Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 09-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Chris Forbis

Default Nike Free 3.0

I got a pair of Nike Free 3.0s just over two weeks ago. Just wanted to plug the product, as they have instantly become the best pair of running shoes I've ever owned.

I wouldn't recommend jumping in right at the 3.0 if you haven't had any before. But I had some 5.0s and they now feel a little clunky by comparison. And you probably wouldn't want to try anything requiring sudden stops and starts or cuts. But for running they are great. I'm planning on getting some 7.0 trainers to replace my basketball shoes.

I guess the next step in the progression is to get some Vibram Five Fingers. Only one more step after that... barefoot.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Jordan Glasser

Hi Chris,

I've had many pairs of the Nike Free's 3.0, 5.0, & 7.0. They don't all work the same.....meaning, that no cushion, barefoot stimulating experience that changes your body positioning via sensory feedback, changes drastically from the 3.0 to the 7.0. Meaning, the more cushion in the 7's doesn't allow for that barefoot feeling, or, more importantly your feet don't react like you are barefoot. Result, just another pair of shoes. Not the barefoot shoe with the ability to make strong lateral movements. Just my opinion....but, love the 5.0's trainer, loved the 3.0's runner, 7.0's did not deliver what I hoped.

They may work for you.....but, just a heads up,

Jordan
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

The 3.0s are AWESOME running shoes. Love them. My wife and mom now both own pairs as well.

I can't wait to get some Vibrams (probably after I get my OL shoes...).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Glasser View Post
Meaning, the more cushion in the 7's doesn't allow for that barefoot feeling, or, more importantly your feet don't react like you are barefoot. Result, just another pair of shoes. Not the barefoot shoe with the ability to make strong lateral movements.
But surely the 7.0 trainers are better than the giant cement blocks that most basketball shoes are? My 5.0 trainers (generation 1) were not fit for starting/stopping/cutting. Unless they improved things for generation 2 of them...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Jordan Glasser

You're right, probably better then a thick, clunky shoe, like most on the market. But, what I found is this. Running, jogging, sprinting worked wonders for the way I plant my feet with both the 3.0 & 5.0. The lack of heel cushioning force me to stay away from heel stricking. That's why I love them so much. But, the 7.0's have more of a heel cushion, which allow for comfortable heel striking, and as a result feel like I'm wearing a regular type of shoe. (with limited support.)

Just throwing this out there.....but when playing a sport that involves jumping, landing, cutting, don't you want a shoe that will be able to slightly cushion the impact. Because we won't always be in good alignment.

Again, I am not saying dont' buy them, because you may really love them. But, remembering that barefoot walking and running is a hell of a lot different then barefoot basketball. Sometimes support is necesarry, IMO.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
William Hunter

Interesting. I've been tooling around in the 5.0's for the past 5 months and love them. In addition to sprints I've started some 2 and 3 mile tempo runs in them. I just saw that they have also come out with a trail runner version. I run on trails at least once a week, and up to now have reverted back to some old NB trail shoes (mostly b/c I want my frees to last as long as possible).

Has anyone seen the trail shoes? I have to imagine they'll be more like the 7.0's but was just checking.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunter View Post
Interesting. I've been tooling around in the 5.0's for the past 5 months and love them. In addition to sprints I've started some 2 and 3 mile tempo runs in them. I just saw that they have also come out with a trail runner version. I run on trails at least once a week, and up to now have reverted back to some old NB trail shoes (mostly b/c I want my frees to last as long as possible).

Has anyone seen the trail shoes? I have to imagine they'll be more like the 7.0's but was just checking.
http://walking.about.com/od/prshoe/gr/nikefreetrail.htm
Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Tony Ferous

What with the heavy 1 legged eccentric pounding the calves must take when running barefoot or in free's, has anyone noted better calf development....this is a purely narcissistic question!
Certainly my soleus ached for a week the last time i ran a the beach.
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
William Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ferous View Post
What with the heavy 1 legged eccentric pounding the calves must take when running barefoot or in free's, has anyone noted better calf development....this is a purely narcissistic question!
Certainly my soleus ached for a week the last time i ran a the beach.
Perhaps a bit. There's nothing quite like the soreness from the first run or two without a heel strike

However, in my former life I ran about 30 miles a week with a standard shoe and heel strike, and my calves developed a good bit. The real bonus for me has been the strengthening of the intrinsic muscles of the feet (Free's + daily foot drills) and the lack of knee pain when running.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Foot drills plus jumping rope will have your calves in shape in no time (for running)...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote