Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Camille Lore

Default Just darn worn out all the time

Hi all- I jumped over here from Crossfit. I've been CFing for 5 months now, following the BrandX scaled pack versions of the workouts.
I've been struggling with elbow tendinitis for a few months off and on, taking 2-4 days rest, icing, ibu, massage and it comes back with the next high pullup workout (go figure).
I've also been zoning for about 3 months on 11 blocks, with some cheating and I've been just tired all the time. I don't get that energy people talk about at all. In fact, I had more energy when I first started CF than now, and before zone. The only time I have energy now is when I take allergy meds with pseudoephedrine in them.
I'm 37, 5'4", 143lbs. I also swim short, intense (for me) sessions 2-3 times a week for about 20-25 minutes during lunch. I sleep about 8 hours a night and sit at a desk all day.
My question- do I need to take a break? (Been 10 weeks since I took a break other than occasional missed wo), or should I look into other things as a cause? Note- I've always been colder than other people, have a few degree lower body temp, bad immunity until the past 6 months, and my weight loss has been kind of slow lately. I'm reluctant to spend $ on tests if I'm just pushing a bit too much for a newbie. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Camille Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Take at least a week break. Just enjoy yourself, go outside, swim, take hikes. If you must go into the gym or workout I'd focus on prehab/mobility exercises and stretching.

I found when I was following the main site WOD I'd force myself to take a week every 3-4 weeks. I'd cut the volume down by half on all the workouts and focus on things I'd neglected.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

CF plus Zone is a great weightloss program, but then, so is Curves. Of course you're tired. Five months of experience, high output and low food.

I get impeccable results with the following recovery program.

Drink Beer, Eat food, Take Naps. Chill.

If you're feeling frisky talk a walk.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Chuck Kechter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
CF plus Zone is a great weightloss program, but then, so is Curves. Of course you're tired. Five months of experience, high output and low food.

I get impeccable results with the following recovery program.

Drink Beer, Eat food, Take Naps. Chill.

If you're feeling frisky talk a walk.
During your off time, also think about other passive and active recovery methods...

Jaccuzi. Suana. Message. Hammock. Yoga. JM. Et cetera...

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Being tired all the time is not good. Take some time off from working out....you won't lose muscle. Take some time off from the zone too....just eat heatlhy and see how your energy levels feel in a week. Sound just burned out....
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

yeah what they said. Also try 2 on/1 off as opposed to 3 on/ 1 off. That, and cutting down on long metcons (over 10 mins), increasing food take (while maintaining quality) and sleeping like its going out of style (don't forget your ZMA!) has worked really well for me over the last few months.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

All of the above is spot on.

Too much output (exercise, stress), not enough input (food, rest). Fix it now or it will only get worse.

No metcons longer than 5 minutes.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Camille Lore

Thank you all for the advice. I'll take it and let you know how it helps .
Camille Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Derek Simonds

Man we got some people with brilliant advice on this board! There is nothing that needs to be said other than what has already been brought up.

Dave your new sig line is spot on.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Man we got some people with brilliant advice on this board! There is nothing that needs to be said other than what has already been brought up.

Dave your new sig line is spot on.
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.