Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
Don Stevenson

Default The most agonising 14 workouts of my life

Forget smolov, forget kettlebell density work, forget erging til you puke. The last 14 wednesdays have been the most painful workouts i've ever done and for one simple reason.

High school kids - 15 guys aged 13-17 with the attention span of a fruit fly shared between them! I got asked to train them as a recruiting program for our weightlifting gym.

Anyway, normally i don't like to toot my own horn but I can't resist posting some results.

When these guys started they had no discipline (still mostly don't but they've learned "consequences") and very little in the way of strength, endurance or technique.

40kg deadlifts were downright dangerous, pushups and situps elicited moans and protests and all they wanted to do was bicep curls.

On Wednesday we had their final session and the results are in

1. 2 kids recruited as weightlifters and both showing some promise
2. One kid christened the gym by rowing a 1:40 500m and promptly puking
3. Another kid took up my challenge to row 1000m in under 3:26 (my PR) and flogged himself for 5 weeks straight before beating me and winning $40
4. at least 4 guys deadlifting over 1.5x BW with good form and two that came really close to 2x BW

Overall though the best ppart was seeing a lot of guys who thought they were weak hitting PR's and finding out that working out might be worth the effort.

At some stage they all copped it from me for forgetting the rules or outright ignoring them. Standard punishment was tabata squats with a 10kg plate or burpees.

And next week i get a new group

F%^K!
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Awesome! Definitely one of my favorite jobs is strength and conditioning coach for high school kids. The trick is to elicit fear for the workouts that reaches urban myth status as soon as possible. After that the aura does the work for you
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Ron Nelson

Sounds like my job, but without all the puking and lifting.

Isn't $40 (aus) about $4.65 (us)?

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Robb Wolf

Don, that's awesome! I think coach Burgener says something to the effect "The most important thing to accomplish when you have 50 kids with PVC is prevent GRAB ASS!!!"

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Ron, the aussie dollar is doing quite nicely at the moment. $40 AUS is about $35 US which makes buying goodies from the States very tempting!

The kids all learned the hard way about squats when they did 7 minutes of tababtas with a 10kg plate. The basic idea was "we're squatting until i'm happy that everyone is working hard"
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote