Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Brandon Oto

Default Testers for new program

I need some guinea pigs to help fine-tune the alternative GPP program I'm working on. Good candidates are anyone who's not a total beginner (knows their exercises, has some strength/conditioning) and is willing to play with something new for a week or two (or as long as you want if you like it). Anyone who could use some more strength or power is an especially good fit.

Program is five days a week. Workload is somewhat less than the CF WoD but workouts will probably take you a little longer, more along the lines of a SS workout.

Post or PM if you're interested. Program will be publicly released when it's together.
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
John Alston

So you've made a program based on all the good advice you got from P&B (not really work safe)? Do share.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

I'd prefer to keep it boxed up until the kinks are ironed out. That's why I'm going with a private test first.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

might be dangerous. why aren't you testing it on yourself?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Brandon Oto

I'm in the middle of an unrelated cycle. I'll be on it later. Anyway for obvious reasons I need N>1.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
I'm in the middle of an unrelated cycle. I'll be on it later. Anyway for obvious reasons I need N>1.

ummm. I don't get it. I get the sample size but, why aren't you doing it again? Can you share what the program is?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Tom Rawls

Brandon,

Think less. Do more. Lift heavy. Run fast. Whatever.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

I'm currently doing other specific stuff. (V-Diet among other things, so I won't have the gas for a full-fledged training program.)

It's very similar to Gant's hybrid program. Again, I'd rather keep it private for couple weeks until the details are nailed down, since things will undoubtedly be changing as a result of feedback.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
Noel Welsh

Default Set it loose

I might be interested, as I'm just finishing up a cycle next week. I was thinking of adapting Gant's hybrid program so if yours is similar I could try to incorporate it into the mix. However I have my own goals, which might not coincide with the goals of your program, so I'd be more likely to take the basic ideas and adapt them then follow the program to the letter. I also have a bunch of injuries I have to work around (broken foot which is a few weeks from healed, recent elbow tendinitis, and bizarrely pulled my groin warming up front squats (???)).

All up I think you're better getting the ideas out there and letting others do what they will. I don't think fine tuning of a program is such an important thing. People differ enough in goals and capabilities that your program will get adapted anyway, and you will change it from experience. The idea that you need to create a definitive version before letting the public at it is not so meaningful when you consider this.
Noel Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
I'm currently doing other specific stuff. (V-Diet among other things, so I won't have the gas for a full-fledged training program.)
We've talked, so I know where you're going with this thing. Being a guinea pig** for own program is part of the fun. Nothing duplicates the feeling of knowing when you've done it right or wrong. There have been many times when I've been walking around with a large rock and realized that particular workout was stupid. That's quality feedback, and it gives you a reference point from which to evaluate others' input.

What the hell is a skinny bloke like you doing on the V-diet? You need to come to my house. I made this up while I was eating a half dozen eggs, some sausage, and leftover fajitas.

Ice cream and cookie dough go well with a DL and squat program.

**A little boy asks Grandpa O’Malley, “Can I have five bucks to buy a guinea pig?”

“Here,” says the old man as he hands the boy a $10 bill. “Go get yourself a nice Irish girl instead.”