Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Dave Paton

Default Bikram Yoga...my take

I went to a Bikram Yoga class today. I read about it last week in a Dan John article. I was really sore today from doing heavy squats on Thursday and decided to do this instead of oly lifting. I will make up for that tomorrow. For those that don't know (i didn't until a couple of days ago) Bikram Yoga is yoga done in a really hot environment. The room was like 105-110 degrees with 50% humidity. I am sure there is more to it, but that's what kind of makes it unique. I had done one yoga class about 3 years ago.

Well, it was really hot as advertised. I sweated buckets. I can't say much about the yoga, because i am a complete novice. Afterwards, i was totally whipped, but my joints felt good. Kind of like a hot massage or something.

Would I go back? I don't think so. The truth is, I don't really like yoga. I would rather just lift heavy stuff over my head and then sit in a steam room.
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Dave Paton

I guess it's called Brikam. not Bikram.
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
sarena kopciel

Hey I did Bikram for 4 years straight at least 5x week. I even managed a Bikram studio in NYC for about a year!! The yoga postures are fairly easy in as far as yoga is concerned but the heat is what makes it more difficult. The teachers are taught according to a strict dialogue are not allow to veer off that path...

Needless to say, I dont do Bikram anymore!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Jordan Glasser

I'm not here to bash Yoga. But, BE CAREFUL if you are not a flexible person and practice Bikram yoga regularly. The duration of the poses, combined with the heat, are potentially dangerous if the subject is not extremely aware of what is being stretched.

Sweat away....
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

I liked Bikram when I went (you had the spelling right the first time, Dave), at least the postures that were selected for use. Doing them twice through was a good thing also, IMO.

I also felt completely whipped afterward and didn't like how my other workouts suffered.

I could see including it once a week. That reminds me, I still have three passes to Anusara yoga that I need to use sometime. I think one time a week of that would be enough as well.

That DJ article was definitely a good reminder of recovery methods, both time- and $$-wise.

Oh yeah, doing Bikram in Tucson in the summer is about as stupid as it gets, unless one likes dehydration and electrolyte depletion!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I liked Bikram when I went (you had the spelling right the first time, Dave), at least the postures that were selected for use. Doing them twice through was a good thing also, IMO.

I also felt completely whipped afterward and didn't like how my other workouts suffered.

I could see including it once a week. That reminds me, I still have three passes to Anusara yoga that I need to use sometime. I think one time a week of that would be enough as well.

That DJ article was definitely a good reminder of recovery methods, both time- and $$-wise.

Oh yeah, doing Bikram in Tucson in the summer is about as stupid as it gets, unless one likes dehydration and electrolyte depletion!
Guess that is what Emerg_C is for!! No wonder they sell that along with that coconut water is most Bikram studios these days!!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
LucienNicholson

My understanding of Bikram from a buddy of mine who is certified in Ashtanga Yoga is that it is pretty much a lame, watered down form of Yoga from the perspective of yoga in general

1) It is done in a heated room, so people get put into positions they do not have flexibility for otherwise, thus putting them at increased risk of injuries and dehydration.

2) Properly done Yoga makes you sweat enough.

3) It is a series of 20 some odd poses that are "patented." Nevermind that they have been done in India for centuries, just that he patented them in that order. That just begs what the other 200 or more poses that Yogis use are for if Bikram doesn't use them. It almost seems like marketing an easier product to people for their self-esteem. I would love CF sans burpees and thrusters, or o-lifting without back squats, but that's not how it works.

I've never done Yoga, nor do I want to invest the time that he does, but I respect a lot of the strength he has and his inversion abilities. I really don't see a practical use for back bends and the like, though.
LucienNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

I do get a kick out of yoga practitioners talking smack about each other's styles...seems so antithetical to the whole practice. One of the attributes I've seen cultured well by yoga (of multiple styles) is a sense of arrogance and snobbery towards the other styles. That's one of the reasons I haven't used those last three passes.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

What would a Yoga street fight be? You just got served with a ....downward facing dog?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I do get a kick out of yoga practitioners talking smack about each other's styles...seems so antithetical to the whole practice.
Just like fitness practitioners talking smack about other's styles....
Don't we do that all the time?
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote