Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default Smoked Meats

So I have a friend who has a smoker...He has graciously smoked all types of things for me..incl organic meats, wild fish, and last week a grassfed turkey breast! Now that I have the organ meat on order, he has agreed to smoke some tongue for me. All he uses is salt and wood chips. he does it outdoors. ABout my tongue, do you think I should precook or not! Any thoughts about smoked heart or spleen?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Scott Kustes
Senior Member
 
Scott Kustes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,048
Default

Sounds delicious is my only thought. The tongue is similar to a roast, so it should smoke up just fine. The heart is cool since it has a nice cavity that you can use to stuff in some additional flavor enhancers. Let us know how it turns out.
__________________
Scott

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Sounds delicious is my only thought. The tongue is similar to a roast, so it should smoke up just fine. The heart is cool since it has a nice cavity that you can use to stuff in some additional flavor enhancers. Let us know how it turns out.
any ideas how to do them! The tongue I should just smoke without precooking? The heart as well?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Scott Kustes
Senior Member
 
Scott Kustes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,048
Default

Don't know...never smoked anything (at least not in a smoker ). Do you typically precook things before smoking them?
__________________
Scott

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Don't know...never smoked anything (at least not in a smoker ). Do you typically precook things before smoking them?
he never did precook anything so I think the tongue should be fine and I will peel after smoked! Not sure about spleen or heart! He actually told me he has had venison smoked. Will get my hands on some of that soon too...
Please Scotty buy some spleen so we all know what to do with it!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Sarena,
I have no idea of a comment here...the only smoked meat I ever eat is smoked wild salmon, I stopped that because it was just TOO salty (and bad table salt at that).

My suggestion is to keep smoked meats/offal as a treat. Combustion by-products aren't good on a regular basis. The excess of salt that is often used isn't that great either.

Use good salt at the very least. Either pink Himalayan or Celtic, IMO.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Frank Needham
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 543
Default

We have a smoker and use it pretty often. For seasoning try using Durkee Six Pepper Blend. I love this stuff but it is still quite high in sodium. I've been informed before, as G says, that there are by-products that aren't so good for regular consumption. I think it was Brad K that made comment about nitrites being high in smoked meat. Here's a link that goes into more detail: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0974.html Personally I don't worry about it much since it would probably be necessary to eat the stuff on a very regular basis to do harm. Also, I believe most perceptions about smoked meat are driven by what is available commercially, not what folks do in their backyards? In other words, since you won't be adding any sodium nitrites/nitrates to your meats, and you will not likely be adding much table salts either, you should be good to go. My reading on the subject has been far too casual though and you may want to delve further.
__________________
"Lack of sleep makes cowards of us all."
Frank Needham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
We have a smoker and use it pretty often. For seasoning try using Durkee Six Pepper Blend. I love this stuff but it is still quite high in sodium. I've been informed before, as G says, that there are by-products that aren't so good for regular consumption. I think it was Brad K that made comment about nitrites being high in smoked meat. Here's a link that goes into more detail: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0974.html Personally I don't worry about it much since it would probably be necessary to eat the stuff on a very regular basis to do harm. Also, I believe most perceptions about smoked meat are driven by what is available commercially, not what folks do in their backyards? In other words, since you won't be adding any sodium nitrites/nitrates to your meats, and you will not likely be adding much table salts either, you should be good to go. My reading on the subject has been far too casual though and you may want to delve further.
thanx! And being that this is a good friend, I always buy extra meat/fish and have him make some for his family too. I wonder if he'll want heart and spleen?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Bought friend some himalayan salt and also got a bunch of salmon, cod and sable (wild)! Will keep you all posted. He said that he uses minimal salt, only 1 c in water to brine the food for 1/2 hr! The normal recipe is for 4-6 c minimum.
Next up the tongue when that arrives (lamb and bison). Then I wanna try for some venison! my friend says smoked venison is the best!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
Sam Cannons
Senior Member
 
Sam Cannons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cairns, North Queensland
Posts: 322
Default

What about drying meats ? I have a dehydrator and am yet to really get in the jerky. Can you jerky offal and tongue ? Any good recipes ? Are there any health concerns about regularly eating dried meats ?

Thanks
__________________
"Its only after we lose everything that were free to do anything" Tyler Durden
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator