Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Gittit Shwartz

Default Protein requirement - what works for you?

I see most of you use daily protein intake as the starting point and calculate/adjust other macronutrients accordingly. Even those who hate WAM will eyeball their protein.
What is your take on protein requirements - do you all use Zone guidelines for protein?
How do you adjust for factors like IF, training volume and intensity, macro ratios (i.e. lower requirement when carbs are low and fat intake high)?
Do you calculate by total body mass or LBM?
Just curious what has worked for you people, in the end I suppose I will have to test it for myself.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
John Alston

I was aiming for 1g/lb of body weight. Now I'm thinking more might be better, especially as I'm looking to add some muscle mass.
I just posted this article on my blog, on this exact topic.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pr...quirements.htm
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

I don't gain until I start going 1-1.5g/lb of bw. Activity level shouldn't be a huge factor (if you are already getting enough) as you adjust fat or carbs to sustain energy levels. Although there are factors like IF that can increase protein utilization, cycling low and high protein days, higher fat diets to increase nitrogen retention, etc.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

I like to hit 1g/pound in general. If you don't eat 6 times a day, this is not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish. 3 meals a day, weighing and measuring most stuff.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=forbis316
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
John Alston

Weighing and measuring is the antithesis of what I want to be doing with food. I eyeball, try to go big, aim for a lb of meat/fish, which I rough out to 100g, as a base, then, yeah, add a couple shakes. But going to 1.4g/lb will take a little more effort.
I used to aim for 100g by lunch, but it might be 100g before lunch now, with a full 40-50 at lunch, too.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Weighing and measuring is the antithesis of what I want to be doing with food. I eyeball, try to go big, aim for a lb of meat/fish, which I rough out to 100g, as a base, then, yeah, add a couple shakes. But going to 1.4g/lb will take a little more effort.
I used to aim for 100g by lunch, but it might be 100g before lunch now, with a full 40-50 at lunch, too.

John;

Reading your posts make me proud to be a manly guy, well, least I think I am, though your Avatar is a tad spooky.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
John Alston

Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
I was aiming for 1g/lb of body weight. Now I'm thinking more might be better, especially as I'm looking to add some muscle mass.
I just posted this article on my blog, on this exact topic.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pr...quirements.htm
A good article by Lyle.

I typically strive for 1g/lb as well on non workout days. On workout days then I strive for 1g/lb plus my postworkout shake which is 30 grams more. I use to add in my PWO shake into my total count but have recently added it on top of what I am shooting for.

Most days I have no problem, however when I was doing IF I got a little more shaky on those days and ended up having to take a massive shake every day to hit 1g/lb. Currently I'm just trying to get back into eating food again after all the V-diet stuff and after a few weeks of this may give IF another shake.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
John Alston

I think the key for me is going to be second breakfast. Some food, a little shake at home, then the same again at work.
I feel like using a shake with real food makes it "better" than a shake unaccompanied by real food. So there's also the "add a smallish shake to your meals" thing to easily turn a 30g meal into a 60g of protein meal.
6 meals a day seems too much for me, but somehow 4 and 2 snacks sounds fine.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

1.25 - 1.75 pounds of flesh a day.

1/4 to 1/2 of that is at lunch, the rest comes at dinner, the lower end of that range happens on 22-hour fast days (1 or 2 a week).

1 - 1.5 pounds of veggies a day, split in approximately the same doses as the meat.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote