Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default weird articles

I found two seemingly unrelated articles in Monday's paper. The first is here: http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/frontpage/31051.php

Ways schools hand out snacks could change

Violations of the Arizona food code could cost child-care providers hundreds of dollars to remedy if they continue to prepare food for their students.

Directors from child-care facilities and schools met with Pima County Health Department officials Monday to discuss options after being cited for unsatisfactory food preparation such as cutting an apple or wrapping a burrito for students in facilities that are not up to code for commercial kitchens.

For the past three years the Second Street School has had a healthy snack program, in which teachers prepare snacks provided by parents, said Peggy Sterner, co-associate director of the school at 2430 E. Second Street.
School administrators were unaware of the regulations.

The food preparation rules went into effect in 1997 and were clarified through an update in 2003, according to Sharon Browning of the county health department.

"Preparation, for us, means that you are touching the food," she said. "The food code is set up to help prevent food-borne illness."

The regulations for these schools are the same as for any commercial kitchen requiring commercial-grade appliances, such as refrigerators and three-compartment sinks, many of which these facilities lack.

Many of the school directors worried about the cost of the renovations, as well as the fee to become a licensed facility: $382 initially with an annual renewal fee of $115.

"This is your economic choice," Browning said.

Schools either can provide the funding through tuition to make the changes, or change their snack programs.

"Then some people will not be able to afford our services," said Shanna Kukla, director of St. Alban's Episcopal Preschool and Kindergarten, 3737 N. Old Sabino Canyon Road.

As a small, private school of 63 students with a parent-run snack program, Second Street School would likely be unable to afford all of the upgrades needed, Sterner said.

"We want to work with the health department, but what they are asking right now is unreasonable," said Lissa Gibbs, parent of a 3-year-old student at Second Street School.

Snack time will not be eliminated in the schools, but many have modified their snack programs, including more pre-packaged foods, which require no preparation, and requests to students to bring their own snacks from home.
"We don't understand," said Sterner. "We could give them canned peaches, but not fresh-cut peaches? We could give them packaged crackers, but not snow peas?"

==========

This means snack time will now likely be relegated to Ritz crackers and fruit roll-ups.

Then I found this article:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/frontpage/30860.php

Diabetics get new tool, thanks to Gila monster

The venomous, multicolored Gila monster has become an unwitting hero to
some diabetics unable to control their blood sugar.

A substance found in the lizard's saliva improves blood sugar control and lowers appetite in humans, according to doctors.

A synthetic version of the substance is helping some insulin-dependent adult diabetics live more healthful lives.

This "missing gut hormone," said Tucson endocrinologist Dr. Raymond Graap, gives doctors who treat insulin-dependent diabetics a new tool to regulate blood-sugar levels.

Exenatide, marketed under the brand name Byetta, comes in a self-administered fixed-dose "pen" for under-the-skin injection. Byetta is FDA-approved for use by people with Type 2 diabetes.

The drug has been on the market for about a year and costs about $180 a month if not covered by insurance. Byetta is not approved for Type 1 diabetics or for use by children.

It was an endocrinology researcher in a Veterans Administration lab in New York's Bronx in the 1980s who discovered exenatide while using radioactive material to sort out the chemicals in poisonous lizard saliva.

In 1996, the researcher licensed the patent for exenatide.

The FDA approved Byetta for use in Type 2 diabetic adults about a year ago and began a marketing campaign to physicians.

Graap said he may prescribe Byetta after a patient tries to make changes in diet and exercise and uses other medicines to control glucose levels.
"I tend to be conservative," Graap said. "I'm a hard-sell type person. I need to be sure it's going to be effective."

The doctor requires patients to consult with a nutritionist to modify their diet.
"I also recommend they get moving on an exercise program. And then I look at them three months later to see if that strategy is useful to them," Graap said. He also cautions patients about the cost.

"We try to find out for the patients if the drug is on their insurance company's formulary (list of covered medications)," Graap said. "If not, we do the math to see if it is doable with their other medications. Diabetes can be very expensive

Many but not all Medicare drug plans cover Byetta. The drug is not included in the Veterans Administration's formulary.

"Byetta can work well in some and OK in others," Graap said. "It's not the only strategy."
===
At least he's making them exercise and change their diet, but geez. Maybe if they quit giving kids fruit rollups and Ritz crackers and getting them used to eating crappy snacks, they wouldn't have to make synthetic versions of lizard saliva to treat them when they get older.

This is the Gila monster, btw:

http://www.reptilesofaz.com/Lizards-...suspectum.html
Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Nicki Violetti

Interesting...One of my clients is a pharmaceutical rep and brought in the info and package insert for Byetta to have Robb check it out. Had no idea the origins were Gila monster saliva.

Looks like the changes in school snack programs as well as the limit of 1 hour of PE per month at some schools here in CA is sure to do wonders for the diabetes epidemic - Maybe I'll look into raising Gila monsters for a little extra income
Nicki Violetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Robb Wolf

Nicki-
We are not farming Gila monsters unless they taste like chicken.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Watch out, you two--they bite!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Ken Urakawa

Mmmmmmmm.....Gila Monster patty...
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Urakawa View Post
Mmmmmmmm.....Gila Monster patty...
If it's prepackaged, I could give some to my sixth graders.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Gila Monster has to be incredibly Paleo though. And fighting them to kill them would make for a great workout....perfect package: a workout and PWO meal all in one.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Watch out, you two--they bite!
Fudge that! I bite!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Here's another article about this whole "no real food in schools" thing:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/frontpage/32397.php

And a letter to the editor:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/frontpage/32594.php

There's another letter I really like which I can't find on there for some reason, but it's about how one of our local school districts have banned outside snacks that come from the home kitchen. Everything has to be store-bought, so twice a day kindergartners are given "Costco-type parent-contributed snacks that have a long shelf life, are cheap and come in giant quantities."

I just wonder how much longer I'll be allowed to bring fruit and veggies to program. We are writing about food, and having it in front of you makes it so much easier for them. I mean, I wear gloves to cut it up, and it's organic!

It reminds me of when I got in trouble for giving this kid seconds at a group home (with kids who are wards of the state) I was volunteering at. In order to get funding from the state, they have to get just one serving...and it doesn't matter that he didn't eat his one breakfast serving.