself for 5 weeks straight before beating me and winning $40
4. at least 4 guys deadlifting over 1.5x BW with good form and two that came really close to 2x BW
Overall though the best ppart was seeing a lot of guys who thought they were weak hitting PR's and finding out that working out might be worth the effort.
At some stage they all copped it from me for forgetting the rules or outright ignoring them. Standard punishment was tabata squats with a 10kg plate or burpees.
And next week i get a new group