Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 06-10-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
Jane Michel

Default Adrenal powder? Hypothyroidism?

After hearing about Tirzah's success with iodine and adrenal supplements, I thought I should try some as well. Exams are next week and I've been having sleepless nights, bad bloating, cravings for carbs and sugar, just going insane.

What should I be looking for? Garrett in his blog said that he takes adrenal powder? Is that what it's called? Should I be taking kelp pills or anything like that as well? Does anyone know if these things are available in Australia or Singapore? I googled adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism but different websites recommended different things and I'm confused.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Alicia,
I wouldn't suggest just jumping in and taking these things without knowing your situation, whether either through a case intake or preferably with testing.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Be careful with the adrenal powder; I hear it's potentially risky if you don't need it, and it's definitely powerful hormonal stuff. I never expected it to have such a drastic, immediate effect.
I also wasn't having your symptoms of poor sleep, bloating, and bad cravings, FWIW. I had other things going on, but not those.
Good luck! Talking to someone who knows their stuff is definitely worthwhile. Not cheap, but I don't regret a penny of it. If you don't have a naturopath or someone similar close to you, I do recommend calling Dr. G. (No, I'm not getting paid for saying that. I think.)
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Jane Michel

Oh... hrmm... alright. I thought adrenal powder was on the same level as other supplements like ZMA. Thanks for the warning.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Alicia,
Adrenal gland powder contains everything that the adrenals make, things like cortisol and adrenaline/epinephrine. Not stuff you necessarily want to take if you don't need it--that's what the intake and/or testing is for. It is potent stuff, like all strong medicines it can be used incorrectly, but used in the right situation it is great.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote