Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Timothy Holmes

Default I Can't Get No Sleep

I have trouble sleeping lately. No severely troubled, it's just been hard. I've only just starting fasting, it also happens when I'm substantially hypocaloric. I don't feel hungry when heading to bed, but I don't feel like I haven't eaten enough, even though I think I have.

I like intuitive theories: I haven't had enough, so my body won't let me sleep until I've satisfied my energy needs.

I'm pretty sure that I'm getting enough food, but I could be wrong. I suppose the best course of action would be to make absolutely sure that I'm getting enough calories (and enough protein) into me before blaming it on IF.

Could that just be something that happens when adjusting? What are other causes for sleep trouble?

(I'm 20, 5'9", 160#)
Timothy Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

How often are you doing IF? What's your eating schedule? You can take a short break from IF and see what happens. You can cut down/try alternating days with IF or just do one longer fast a week. Make it work for you, there are lots of ways to adjust it....but obviously sleep is a good thing that we need.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Greg Davis

One consideration, while in a bit of a transition period, might be to not force yourself to go to sleep. Rather, grab a book or something to listen to and just stay up a bit till you feel tired.

If this results in short overnight sleeping hours, you could try to squeeze in a shorter nap in the middle of the day to compensate.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Timothy Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
If this results in short overnight sleeping hours, you could try to squeeze in a shorter nap in the middle of the day to compensate.
Yeah, I tried doing this but it didn't work well. I'm a huge fan of mid-afternoon naps. My timetable last semester encouraged nap during lectures (engineering lecturer, ~2:00 pm, after a big protein-rich meal... )

-------------

Mike, I decided to IF as much as my work/study/workout schedule allows, which has so far been pretty much the entire time since it's exam period for me. But yeah, sleep is pretty important, so I'm going to have to experiment a little.

If I did a one or two longer fasts during the week how long should they be, and what about timing with training - training/rest day and what time of the day? At the moment, I'm pretty flexible.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Jordan Glasser

Insomnia is a symptom of overtraining. I briefly looked at your training log, and wow! That's a lot of volume. Maybe the answer is simple. Perhaps this the sign to back off, before an injury forces you to. It's just a possibility to consider.

I have no idea what type of training volume you are capable of, but you did mention somewhere in your programming questions that it was a concern. Perhaps you should seriously evaluate it as a possibility.

Jordan
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

I've seen a lot of people get insomnia from donating blood too often (more than 2x/year). This is related to the chinese medicine syndrome of blood deficiency, of which insomnia is a big part.

I know because I went there a while back. No fun.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Timothy Holmes

Well, I cut my thumb chopping carrots the other day... How long does it take to set in? I haven't given blood for about three months.

Overtraining, me? No way! ... Yeah, you might be right, but I remember training harder than this late last year and sleeping like a baby. I'll continue on the same schedule this week and make sure I get enough food. I've got sneaking suspicion that it's not enough carbs...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Holmes View Post
Well, I cut my thumb chopping carrots the other day... How long does it take to set in? I haven't given blood for about three months.

Overtraining, me? No way! ... Yeah, you might be right, but I remember training harder than this late last year and sleeping like a baby. I'll continue on the same schedule this week and make sure I get enough food. I've got sneaking suspicion that it's not enough carbs...
Remember that training too much, and being overtrained are not one in the same. Other life factors can have, IMO, as much of an impact on how much volume is too much. I am sure that you are capable and have thrived on high volume training. I only mentioned it because you were concerned about it in another thread.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Could it be that overtraining and underrecovery is leading to more chronic stress issues (may also some other lifestyle factors too)? Causing a steady and chronic elevated cortisol response....whose job is to break down whatever it can find to keep a steady supply of glucose to the blood for energy....causing insomnia late at night.......

Take a day off training...go eat....make sure you are taking fish oil and add in daily divided doses of Vit C more often (controls cortisol)...then step back and examine your life to see if you are getting stressed out too much....or take a walk in nature with some deep breathing before you go to bed at night....dump the tv and internet...as they are stimulus...or just watch family guy and let your brain dumb down. (forget news and action shows late and night....will just get you on alert again...another stressor...)

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 06-16-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Holmes View Post
I have trouble sleeping lately. No severely troubled, it's just been hard. I've only just starting fasting, it also happens when I'm substantially hypocaloric. I don't feel hungry when heading to bed, but I don't feel like I haven't eaten enough, even though I think I have.

I like intuitive theories: I haven't had enough, so my body won't let me sleep until I've satisfied my energy needs.

I'm pretty sure that I'm getting enough food, but I could be wrong. I suppose the best course of action would be to make absolutely sure that I'm getting enough calories (and enough protein) into me before blaming it on IF.

Could that just be something that happens when adjusting? What are other causes for sleep trouble?

(I'm 20, 5'9", 160#)
Your intuition was right -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7414437.stm
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote