Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Tom Rawls

Default Deadlift programming, one more time

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my deadlift during the next two 10 weeks. I'm considering entering my first powerlifting competition. (No local Oly comps, plus my Oly lifts are egregious.) I figure the worst that can happen is I'll hurt my back or make a fool of myself. I've done both multiple times, so no big deal.

A few factors to consider:

--I'm 62, so recovery is not as quick for me as for you kids.

--I train both for strength and endurance. I know the endurance training compromises the strength work. You can try to talk me out of the endurance training if you enjoy talking to people who, like teenage children, probably will ignore you

--I've found that I can do 2 days on (one endurance, one strength) followed by 1 day rest. More than that, and I fry pretty quickly. I rarely train on weekends because usually I'm outside doing physical labor for several hours, and after that, forget training.

In late fall/early winter I got my DL up to 300 lbs. (I'm about 215 lbs.) I then shifted my training to prepare for an endurance competition--since done--and have been back lifting for about 6 weeks, but not heavy. So given those circumstances, do you have any suggestions how I get myself a respectable DL by mid-August?

thanx.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Dave Van Skike

Tom,

I train with a bunch of M-2, M-3 Master's lifters and it sure seem like they benifit from the exact same programming as the rest of us 30-40 yo's. DL'ing every other week but keeping a lot of other back work in at least once if not twiec a week, powercleans, rows, DB rows, pullups, shrugs etc., all these things seem to help. Good luck. I see 4 plates in your future.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Tom Rawls

Dave--

DLs every other week?

Last summer and fall, I was doing them weekly, and was able to add weight to the bar most weeks. Of course, I started from a light weight, and the DL was the only pulling I was doing.

thanx for the suggestion and the encouragement. I'm not so sure about 4 plates, unless we're talking dinner plate, salad plate, bread plate, and dessrt plate.

Tom
Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
Dave--

DLs every other week?

Last summer and fall, I was doing them weekly, and was able to add weight to the bar most weeks. Of course, I started from a light weight, and the DL was the only pulling I was doing.

thanx for the suggestion and the encouragement. I'm not so sure about 4 plates, unless we're talking dinner plate, salad plate, bread plate, and dessrt plate.

Tom

It's just an idea, one of the first things I tried when progress stalled was to go to DL heavy every other wk, have seen lots of others do the same with good success if you keep other pulls in there like power clean, rows etc.

405 is just a number, like 300, you'll blow right past it in time.
Where do you train by the way?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Tom Rawls

Dave,

Where?

In my cellar, relatively close to Burlington, VT.

I don't know what sort of lifting community there is around here. The head of the local powerlifting group trains of his cellar. Carissa Gump, who is going to the Olympics, grew up around here, and her coach was a local schoolteacher, who still works with kids. I've never met him.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
Dave,

Where?

In my cellar, relatively close to Burlington, VT.

I don't know what sort of lifting community there is around here. The head of the local powerlifting group trains of his cellar. Carissa Gump, who is going to the Olympics, grew up around here, and her coach was a local schoolteacher, who still works with kids. I've never met him.

Just curious, the right group environment makes a difference.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Tom Rawls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
. . . the right group environment makes a difference.
Don't I know it. Back in college, I lifted with a couple of shotputters. We got a little strong and, as I recall, a lot drunk.

Recently I've been relying on the internet. . . which is why I'm thinking about getting out a bit.

thanx for the suggestions.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Have you considered Starting Strength? It's meant to be 3-days/wk, but it can be done two days/wk. It's a very simple linear programming model and results in rapid gains for most people. In addition it has lots of technique information.

There are two workouts and they alternate:
A -- back squat (3sets of 5reps), bench press (3sets of 5reps), DL (1set of 5reps)

B -- back squat (same), overhead press (3sets of 5reps), power clean (5sets of 3reps)

I might have the bench and overhead press mixed up, but basically that. Of course that assumes you want to gain strength in other areas. Rippetoe (the author) contends that the low-bar back squat will help the deadlift and is easier as far as recovery goes. Deadlifts, OTOH, are brutal so they only have one work set, every other workout.

Of course, if you only want the deadlift, this probably isn't ideal.

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
Tom Rawls

Howard,

I used the SS template last year. It worked well. I've been using a modest, roll-your-own variation of it recently. I was just curious to see what other suggestions more experienced lifters might have if I wanted to make the DL the major goal.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Jonathan Owen

Hi Tom,

I live in New Hampshire and last Nov. I competed in Essex Jct. The coach you are referring to is Chris Polakowski.(I hope I spelled his name right) Along with Carissa Gump he has coached a former junior national champ, (Ben Fuller) it couldn't hurt to get a hold of him as I am pretty sure he would be able to hook you up with someone in the area who could help you out, if you were so inclined. As far as I know he hosts at least a couple meets a year up in Essex Jct. I hope this helps you out in some way, and good luck with training!

Jon
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote