Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Michael Hill

Default MEBB Rep Scheme

I understand that the MEBB reps are

5x5
5x3
5x1

and that for each of these you want to work up to a ME within that weeks rep range.

Are these supposed to be ramping sets like a Bill Star type 5x5 where you start at 50-60% of 1 RM and only do one really heavy set? Or are you supposed to warm-up and then do 5 heavy work sets increasing each one slightly?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I'd go with the latter. But I'd also switch the 5x5 to 3x5. Especially if you're doing deadlifts.

Well, that's my take. Feel free experimenting and see what works better FOR YOU.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I'd go with the latter. But I'd also switch the 5x5 to 3x5. Especially if you're doing deadlifts.

Well, that's my take. Feel free experimenting and see what works better FOR YOU.

I dunno what MEBB really means and none of this pertains to oly lifts, which I have little experience with...But as far as ME work in sets of 5 goes, I routinely do the three warm up sets then a 3 work set type thing. Ferinstance, last night was DL

135x8 (doesn't count towards workload)
225x5
315x5
415x5
425x5
435x5

like so...

then we did extended dead lifts (off a 4" box) in the same pattern but without
the warm up.

275x5
315x5
365x5

then we did Zercher pause squats in the same pattern....

185x5 (useless actually)
225x5
315x5
355x3 (was smoked and only got 3, so poor weight choice on my part)

You get the idea...three increasing money sets is pretty good for 5's. Now,
With triples and singles you may need more than three money sets but fivers are taxing.

With triples I actually like the same pattern, 2-3 warm up sets and then 3 sets increasing the weight or even sets across.

OTOH, singles are weird. I dunno how the "MEBB" works but we really only do singles to test every three to four weeks. BUT..even if you're a relative novice and want to check in on your max, you can work singles with a lot of sets. It's totally legit to do something like this that gives a decent amount of volume at or near max %'s.

5x60%
3x75%
2x80%
1X85%
1x95%
1x100%
1x90%
1x105%
hopefully new max....

But as above..try and see, everyone's different. My approach doesn't work for Cfters, but it does for me. The basic pattern is the same.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah, I just tend to ramp up my sets and then stick with a weight. That just seems to work for me. Very simple undulated periodization basically.

A couple weeks ago I went through this progression with my weighted dips:

5s: 1x10, 1x5 60 lbs, 1x3 120 lbs, 3x5 130 lbs
3s: 1x5, 1x5 60 lbs, 1x3 120 lbs, 3x3 150 lbs
1s: 1x5, 1x3 70 lbs, 1x3 90 lbs, 1x2 130 lbs, 1x1 150 lbs, 1x1f 165 lbs, 1x1 165 lbs, 1x1 170 lbs, 1x1f 175 lbs

Maybe too quick a build up phase for most of you but I can get away with it I guess. o_o
Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Michael Hill

Steve

I'm glad you confirmed my thoughts that the 5x5, 5x3, 5x1 were all WS. I plan on minimal warm-up of 5,3,2 reps then the WS.

BTW, the MEBB I am referring to is the latest version form the June PM issue where you only go 3 days/week. With one lift followed by short or modified met-con.

I think I will probably stick with the 5x5 for lower and upper days because that is the way the program was written.

I am planning on BS/FS & OHP/Dip for the Lower and upper. Since Oly lifts are out of the questions because I lack proper facilities for them (the will throw me out of the gym) I was planning on the following for the total body exercise on the 3rd day:

5x5 SGDL from a deficit by using smaller plates
5x3 PC
5x1 DL

Perhaps I will only do 3x5 for the SGDL. I think this is pretty reasonable given the lower weight used in the SGDL, followed by the speed element of the PC and ending with a true ME on the DL, but only once every 3 weeks.

Do you think 5x5 on the SGDL would be too much. For me at least I know 5x5 on the traditional DL would knock me on my ass for at least a few days.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

You can probably get away with 2 lifts if you wanted to. Just do 2 pushing, 2 pulling and 2 legs ones per week or mix it up how you want like 3 legs, 2 pushing, 1 pulling and then next week 3 legs, 2 pulling, 1 pushing. Really depends on how short the metcon is.. and what lifts you're doing.

But yeah go ahead and do it by the book if you're just gonna stick with it. Might want to sub one of the DLs for squats. Just try it and see how it feels though. If you haven't trained enough to the point where you've done different programs or know how you respond to different rep schemes exposing yourself now is always a good idea.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Michael Hill

My mistake, I forgot to mention that my upper body day is intended to have 2 lifts a push and pull in the form of a chin up / pull up variation paired with the OHP & Dip.

I understand what you mean about 2 lift, etc. I'll go with this for now and incrementally make slight changes if necessary. I don't want to over think this.