Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Default My Black Box and Transitions

I'm just Joe Average finishing up 13 weeks of SS, with 5 weeks left where I made some really great gains. I'm starting to stall a bit plus summer is around the corner so I'd like to change things up. I'm looking to add in some conditioning for the summer and the fun that comes with it. I suppose I'm a bit strength baised so I'm not that interested in going back to strictly CF'n, but have decided to throw it all into a Black Box Template inspired from PM issue 17, that goes a little something like that:

Mon - TB
Tues - CF*
Wed - LB
Thurs - CF*
Fri - UB
Sat - CF*
Sun - CF*

Week 1: 5x5
Week 2: 5x3
Week 3: 5x1

TB- Power Cleans, Clean Deadlifts
LB- Back Squats, Front Squats
UB- Bench Press, Shoulder Press

Each left is rotated with it's match after the 3 week cycle. The only exception to the reps and sets structure is the Power Cleans, which will be at 3x8, 3x5 & 5x1.

*Crossfit WOD:
I'm pushing for 2-3 WODs per week, either staggered with the ME days or post ME depending on time & life constraints. I have them labelled 4 days a week simply because it'll be a workout as can basis.
The WOD's will be cycled on a intensity rotation:
5-10 min (Fran, Sprints, CA WOD, Helen)
10-20 min (Helen, Cindy, Tabata, For Rounds)
+20 min - once every 2 weeks

Any comments on the general structure would be great. I'll be testing my maxes at the end of the 13 weeks of SS and I think I'll be pleased. My main goals with this is some Met/Con and increased work capacity without a huge strength drop that I've experienced in the past with CF. I'm interested in anyone else's experiences moving from a pure strength program and some of the best ways to hold onto that strength gained.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Casey Williams

Wheres you rest days??
casey
Casey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
My main goals with this is some Met/Con and increased work capacity without a huge strength drop that I've experienced in the past with CF.
That usually means more strength based, fewer metcons, eat eat eat and rest rest rest. You will be able to tell in how your strength days go on how you are effected by metcons. Chart progress and stop and change something if you are losing strength...as you say that's not the goal and it has happened in the past. Think long term...and not burn yourself out short term
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Coach Rutherford

Troy- IMO you are not going to maintain this for about 3 weeks before your crater. You have no rest. Adaptations occur when Stress + Rest is balanced. At minimum you need Sunday off with 8-9 hours of sleep each night.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Troy Archie

I'm assuming no one read what I orignially posted.

Quote:
*Crossfit WOD:
I'm pushing for 2-3 WODs per week, either staggered with the ME days or post ME depending on time & life constraints. I have them labelled 4 days a week simply because it'll be a workout as can basis.
Odds are they'll probably be 2 WODs week at MOST along with a game of Ultimate frisbee in the mix. I'd push for 3 but with my time constraints it's unlikely.

Days off would then be anyone of those days labelled "CF"
This would be a better way to look at it:

Mon - TB
Tues - CF or off
Wed - LB
Thurs - CF or off
Fri - UB
Sat - CF or off
Sun - CF or off
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Dave Paton

What are your LONG TERM fitness goals?
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Again with with Rut says....rest is important. If your strength numbers go down, then you are not recovering. So you can try anything just knowing that golden rule. That and your calories needs may increase. Also watch the burn out factor....been there done that.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Troy Archie

Goals?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Josh_Greg-Fran.wmv

Haha j/k, me and everyone else lined up to the kool-aid bowl.

Goals? Happiness. A balanced lifestyle. I don't have much of a sport or ever really have. I tinker but that's about it. I enjoy fitness as a way to make myself happy and increase my quality of life and live a fuller life. I suppose I'm following your mindset MOD, if I've read your posts correctly. My definition of "general fitness" has more of a biased towards strength, strength gains and increased LBM but over a longer period of time, instead of going all or broke, swinging from SS to CF. That said, I have been thinking about cycling between SS/PP and a black box type template like I have outlined. I suppose numbers wise I would like a 300lbs back squat and a 185-200lbs bench press with some decent conditioning so I can walk up the stairs without gasping for air or do some running around chasing a frisbee in the summer months and not puke. I'm working with a 110kg/242lbsx5repsx3sets back squat and a 69kg/152lbsx5repsx3sets bench as of today.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Goals?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Josh_Greg-Fran.wmv

Haha j/k, me and everyone else lined up to the kool-aid bowl.

Goals? Happiness. A balanced lifestyle. I don't have much of a sport or ever really have. I tinker but that's about it. I enjoy fitness as a way to make myself happy and increase my quality of life and live a fuller life. I suppose I'm following your mindset MOD, if I've read your posts correctly. My definition of "general fitness" has more of a biased towards strength, strength gains and increased LBM but over a longer period of time, instead of going all or broke, swinging from SS to CF. That said, I have been thinking about cycling between SS/PP and a black box type template like I have outlined. I suppose numbers wise I would like a 300lbs back squat and a 185-200lbs bench press with some decent conditioning so I can walk up the stairs without gasping for air or do some running around chasing a frisbee in the summer months and not puke. I'm working with a 110kg/242lbsx5repsx3sets back squat and a 69kg/152lbsx5repsx3sets bench as of today.
In the end, find something that makes you happy and excited to train....don't overdo it and burn out. I personally don't have a strict schedule but some weeks are more lifting...others are more biking and being outside. I like the flexibility and if you also believe that true randomization is the way to optimal results...then it all works out. Keep the strength going, play with the other days as you see fit and enjoyable whether it be CF metcon or your own version. That and remember nutrition is a huge factor....so nail that down and everything else seems to get easier around you. Oh yeah...drink Guinness for strength!