Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default 6 week program

Anybody got a 6-week fight training program they could recommend? I'm planning on going to Straight Blast Gym during my spring break just for group classes (affordable), and I want to get in fighting shape to get as much out of it as possible. I am looking for a 6-week program.

My log is on here but basically I do MMA two days a week and lifting two to four days a week. I'll alternate between workouts: 1) clean and jerk, snatch, push press 2) squats (front or back, ass to ankles), 3) shoulder press, dumbbell bench press and assisted pullups. I try to do five days a week but it does not work because I dont' go if I am sore.

I want to throw in high pulls too because that is my weak link--I can dead a lot and squat a lot but I can't really high pull any more weight than I can clean.

Suggestions?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
John Alston

Sounds like you have a good program now except that it overworks you, since you have to take breaks.
Maybe you could group lifting after MMA one day, so you get more completely off days? Even though one day would be extra hard.

Also, your clean should be a lot heavier than your high pull.
Cleans only go up to navel. High pulls go to chin.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
sarena kopciel

Yael, I really know nothing about fighting, but my $0.02 would be to start shopping and cooking on weekends so your fuel is above and beyond. This I think will assure you continued success without the need for breaks.

I know and hear your life is tough with school and all, but the nutrition I believe is crucial. Actually your school schedule will probably be enhanced positively and stress reduced with the appropriate nutritional choices. Please tell me to go to hell if I am way off base! Just trying to offer suggestions that I found helpful when people gave me the tough love deal...
Check out Robb Wolf from the other day here. The attachments are where it is at!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Chuck Kechter

Yael,

I'm not sure what you're looking for, as you seem to have a program that you are working...

If you're looking for something more "sport specific" -- and you have the recoverability (is that a word?) to handle it, you might add some position specific intervals as a finisher to your lifting sessions.

Stuff like shrimping, armbar rolls, base switches, penetration steps, et cetera...

Do them for reps to increase your gas tank (as a finisher, i would shoot for 10-15 minutes tops), or sew them together to work out any kinks you might develop in your other training -- a sort of sport specific "yoga"...

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Thanks!! I do lift after MMA some days, if I don't roll enough or with enough guys. Good idea.

I do shop and cook on weekends; this week was just hard. I eat huge dinners though and I actually think I recover better when I eat little during the day. I've seen Robb's attachments but I have my own schedule.

We do a lot of warmups (base switches, etc.) before MMA; I guess I'm just looking for more specific workouts or some kind of program that's not as boring as mine is...
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Anton Emery

Cool to hear you are training at Straight Blast. I train at the main gym here in Portland, OR, and i hear overall the SB gyms have a really good vibe.

Your program looks like it might have alot of strength work if you are coming at it from an MMA perspective. Are you doing any metcon's? I would think about doing one day geared towards maximal strength, something like 3-5 sets of 2-3 reps of a few compound lifts, another day of explosive strength, and two conditioning days. Explosive strength days could be lighter weight O-lifts or bodyweight stuff like explosive pushups, jumping squats, knee tucks, etc. Conditioning could be running sprints, jump rope intervals or any number of things.

I also find to get in MMA/Grappling shape i have to do exactly that, spar/grapple alot. Crossfit and other workout regimens help, but nothing can replace the actual activity.

anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

I guess that's what I'm looking for is some kind of sport-specific metcon that I can add to what I'm already doing. Actually I found an old thread on this and am writing myself a program. I would love to do more grappling etc. but unfortunately we take turns in class due to limited mat space and I don't get to go for very long. Though I'm gonna hit some guys I know up for practice sessions. I just want to go to the main gym for like a week. I have spring break and friends in PDX so I just thought I'd check it out. Their weekly price is right so...
Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Anton Emery

Oh, so you are coming up here to PDX for a week? Cool, shoot me a PM before you come, we can meet up. I also train at Crossfit Portland, which is a nice place.

There are some exercises that kind of transfer over to grappling. i find Turkish get ups are very similar to the standing up to base position you do from the guard. You could incorporate a drill that involves 30 sec of sprawls, that will help your takedown defense. Sandbag exercises are good, grabbing and manipulating them is kind of like moving a person.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Will do!!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Michael Miller

Yael, if you haven't already takin a look at Ross's new "Full Throttle Conditioning" DVD you might give it a try. It's cheap, you get a dvd and manual, plus it's geared totally to fighters and how to manage their workouts along with martial arts practice so as not to overtrain. Probly nothing you don't already know or heard about but i thought it was cool just to watch Ross and get some program variations specifically for fighters. All kinds of resources in the back of the manual as well.
Michael Miller is offline   Reply With Quote