Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Jordan Glasser

Default Australian/NZ beef, all grassfed?

In my preliminary research, all beef and lamb are all pasture fed with no grains. I am trying to get confirmation from their governments directly, can anyone here confirm this? I do know they those countries have a much higher standard on what they feed their animals, however, I am still unsure given the literature, whether or not they are fed any grains throughout their lives.

If this is true, it sure does make grassfed meats way more accessible.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Troy Archie

Eat kangaroo. When I was down there I lived off that stuff. Way leaner plus I'm sure it's a game meat if I remember correctly.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Eat kangaroo. When I was down there I lived off that stuff. Way leaner plus I'm sure it's a game meat if I remember correctly.
The reason I ask is because the local grocery store always carries australian and new zealand meats. If I had a choice, it'd be nothing but game; kangaroo, deer, elk, etc.... but it's harder to come by. Being able to pick up fresh grass fed meats at average prices is the goal here.....
Old 12-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

NZ, as far as I know, is always grassfed.

Australian is typically grain-fed unless labeled otherwise.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Sam Cannons

Yeah as far as i know beef is always grain fed in oz but kangaroo is cheap as, so is emu.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Mark Bennett

Jordan,

Please keep us informed as to what your research digs up. This could be the answer I have been looking for.

Regards,
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Brian Lau

Here's some info for NZ,

"Most beef breeding cow herds are found on hill country farms in the North Island, usually in conjunction with other livestock such as sheep and deer. The growing and finishing farms for beef production, in contrast, are mainly on lowland farms where the cattle can be finished on high quality pastures. For almost all beef cattle raised in New Zealand pasture contributes over 95% of their total diet. Forage crops other than pasture are not used widely, but supplementary feed of various types (hay, silage, concentrates, forage crops) may be used during times of feed shortage during winter or during particularly dry summers.

Only a very small proportion of cattle in New Zealand are finished in feedlots, mainly because of the high price of local grain relative to pasture. There is, however, one large feedlot (10,000 head capacity) in the South Island which is part owned by a Japanese company that markets all the product in Japan. Beef production in New Zealand is well served by an efficient, technologically advanced, and innovative processing industry, and both the production and processing sectors have access to a range of strong research groups. "
-Charteris et al. (1999) Pasture-based beef cattle production in New Zealand PDF link

"All sheep and beef farms in New Zealand are run on low input pasture grazing systems, sometimes supplemented with hay, silage and fodder cropping. This low cost system enables New Zealand farmers to supply high quality pasture-fed meat and wool to world markets at competitive prices."
-http://www.maf.govt.nz

"For certain niche markets where customers request grain fed beef, New Zealand farmers and processors have met this demand through raising grain finished beef. Typically cattle are brought into the feedlot and fed a grain-based diet for an agreed period. This results in a product that is more highly marbled in keeping with customer demand in some markets."
-http://www.newzealandbeef.org
Brian Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Jordan Glasser

Here's the response in regards to australian standards:

Hi Justin (I don't know how he calls me justin?!)

Thanks for thinking of Australian beef and lamb. It is fair to say that the majority of lamb that is produced in Australia is pasture fed and grown naturally – no antibiotics or added hormones. There is a small amount of grain fed lamb produced in Australia and this would be marketed as such. It is very important to note that in times of dry seasonal conditions lambs may fed a supplementary food such as hay or perhaps even a little bit of grain. The amount fed would only be for the time required and would only constitute a very small part of the animal’s diet.

In cattle on the other hand Australia does have a significant grain feeding industry and grain fed meat products total about 20-30% of Australia’s meat production in a year. The majority of this product is destined for the North Asian markets such as Japan and Korea. A small percentage of grain fed is sold into North America, mainly the U.S. The majority of product that enters North America (about 90%) is pasture fed. To be sure that the product is pasture fed look for product labelled so….pasture fed, range fed, grass fed are terms commonly used.

Kind Regards

Matt

So, all in all, this thread has answered it all.

thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
No need to worry about leanness with the grassfed animals. The fat is healthy, sport = EAT MORE FAT! YAY!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

I had been avoiding range fed Australian beef at TJ's as I thought it was another sneaky marketing term (to sell grainfed meat to those who want grassfed). I may have been incorrect.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote