Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Troy Archie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 515
Default My Black Box and Transitions

I'm just Joe Average finishing up 13 weeks of SS, with 5 weeks left where I made some really great gains. I'm starting to stall a bit plus summer is around the corner so I'd like to change things up. I'm looking to add in some conditioning for the summer and the fun that comes with it. I suppose I'm a bit strength baised so I'm not that interested in going back to strictly CF'n, but have decided to throw it all into a Black Box Template inspired from PM issue 17, that goes a little something like that:

Mon - TB
Tues - CF*
Wed - LB
Thurs - CF*
Fri - UB
Sat - CF*
Sun - CF*

Week 1: 5x5
Week 2: 5x3
Week 3: 5x1

TB- Power Cleans, Clean Deadlifts
LB- Back Squats, Front Squats
UB- Bench Press, Shoulder Press

Each left is rotated with it's match after the 3 week cycle. The only exception to the reps and sets structure is the Power Cleans, which will be at 3x8, 3x5 & 5x1.

*Crossfit WOD:
I'm pushing for 2-3 WODs per week, either staggered with the ME days or post ME depending on time & life constraints. I have them labelled 4 days a week simply because it'll be a workout as can basis.
The WOD's will be cycled on a intensity rotation:
5-10 min (Fran, Sprints, CA WOD, Helen)
10-20 min (Helen, Cindy, Tabata, For Rounds)
+20 min - once every 2 weeks

Any comments on the general structure would be great. I'll be testing my maxes at the end of the 13 weeks of SS and I think I'll be pleased. My main goals with this is some Met/Con and increased work capacity without a huge strength drop that I've experienced in the past with CF. I'm interested in anyone else's experiences moving from a pure strength program and some of the best ways to hold onto that strength gained.
Thanks
__________________
Healthy body sick mind...
Troy Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Casey Williams
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indpls, IN
Posts: 43
Default

Wheres you rest days??
casey
Casey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
My main goals with this is some Met/Con and increased work capacity without a huge strength drop that I've experienced in the past with CF.
That usually means more strength based, fewer metcons, eat eat eat and rest rest rest. You will be able to tell in how your strength days go on how you are effected by metcons. Chart progress and stop and change something if you are losing strength...as you say that's not the goal and it has happened in the past. Think long term...and not burn yourself out short term
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Coach Rutherford
New Member
 
Coach Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Default

Troy- IMO you are not going to maintain this for about 3 weeks before your crater. You have no rest. Adaptations occur when Stress + Rest is balanced. At minimum you need Sunday off with 8-9 hours of sleep each night.
__________________
Coach Rut Light Weight Baby!
Coach Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Troy Archie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 515
Default

I'm assuming no one read what I orignially posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
*Crossfit WOD:
I'm pushing for 2-3 WODs per week, either staggered with the ME days or post ME depending on time & life constraints. I have them labelled 4 days a week simply because it'll be a workout as can basis.
Odds are they'll probably be 2 WODs week at MOST along with a game of Ultimate frisbee in the mix. I'd push for 3 but with my time constraints it's unlikely.

Days off would then be anyone of those days labelled "CF"
This would be a better way to look at it:

Mon - TB
Tues - CF or off
Wed - LB
Thurs - CF or off
Fri - UB
Sat - CF or off
Sun - CF or off
__________________
Healthy body sick mind...
Troy Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Dave Paton
Member
 
Dave Paton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 167
Default

What are your LONG TERM fitness goals?
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Again with with Rut says....rest is important. If your strength numbers go down, then you are not recovering. So you can try anything just knowing that golden rule. That and your calories needs may increase. Also watch the burn out factor....been there done that.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Troy Archie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 515
Default

Goals?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Josh_Greg-Fran.wmv

Haha j/k, me and everyone else lined up to the kool-aid bowl.

Goals? Happiness. A balanced lifestyle. I don't have much of a sport or ever really have. I tinker but that's about it. I enjoy fitness as a way to make myself happy and increase my quality of life and live a fuller life. I suppose I'm following your mindset MOD, if I've read your posts correctly. My definition of "general fitness" has more of a biased towards strength, strength gains and increased LBM but over a longer period of time, instead of going all or broke, swinging from SS to CF. That said, I have been thinking about cycling between SS/PP and a black box type template like I have outlined. I suppose numbers wise I would like a 300lbs back squat and a 185-200lbs bench press with some decent conditioning so I can walk up the stairs without gasping for air or do some running around chasing a frisbee in the summer months and not puke. I'm working with a 110kg/242lbsx5repsx3sets back squat and a 69kg/152lbsx5repsx3sets bench as of today.
__________________
Healthy body sick mind...
Troy Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Goals?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Josh_Greg-Fran.wmv

Haha j/k, me and everyone else lined up to the kool-aid bowl.

Goals? Happiness. A balanced lifestyle. I don't have much of a sport or ever really have. I tinker but that's about it. I enjoy fitness as a way to make myself happy and increase my quality of life and live a fuller life. I suppose I'm following your mindset MOD, if I've read your posts correctly. My definition of "general fitness" has more of a biased towards strength, strength gains and increased LBM but over a longer period of time, instead of going all or broke, swinging from SS to CF. That said, I have been thinking about cycling between SS/PP and a black box type template like I have outlined. I suppose numbers wise I would like a 300lbs back squat and a 185-200lbs bench press with some decent conditioning so I can walk up the stairs without gasping for air or do some running around chasing a frisbee in the summer months and not puke. I'm working with a 110kg/242lbsx5repsx3sets back squat and a 69kg/152lbsx5repsx3sets bench as of today.
In the end, find something that makes you happy and excited to train....don't overdo it and burn out. I personally don't have a strict schedule but some weeks are more lifting...others are more biking and being outside. I like the flexibility and if you also believe that true randomization is the way to optimal results...then it all works out. Keep the strength going, play with the other days as you see fit and enjoyable whether it be CF metcon or your own version. That and remember nutrition is a huge factor....so nail that down and everything else seems to get easier around you. Oh yeah...drink Guinness for strength!
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator