Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
sarena kopciel

Default Olympic Weightlifting and Yoga

I have been CFing for a little over a year pretty regularly. I got into CF thru one of the instructors in my yoga teacher training course and was slowly hooked. I say CF for just over a year b/c it took me a few months to do the CFWU in less than an hour!! Pitiful I know!

Anyway, now I am CFing less and Olifting 3x week, prepping for my first meet in Feb. I will be 46 in January.

SO my question is such, I am quite flexible but find some flexibilty has decreased
lately and this concerns me. I teach yoga several times a week but decreased my own practice the last few months. I would like to get back into it while maintaining my Olifting. I saw on a thread on Mikes Gym that Coach Greg feels yoga is not a fitting adjunct to Olifting and was curious as to why and/or any other input regarding Olifting and yoga.

Thanks
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

My guess would be prolonged stretching like in yoga and pilates and such messes up motor patterns because of the long muscles and stretches on the joints/ligaments.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
My guess would be prolonged stretching like in yoga and pilates and such messes up motor patterns because of the long muscles and stretches on the joints/ligaments.

So would you recommend against the two? I love the peaceful feeling I get from yoga--although I do take intense Vinyasa classes.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

http://www.coreperformance.com/artic...?p=1&s=1&id=93

http://thefitcast.com/?p=82
Old 12-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Nice catch Yael. I remember reading those but I couldn't remember where.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
sarena kopciel

Read the articles Yael. I am not saying/asking if yoga will make me bigger or stronger. I am asking if yoga will hinder my oly practice. I have found that since starting CF and furthering with more specific oly work, I have lost flexibility but have gained notable strength. At this point, although I do teach yoga, I want my oly practice to take a front seat in my fitness regime.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Yael Grauer

If areas that are supposed to be stable are too flexible it would limit your Oly practice.

Maybe Greg E will jump in; he can explain it better.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Mohamed F. El-Hewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
SO my question is such, I am quite flexible but find some flexibilty has decreased
lately and this concerns me. I teach yoga several times a week but decreased my own practice the last few months. I would like to get back into it while maintaining my Olifting. I saw on a thread on Mikes Gym that Coach Greg feels yoga is not a fitting adjunct to Olifting and was curious as to why and/or any other input regarding Olifting and yoga.
Thanks
You are venturing into uncharted territories. I trained on weightlifting for 42 years and discovered yoga only recently. Yoga helped me continue lifting the way I was in my early thirties. You will not find a single expert on the combination of yoga and OL and most of the given advice is hypothetical. To sum my point, I would say the following:

1) Flexibility and laxity are two different things. You could be flexible and still have the highly controlled joints for weightlifting.

2) Loss of flexibility is not often reversible. Many weightlifters have lost felicity in many joints with no hope for undoing the change.

3) I suggest that when you read an article or find an opinion on such interesting topic, you should search the background of the source. Many sources make unsubstantiated claims on issues out of its scope of practical expertise.

Enjoy yoga and weightlifting and you will never regret their benefits.

=====
Mohamed F. El-Hewie
Mohamed F. El-Hewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Although never have taken a yoga class, I am more interested as I know how tight and inflexible I am...just doing my own version of deep poses has helped me in my athletic endeavors. Health, flexibility and reduced risk of injury is more my focus in life now. If it works for you, then it works.

I remember reading this a while back too....as you may see more ageing athletes turn to less destructive training such as yoga...or how TO now talks about all his band only training (of course he is selling them too....but he has been doing it for a while and credits some of his career longevity to it). Keep in mind they had a good base of strength and fitness to begin with though.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...0/workout0927/
Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
Yael Grauer

Many yoga poses seriously mess up my back... I do some stretching but am more focused on mobility work and it's gotten much better.