Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Tim Donahey

Default ...nuts and seeds...

Which are good and which are bad and which aren't really nuts or seeds at all?

first post woohoo!
Tim Donahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Peanuts are legumes. Cashews require heat processing to be extracted and are therefore, technically, not Paleo as they can't be eaten raw. Other than that, I think all other nuts and seeds are fair game.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Walnuts...Almonds....Macadamia....best is of course Non-roasted, Non-salted and Raw organic.

Remember that most have more omega 6s than 3s, so keep in moderation or inflammation may increase. That and MUFA and healthy Sat fats are better and more stable if you can get them. Everything in moderation.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Will Moore

Peanuts are often shunned by the Paleo crowd because they are technicaly a legeume. I don't totally agree with that. Unlilke other legumes, peanuts can be dug up and eaten in a raw state. Many other legumes would certainly put you in the hospital if you tried this. Also, the macros are similar, and in some cases superior to actual tree nuts. For those concerned about carbohydrates, they contain less than pistachios and cashews. They have more protein than any tree nut. They contain less polyunsaturated fat than walnuts or seeds and are therefore less prone to rancidity.

Then there's the issue of fungus in peanuts. Everyone here is already aware so I won't elaborate. I will say, however that I live in the heart of peanut country in North Carolina and the risk is small when eating this local peanut crop. I have visited the farms and seen their processes for harvesting, curing, and storing peanuts. All batches are thoroughly screened and storage conditions are under intense scrutiny to prevent fungus. North Carolina grows the Virginia Peanut, the largest kind most commonly eaten in the shell and as "Coctail" peanuts (i.e. Planters brand). North Carolina grows far more Virginia Peanuts than Virginia does and you can Google several good online sources for buying these. If one must eat peanuts, I suggest these above all others for quality and safety. NEVER buy imported Chinese or Indian peanuts...you are really taking your chances. Anyway, that's my "two cents" on Peanuts. I can only attest to the quality and safety of locally grown Virginia Peanuts. Larger peanut producing states, such as Georgia, Alabama, and Texas grow "Runner" peanuts, 90% of which are destined to become peanut butter. I am not aware of their quality assurance standards.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Tim Donahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Peanuts are legumes. Cashews require heat processing to be extracted and are therefore, technically, not Paleo as they can't be eaten raw. Other than that, I think all other nuts and seeds are fair game.
Is it only okay to heat process a food to kill bacteria, ie meats, and not as a way to remove toxins? Are raw cashews toxic?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Will Moore

No, raw cashews are not toxic raw and you can buy them raw for eating right out of the bag or can. They are more difficult to find at normal stores, but you can order them online. There are two different schools of thought on eating cashews: Some say to eat them raw so that you do not alter or destroy the beneficial fats. Others say to roast them so that their nutrients (minerals) are more available. I would try roasted and raw and see which works best. Be carefull eating too many if you are counting carbs because they have the most of any nut.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Moore View Post
Peanuts are often shunned by the Paleo crowd because they are technicaly a legeume. I don't totally agree with that. Unlilke other legumes, peanuts can be dug up and eaten in a raw state. Many other legumes would certainly put you in the hospital if you tried this. Also, the macros are similar, and in some cases superior to actual tree nuts. For those concerned about carbohydrates, they contain less than pistachios and cashews. They have more protein than any tree nut. They contain less polyunsaturated fat than walnuts or seeds and are therefore less prone to rancidity.

Then there's the issue of fungus in peanuts. Everyone here is already aware so I won't elaborate. I will say, however that I live in the heart of peanut country in North Carolina and the risk is small when eating this local peanut crop. I have visited the farms and seen their processes for harvesting, curing, and storing peanuts. All batches are thoroughly screened and storage conditions are under intense scrutiny to prevent fungus. North Carolina grows the Virginia Peanut, the largest kind most commonly eaten in the shell and as "Coctail" peanuts (i.e. Planters brand). North Carolina grows far more Virginia Peanuts than Virginia does and you can Google several good online sources for buying these. If one must eat peanuts, I suggest these above all others for quality and safety. NEVER buy imported Chinese or Indian peanuts...you are really taking your chances. Anyway, that's my "two cents" on Peanuts. I can only attest to the quality and safety of locally grown Virginia Peanuts. Larger peanut producing states, such as Georgia, Alabama, and Texas grow "Runner" peanuts, 90% of which are destined to become peanut butter. I am not aware of their quality assurance standards.

Hm I'll have to check what TJ's sells the next time I'm in there now.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Is it only okay to heat process a food to kill bacteria, ie meats, and not as a way to remove toxins? Are raw cashews toxic?
I think the issue boils down to "can the food be eaten raw?" It's not necessarily whether it is or not.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Tim Donahey

Another question. I've heard that the reasoning behind corn and wheat being inedible is that, b/c they are seeds, they possess attributes that make them undigestible so they will be ready for seeding after passing through an animals' digestive tract. Why doesn't this reasoning apply to sunflower and pumpkin seeds?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Tim,
In general I think it does--that's why many people soak and/or sprout their seeds to make them more digestible, as it breaks down many of the antinutrients.

The more nuts and seeds I see people eat (excessive amounts), I often see more digestive difficulties. Especially with a lack of chewing.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote