Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
Casey Williams

Default Adult gymnastics

I found a place that has an adult program. The most cost efficient allows one to go up to 10hrs for that week...wow! Im gonna check it out tonight. I know Dr. G is taking a class if i remember right.
Casey
Casey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Casey,
I'm actually "teaching" one, to the best of my ability. We only have gym access for one night a week, 1.5 hours, sometimes we push that up to 2 hours because no one really kicks us out and we're there right before closing.

Read the CFJ on the US Navy Gymnastics & Tumbling (it's free), it will give you a lot of fun stuff to start with (assuming you weren't a previous competitive gymnast).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Greg Woods

That's a great deal, Casey. I don't know if my body could take that much gymnastics. I used to go once a week for an hour for $10, now I have the ability to go two or three times a week for free. By free I mean I spent a few hundred bucks and bought them a ring set-up for their facility. The upfront cost was high but ROI is large.
Greg Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Nice.

Try to get some goals though. If you just randomly go and do stuff you won't learn much. Pick out a few things from like drillsandskills and start working on learning them.

If you need any ideas feel free to ask. Coach Sommer should be able to give good advice as well as he frequents this forum too. (and/or you can post on drillsandskill forum as well).
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Casey,
Here's how my classes have been set up so far. We begin with joint mobility (ie. "foot drills", hip circles, other DROM stuff). Then, as a group, we start rotating through various pieces of equipment in this fashion:

Movement drills (ie. balance beam, quadrupedal/mimetic movement, breakfalling/tumbling, or trampoline)

"Pulling" types of work (ie. rope climbs are always first, high bar, ring pulls)

"Pushing" types of work (ie. wall handstands, p-bar work, ring dips/support)

So, we pick one of each, rotate around the various pieces, rinse and repeat until class is over. If that hasn't made sense, we go movement->push->pull->movement->push->pull->... It has worked well so far and everyone has had consistent improvements in things like strength and balance. Several of the folks who are coming are "strength-challenged", as in they have trouble with single ring dips or multiple pull-ups. That's why we separated the pushes and pulls.

Remember that if it is only you, you won't need to wait on other people to get off the equipment. Make sure to get enough rest so your strength doesn't fade too fast!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

For strength I'd recommend working mostly on rings stuff assisted if need be.. but that's just me.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Casey Williams

Steven im langdon0555 on the drillsandskills forum...So i went to the adult class last nite..i had lots of fun. Wow im pretty sore today.. not used to the stuff we did. We stretched in the beginning, then worked on the tumble track. I worked on some front hand springs then a couple of back hand spring attempts. We then went over to the floor and did some of the same things with some handstand rolls, bridge walk over attemps etc. We then went over to the beam and worked some balance, then us 3 guys went over to pommel and worked some on it and the parallel bars. Some of the girls went over to run on vault..i went over to rings and busted out about 5-6 muscle ups total and attempted a few forward shoulder stand and attempted a handstand...i actually got up on one but fell forward. We then did some conditioning at the end which ended up some abs and legs...but i did some pull ups and some psuedo push ups on some paralletes. Me and my buddy had alot of fun and were definately gonna join...so im gonna focus on going to gymnastics probably atleast 3 times a week for 2 hours each and then throw in a deadlift, squat day or 2 of a 3x5. Steven do you have any advice on a beginner ring sequence...i cant do a front lever? Yeah i do need to pick some specific goals...i would like to be able to do a front lever and work up to a planche eventuall.. I also need to work on my handstand so i can do it solid without any help from a wall...sometimes i can knock out a good one freestanding for about 5 seconds.
casey
Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Wow, Casey, I didn't realize your level of gymnastics experience. You're way beyond my suggestions, obviously.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Casey Williams

Garret it was my first time ever trying a gymnastics class...i really dont have any experience. Other than doing some light handstand work, dips, pullups, etc on my rings i havent really done much in the past. My front handsprings were alittle ruff...and the 2 or so back handspring attempts were more like back flips on the tumble track with a spot. I do think for never really doing alot of the stuff i think i did pretty good...my buddy did pretty well to. Im 28 and pretty naturally athletic but have let my fitness slip some. Maybe i shouldve tried gymnastics along time ago when i was younger but i was so involved with baseball and other sports. Maybe i will be a natural and pick alot of things up quick. 2 things i was always interested in but never got around to were gymnastics and martial arts. The one thing that i was happy about the class/program is it seems to have some pretty good structure which is what i was worried about. I have a feeling that the conditioning isnt going to be enough but i will stay after and do more. Posting on here, drillsandskills, gymnasticbodies i feel i have some good resources to get my strength, conditioning back up.
casey
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Paragraphs man! (and grammar.. spelling. It really helps reading it).

As for routine do something simple at first like...

hang, muscle up, L-sit 2s, shoulder stand 2s, dip, backward roll to inverted hang, back lever (assisted if need be), skin the cat, pullout, front lever progression 2s, hang, pull to inverted hang.

with good form of course.

Coach Sommer had an article on this with a very similar one that just went straight from muscle up to back lever to front lever. Just be creative and challenge yourself.