Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Tim Donahey
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15
Default ...nuts and seeds...

Which are good and which are bad and which aren't really nuts or seeds at all?





first post woohoo!
Tim Donahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Scott Kustes
Senior Member
 
Scott Kustes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,048
Default

Peanuts are legumes. Cashews require heat processing to be extracted and are therefore, technically, not Paleo as they can't be eaten raw. Other than that, I think all other nuts and seeds are fair game.
__________________
Scott

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Walnuts...Almonds....Macadamia....best is of course Non-roasted, Non-salted and Raw organic.

Remember that most have more omega 6s than 3s, so keep in moderation or inflammation may increase. That and MUFA and healthy Sat fats are better and more stable if you can get them. Everything in moderation.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Will Moore
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 42
Default

Peanuts are often shunned by the Paleo crowd because they are technicaly a legeume. I don't totally agree with that. Unlilke other legumes, peanuts can be dug up and eaten in a raw state. Many other legumes would certainly put you in the hospital if you tried this. Also, the macros are similar, and in some cases superior to actual tree nuts. For those concerned about carbohydrates, they contain less than pistachios and cashews. They have more protein than any tree nut. They contain less polyunsaturated fat than walnuts or seeds and are therefore less prone to rancidity.

Then there's the issue of fungus in peanuts. Everyone here is already aware so I won't elaborate. I will say, however that I live in the heart of peanut country in North Carolina and the risk is small when eating this local peanut crop. I have visited the farms and seen their processes for harvesting, curing, and storing peanuts. All batches are thoroughly screened and storage conditions are under intense scrutiny to prevent fungus. North Carolina grows the Virginia Peanut, the largest kind most commonly eaten in the shell and as "Coctail" peanuts (i.e. Planters brand). North Carolina grows far more Virginia Peanuts than Virginia does and you can Google several good online sources for buying these. If one must eat peanuts, I suggest these above all others for quality and safety. NEVER buy imported Chinese or Indian peanuts...you are really taking your chances. Anyway, that's my "two cents" on Peanuts. I can only attest to the quality and safety of locally grown Virginia Peanuts. Larger peanut producing states, such as Georgia, Alabama, and Texas grow "Runner" peanuts, 90% of which are destined to become peanut butter. I am not aware of their quality assurance standards.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Tim Donahey
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Peanuts are legumes. Cashews require heat processing to be extracted and are therefore, technically, not Paleo as they can't be eaten raw. Other than that, I think all other nuts and seeds are fair game.
Is it only okay to heat process a food to kill bacteria, ie meats, and not as a way to remove toxins? Are raw cashews toxic?
Tim Donahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Will Moore
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 42
Default

No, raw cashews are not toxic raw and you can buy them raw for eating right out of the bag or can. They are more difficult to find at normal stores, but you can order them online. There are two different schools of thought on eating cashews: Some say to eat them raw so that you do not alter or destroy the beneficial fats. Others say to roast them so that their nutrients (minerals) are more available. I would try roasted and raw and see which works best. Be carefull eating too many if you are counting carbs because they have the most of any nut.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Allen Yeh
Senior Member
 
Allen Yeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Moore View Post
Peanuts are often shunned by the Paleo crowd because they are technicaly a legeume. I don't totally agree with that. Unlilke other legumes, peanuts can be dug up and eaten in a raw state. Many other legumes would certainly put you in the hospital if you tried this. Also, the macros are similar, and in some cases superior to actual tree nuts. For those concerned about carbohydrates, they contain less than pistachios and cashews. They have more protein than any tree nut. They contain less polyunsaturated fat than walnuts or seeds and are therefore less prone to rancidity.

Then there's the issue of fungus in peanuts. Everyone here is already aware so I won't elaborate. I will say, however that I live in the heart of peanut country in North Carolina and the risk is small when eating this local peanut crop. I have visited the farms and seen their processes for harvesting, curing, and storing peanuts. All batches are thoroughly screened and storage conditions are under intense scrutiny to prevent fungus. North Carolina grows the Virginia Peanut, the largest kind most commonly eaten in the shell and as "Coctail" peanuts (i.e. Planters brand). North Carolina grows far more Virginia Peanuts than Virginia does and you can Google several good online sources for buying these. If one must eat peanuts, I suggest these above all others for quality and safety. NEVER buy imported Chinese or Indian peanuts...you are really taking your chances. Anyway, that's my "two cents" on Peanuts. I can only attest to the quality and safety of locally grown Virginia Peanuts. Larger peanut producing states, such as Georgia, Alabama, and Texas grow "Runner" peanuts, 90% of which are destined to become peanut butter. I am not aware of their quality assurance standards.

Hm I'll have to check what TJ's sells the next time I'm in there now.
__________________
"And for crying out loud. Don't go into the pain cave. I can't stress this enough. Your Totem Animal won't be in there to help you. You'll be on your own. The Pain Cave is for cowards.
Pain is your companion, don't go hide from it."
-Kelly Starrett
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Scott Kustes
Senior Member
 
Scott Kustes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Is it only okay to heat process a food to kill bacteria, ie meats, and not as a way to remove toxins? Are raw cashews toxic?
I think the issue boils down to "can the food be eaten raw?" It's not necessarily whether it is or not.
__________________
Scott

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Tim Donahey
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Another question. I've heard that the reasoning behind corn and wheat being inedible is that, b/c they are seeds, they possess attributes that make them undigestible so they will be ready for seeding after passing through an animals' digestive tract. Why doesn't this reasoning apply to sunflower and pumpkin seeds?
Tim Donahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Tim,
In general I think it does--that's why many people soak and/or sprout their seeds to make them more digestible, as it breaks down many of the antinutrients.

The more nuts and seeds I see people eat (excessive amounts), I often see more digestive difficulties. Especially with a lack of chewing.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator