Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Brad Davis

Default Fish Oil & Breastfeeding

I've been doing some research on this over the last few days. My wife is nursing our newborn and is considering supplementing with fish oil. Are there any opinions around here on the subject in general? I found the following product on Carlson's website: http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...rodid=bc42a2ea Would this be a good choice? Does the recommended daily dose seem about right? The serving size gives 200mg of DHA and 100 mg of EPA. Is there a better choice out there?

While I'm at it, I also found http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...5&categid=74d8 and thought of our 11 year old. His diet is atrocious (been struggling with this for a while, not giving up on improving it). Along with the effort to improve his diet, would a supplement like this likely be helpful?

Thank you very much.
DBD
Brad Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
sarena kopciel

I look forward to responses to this as my daughter is due in 2 weeks and is very receptive to these thoughts! I do remember the youtube video of rat babys that had been given fish oils as compared to those who hadn't though....
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

If I were in your situation, I'd use CLO for both.

No more than 2000iu/day of D for the preggers, and probably half that for the young folks.

I'm becoming somewhat torn on the high dosing of EPA/DHA, due to the rancidity issues (lipid peroxidation). At the very least, take all fish oils with some source of mixed tocopherols (complete vitamin E complex) to protect them from oxidation once in the system.

I have people get their solid dose of CLO first, then fill gaps with fish oil as necessary.

My pregnant wife is on 2mL/day of the Green Pastures Blue Ice Therapeutics Gold (CLO + butter oil mix). She gets her other vit. D from her whole food prenatal (Innate Response) and walking in the sun.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Ari Kestler

How do you feel about pregnant women consuming lots of fish oil, specifically towards the end of pregnancy when they are about to give birth...any concerns over potential bleeding out or is the blood thinning negligible?
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

I wouldn't do too much (over do it)....omega 3s are good....too much Mercury would be bad if that was passed along to a newborn with a developing brain. I would say look maybe for the ones that are more DHA concentrated since that is where the positive aspects of brain development come from (EPA is more the inflammation fighter)? Might want to do some more research on that of course. Like Dr G said...you probably don't need alot for a newborn to use and develop from.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

I'd definitely reduce the fish oil as a woman gets close to delivery, and definitely make sure you're getting your fish oil (or CLO) from a company with a good reputation (ie. likely not Wal-Mart brand fish oil) and that states they have third party testing done on their fish oils to show they are clean of mercury/PCBs/dioxins.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
Brad Davis

Thanks MOD and Dr. G. I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I'll post some follow-up questions when I get a chance.

Interesting that CLO is recommended. I need to dig back through the threads and see why.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Jamila Bey

Default Uh F***ing Oh!!!

So...

I'm due June 1 and I haven't cut back at all on on my fish oil... (~1g/day) I also haven't cut back on my swearing, but I figure all things in due time.

What's a good total dosage to aim for?

Mister KickyPants seems to be just happy with whatever I've been eating and supplementing with, but I just need something else to concern myself with in these last few days.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Jamila,
Is that 1g of fish oil, or 1g of EPA+DHA? If it is 1g of EPA+DHA, how many grams of total fish oil are you taking in to get there?

Cori tells me our little girl likes to have her little belly parties at 3am, making it really hard for her to get good sleep unless she stays in bed 10-11 hours. She's doing quite well though!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Brad Davis

Jamila, no desire to rub you the wrong way, but your avatar is probably the most ominous one that I've ever seen!