Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Jon Alexander

Default Question from a IF newbie

I was just wondering if when i wake up in the morning if i can have Olive Oil and not be ending my fast. the reason i ask this is for two reasons: first to make sure that i understand the premiss of IF in that it is that you can eat nothing that affects insulin? and the second is that if I am able to do this it helps out tremendously with my morning hungar pangs!!

any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I know their are many people on this board that are more knowladgeable than I am.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Jon Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
George Mounce

Olive oil as a fat has a bunch of calories, so you are breaking your fast.

Your hunger pains are caused by the body's natural release of insulin when you wake. Drink some hot tea or black coffee - of course without sugar - and it should clear it up.

If you drink green tea, make sure you steep it no more than 2 minutes or those tannins will just make it worse.

BTW - hello PM forums. I'm here now.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Steve Forman

Hunger Pains???

How long is your fast? how much are you eating during your eat cycle?

BTW, welcome george glad your here.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Jon Alexander

my fast is usually 15-17 hours. i eat between 2000-2500 cals, heavy in fat and protein and low in carbs. I am 21 years old and weigh between 192-197, and i am 6'1".
And i will give the Black coffee try!

thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Kyle Clayton

Your fasts are the same as mine. When I first started I had hunger pangs in the morning too because I was used to eating non-stop from waking to bedtime. After not too long, they stopped. I occasionally get small pangs in cases like this morning, when I had to be up at 5am but couldn't eat til noon, just because I was awake so long, but nothing severe.

If possible, you might consider modifying your sleep schedule so you aren't awake as long in the morning. On days I don't work I usually sleep until 10 or a little later, get up, workout, then eat around noon. I have no hunger pangs whatsoever when I do this (having stopped eating by 6pm the night before).

I wonder if some IF expert could tell me which fast is more beneficial or if they're the same: a 6pm-12pm fast waking up at 10am, or the same fast waking up at 7am. Does being awake more hours in the morning cause you to burn more fat, or is it only the total time that counts?
Kyle Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Clayton View Post
Does being awake more hours in the morning cause you to burn more fat, or is it only the total time that counts?
Interesting question...but I'm not sure either way if it's going to make a dramatic difference. All depends on the hormones at play, but if you are sleeping in past 10 AM then you are either staying up too late and messing up your GH response or you have cortisol output problems (which could lead to thyroid issues and slowed metabolism) in the AM. Either way, a healthier schedule would be bed early and wake up a bit earlier. So in that sense if that gets a better GH response and keeps your thyroid healthy, then you will get better fat loss and muscle retention in that case.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 08-25-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Jon Alexander

Kyle, I cannot modify my sleep schedule because I work third watch, and dont get off work till 11:30 pm. I also eat my last meal between 9:30 and 10:00pm and usually dont get to bed until at least 1:30 or 2am. I then wake up around 10:30 or 11 workout and end the fast around 1:30 or 2 and repeat.

with that being said MOD do you think that this schedule is messing with my hormones?
if you have a better sugestion on how I should schedule my fasts i am open to all ideas?!

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Alexander View Post
Kyle, I cannot modify my sleep schedule because I work third watch, and dont get off work till 11:30 pm. I also eat my last meal between 9:30 and 10:00pm and usually dont get to bed until at least 1:30 or 2am. I then wake up around 10:30 or 11 workout and end the fast around 1:30 or 2 and repeat.

with that being said MOD do you think that this schedule is messing with my hormones?
if you have a better sugestion on how I should schedule my fasts i am open to all ideas?!

Thanks.
Nah, was just saying in an ideal world we all go to bed at 9pm and wake at 6am....but we all know how that goes. I didn't see where you were working third watch, just saw something about waking up at 10am (which for most people means they usually stay up late when they don't need to....but work scheduling is different). If what you are doing works for you, then stick with it....I don't think modifying IF window is going to effect your hormonal schedule from sleeping. (other than don't go to bed with high insulin levels)
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Jon Alexander

Cool, Thanks for the info MOD!! much appreciated.

one more question: how does my total calorie intake look? too high, too low?

here is a link too my fitday log http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...=Jon+alexander
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
Kyle Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Interesting question...but I'm not sure either way if it's going to make a dramatic difference. All depends on the hormones at play, but if you are sleeping in past 10 AM then you are either staying up too late and messing up your GH response or you have cortisol output problems (which could lead to thyroid issues and slowed metabolism) in the AM. Either way, a healthier schedule would be bed early and wake up a bit earlier. So in that sense if that gets a better GH response and keeps your thyroid healthy, then you will get better fat loss and muscle retention in that case.
Why does the body care what time you go to bed as long as you sleep enough?

I usually get to bed between 10 and 12 due to work and school, and I'm a light sleeper so it takes me a little while to get to sleep. I'll wake up at 10am having slept for about 9 hours.
Kyle Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote