Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default matches and mayhem

So I think I left my lights on or something at the gym the other day, and this nice guy offered to jump start my car. Then there were sparks and explosions and a lot of smoke, oh and he melted my jumper cables. Yeah. Red goes with red and black with black. *Sigh*

I was kind of nervous because my fire extinguisher was out!! It hasn't been recharged yet since I had to use it the other day, putting out a car fire while driving home from work. I also got in trouble for putting out that fire because the cops say my extinguisher may have made the car explode and that I was putting myself at risk. I think they were just jealous because I got there first. They told me that it would be different if there were someone in the car--like you can tell who is in a car when there is smoke everywhere and the car is on fire...

The guy on scene who said he was a volunteer firefighter and really wanted to use my fire extinguisher (which they let him after the guy with the paramedic t-shirt used his fire extinguisher) also told me he was a runway model and was hiding from paparazzi. What are the chances of seeing a car on fire on the way home AND meeting a compulsive liar on the same night?

Anyways, back to the story... creepy AAA guy says it's my battery and then I get the battery changed and he says it's the alternator. Hopefully not the starter too. I am $20 short to buy the !@#$ part. Unfortunately it wasn't even my AAA card so it'll be tough to challenge... (Methinks the lady doth protest too much.)

Moral of story: Do not get a jump start from guys at your gym. (Think he'll let me borrow twenty bucks?)

At least I drive a stick so I can pop the clutch and get anywhere I need to go...

Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
So I think I left my lights on or something at the gym the other day, and this nice guy offered to jump start my car. Then there were sparks and explosions and a lot of smoke, oh and he melted my jumper cables. Yeah. Red goes with red and black with black. *Sigh*

I was kind of nervous because my fire extinguisher was out!! It hasn't been recharged yet since I had to use it the other day, putting out a car fire while driving home from work. I also got in trouble for putting out that fire because the cops say my extinguisher may have made the car explode and that I was putting myself at risk. I think they were just jealous because I got there first. They told me that it would be different if there were someone in the car--like you can tell who is in a car when there is smoke everywhere and the car is on fire...

The guy on scene who said he was a volunteer firefighter and really wanted to use my fire extinguisher (which they let him after the guy with the paramedic t-shirt used his fire extinguisher) also told me he was a runway model and was hiding from paparazzi. What are the chances of seeing a car on fire on the way home AND meeting a compulsive liar on the same night?

Anyways, back to the story... creepy AAA guy says it's my battery and then I get the battery changed and he says it's the alternator. Hopefully not the starter too. I am $20 short to buy the !@#$ part. Unfortunately it wasn't even my AAA card so it'll be tough to challenge... (Methinks the lady doth protest too much.)

Moral of story: Do not get a jump start from guys at your gym. (Think he'll let me borrow twenty bucks?)

At least I drive a stick so I can pop the clutch and get anywhere I need to go...

Oh geez...that sucks so your car is driveable?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Oh geez...that sucks so your car is driveable?
Well, it has a battery so it can get me to the next location... and luckily I have this really cool friend who fixes cars for fun and knows Hondas, so all I have to do is get the part and I'm game... unless it doesn't work. lol.

It's been interesting relying on rides from people I only sort of know at work...
Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
said he was a volunteer firefighter and really wanted to use my fire extinguisher (which they let him after the guy with the paramedic t-shirt used his fire extinguisher) also told me he was a runway model and was hiding from paparazzi.
this dude is stealing all my lines!!!

Melted jumper cables?? Damn.....it really takes some effort to do that!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Ken Urakawa

I had a friend in High School who actually "exploded" her battery by cross-connecting the jumpers. Had to go to the hospital to clean up battery acid and everything.

That whole Red-Red, Black-Black thing is no joke!
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Urakawa View Post
That whole Red-Red, Black-Black thing is no joke!
According to creepy AAA guy, that is what wrecked my alternator... Hmmm, wondering if I can talk gym guy into paying for it. Doubtful...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
this dude is stealing all my lines!!!
I don't like to be rude, but I actually just kind of looked at him for a second and then said, "Really?!" lol. He told me he had to get home because he had a shoot at midnight. Hmmm, what kind of shoot? lol

It is kind of fun to run across the street to put out a fire and then get yelled at by cops for it. lol.

Good adrenaline rush, anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Derek Simonds

Good Samaritan Yael!

My advice would be go to Auto Zone and have them diagnose the problem. They do it for free with this tester that they take out and put on the car. You don't have to buy anything from them, but I would if they tell you what part is needed. That way at least when you buy the part and take it to your friend you know it is the correct one.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Yael Grauer

AAA diagnosed the problem... my alternator is bad. But I don't know that I needed the battery the guy sold me. He was really creepy. My boyfriend eventually showed up and was like, "That guy was weird." I said, "He started acting normal as soon as you showed up!"

At least I finally raised the money to get the alternator. *sigh*

I should be more concerned about my bad eval at work, but this seems so much more pressing!! lol
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
joe murphy

people don't know how to jumpstart cars. you have to have a ground on the car being charged. it is NOT red to red, black to black.

leave it to the pros.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote