Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 10-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Default Bataan Memorial Death March

On a bit of a whim I've decided to run the Bataan Memorial Death March on March 30, 2008. This gives me just short of six months to prepare for it. The march is marathon distance over variable terrain and a whole lot of sand. I will compete in the heavy division, meaning you carry 35lbs in a ruck for the duration of the race.

I'm not a stranger to ruck marching, but ruck running is totally new to me. Usually I head out for shorter distances (around 8, never more than 10 miles) with a heavier weight. My current training (before I decided to do this):

Monday: ROTC PT followed by two compound lifts with a rep scheme of 10x3 each, then two supporting lifts
Tuesday: A run to the gym (~3miles) then a metcon workout and usually hitting the heavy bag afterwards
Wednesday: ROTC PT same as Monday, with different lifts
Thursday: Some sort of interval work
Friday: ROTC PT
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Ruck ~2 hours with 50lbs

Ideally, I could train for and run most of the Bataan march without losing too much speed or strength and avoiding injury. How would you go about training for this? Would you just follow a typical marathon training plan, only adding a rucksack and boots to the mix? Or would you only begin training in earnest a few months before the event? I'll be running in boots with a ruck, so I am tentatively going to add one ruck run per week on Sunday, then add another session in a few weeks.
Gordon Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

I've been approached with trying this also, I've been told I can be put on orders for this.

How have you done in October so far?

Did you see the elevation map? I'm not sure where you are training but I know where I'm at it doesn't get 5400+ feet where I live. How are you prepping for that aspect?

The person taht asked me said he is planning on doing the team heavies.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Gordon Richmond

Slow so far. I've backed off this past week because of sickness and general business, but overall I would say that the plan I made is too ambitious to begin with. I'm going to ruck only twice per week for at least a month before I up the volume on that.

I'm in Arlington, VA so there's nothing I can do about the elevation. Although I will run as much of the course as I can and will (duh) finish as quickly as I can, I'm not really competing, so I'm not going to let elevation worry me. There is a good amount of elevation gain, however, so I think once January rolls around I will add in a third session which will be hill or stair walks with the ruck.

Bottom line is that I am 200lbs and walking with 35lbs is really nothing to me (at least within 15 miles or so). Running with it is a whole nother animal. I am finding that in the initial training, I am trying to run way faster than I should and crapping out after a few minutes. Twelve minute miles are just fine with the ruck, but I'm totally accustomed to the pace.

Sort of rambling, but you get the point.
Gordon Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote