Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 12-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Default Dietary sources of omega-3's

Am I correct to assume grass munching cows and fish are the primo sources of these fats?

Guess I'm looking for other sources to add to my diet, that have a favorable fat ratio/balance. Anyone have a bona fide list of other foods to eat in this sense?

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Fish don't eat Grass.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Oh yeah....forgot to add:

Cold water fish who live in the ocean (not farmed) and grass fed meats are decent sources. Walnuts also are high in omega 3 as well as flaxseeds. The easiest way of course is fish oil which is concentrated and you know what you are getting.

Of course at the other end of the spectrum is the amount of omega 6s in your diet. It really won't do much good if you get some omega 3s but also have 10x the amount of omega 6s in your diet. Stay away from fatty meats (red meat, pork, turkey, deli meats) that are grain fed, egg yolks from grain fed chickens, anything cooked with veg oils, etc. You are looking for a good balance of omega 3:6 like 1:2-4....most modern diets are 1:25-50. Find the hidden sources of veg oils/omega 6s...those are the real culprits of inflammation. (Also could see a thread on AA and inflammation here)
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=233
Old 12-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Fish don't eat grass? No shit? I had no idea. I'll stop using grass cubes as trout bait. (just kidding)

Thank you for the link. Good starter info there. I should just browse though the billion pages of literature at work, but my company doesn't pay me to research nutrition.

When you get the chance, would you please explain "Get rid of all source of veg oils in your diet (if any...soy, corn, sunflower)." Am I correct in reading that if we're going to eat veggie oils, we should select for soy, corn, and sunflower over the others? Thanks in advance for the help.

Perhaps I'll cave in and buy the paleo book (get it.. cave-man in..) or that anti-inflam book.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Hirakawa : 12-17-2006 at 09:37 AM. Reason: too freaking long, made shorter
Old 12-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Corn and sunflower fall into that catagory of high in Omega 6s, whether it is fed to an animal, converted into AA and then served to you through the meat or eggs, or directly in your diet. Source means the ones that may be in your food that you do not know about. But if you are not eating processed/baked foods, or ordering takeout with food cooked in the oils...you should be ok. Perfect example is Muscle Milk which alot of people use....protein should be good right? But it has a high level of omega 6s as fats...so another source you dont need.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated!

Brad
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Neal Winkler

Like Mike said, ocean caught fish and grass fed meats are the only good dietary sources of omega-3. However, I disagree that walnuts are a good source, their omega-6mega-3 ratio is 5:1. Other than that, you have to go with fish oil/cod liver oil/krill oil. Also, the flaxseed has a form of omega-3 that must be converted to EPA and DHA before it is used by the body, but the conversion ratio is very low, in the order of 5%, so it isn't that hot of a source either.

The best oils to use are olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernal oil, and grass fed lard and tallow.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

Grassfed lard... cool! Honestly never heard of that. I will track some down.

Brad
Old 12-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
Brad Hirakawa

Instead of bombarding yall with more questions, I talked with an old pro for some advice and will ante up and buy a diet book (Protein Power Lifeplan for starters) and spend the next week reading up on Cordain's work. I am particularly looking forward to the references section of his site and that book. Yummy.

No one will be at the lab, so I might as well have fun on my company's dime.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
Neal Winkler

Skip Cordain's book and just read his journal articles on his site. Protein Power Lifeplan is a must have, though.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote