Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Bradley Martyn

Default Breaking a fast....

Maybe this is mentioned somewhere in here...but i cannot find it....

When breaking a fast on a non-workout day...say today Sunday, what is the best way to then fill caloric needs? Fat and protein? and some complex carbs? or just fat protein and veggies....

I guess it just matter what kind of foods you eat...I eat high fat high protein Xcept Post W/O Complex carbs/ sugars. Does that mean i should break my fast with something consisting of fat/protein?
Bradley Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Steve Forman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Martyn View Post
Maybe this is mentioned somewhere in here...but i cannot find it....

When breaking a fast on a non-workout day...say today Sunday, what is the best way to then fill caloric needs? Fat and protein? and some complex carbs? or just fat protein and veggies....

I guess it just matter what kind of foods you eat...I eat high fat high protein Xcept Post W/O Complex carbs/ sugars. Does that mean i should break my fast with something consisting of fat/protein?

First off Welcome to the forum, as i did you find some great info here.

you should break your fast with all healthy choices. I do not eat anything except protein, fat and veggies. The only time (most of the time) I add fruit in my diet is for a post workout meal on Strength days. if your not training strength or have a day off, you probably dont need the fruit or complex carbs. Fat and Protein and healthy carbs (veggies) will be fine.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

What's your goals? Weight loss? Unless you are doing a very long extended fast (like 36 hours+) and you have no issues with some protein+fat (or added veggies), go for it. I'd keep fruit to workout days esp if your goal is weight loss (or as energy demands dictate).
Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Bradley Martyn

Great...both great answers thanks fellas!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Bradley Martyn

So.. update... i fasted for 18 hours...broke the fast with some dark chocolate 80% and 100% right after a pretty vigorous lifting session for a good 30 minutes... followed by two large bananas...and apple..22g whey....then this is were it gets ugly... 4 oz spinach 4 eggs 2 cups brocolli, 8-9 oz lean turkey...2 slices Colby...5 slices monteray jack and a couple American probably 5 slices. a handful of almonds, 2 teaspoons of EVOO, 4 tblsp milled flax seeds a ton of water a 1 teaspoon peanut butter... coconut oil 2 servings in pill form.. fish oil...cla

Bottom line...i am completely stuffed right now.... any opinions about how much food, should i have made it into 3-4 meals every hour after breaking the fast...

my goal is mass gains while subduing fat gains! i mean who's goal isn't that though...

Note on my fasting: i drank green tea all day long and water to keep prags at bey...The surprising thing was i did not find myself truley hungry throughout the entire period...even pwo..and during my workout i deffinatly felt soo damn good...it is a whole different feeling. i have to say during my workout the 18 hour mark passed and i took some BCAA and L-glutamine...finished training and then commenced the feast as described above. (technically breaking the fast).

all opinions and comments are welcomed maybe with some advice for better results next time.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Margie Lempert

Quote:

Note on my fasting: i drank green tea all day long and water to keep prags at bey...The surprising thing was i did not find myself truley hungry throughout the entire period...even pwo..and during my workout i deffinatly felt soo damn good...it is a whole different feeling. i have to say during my workout the 18 hour mark passed and i took some BCAA and L-glutamine...finished training and then commenced the feast as described above. (technically breaking the fast).

A note on your note: I would guess that the caffeine in the green tea both curbed your hunger while fasting, and then contributed to your hunger when you broke the fast. It's an appetite suppressant, and it also causes your insulin levels to rise and drop similar to sugar, which probably magnified your hunger post workout.
I very rarely have caffeine, so I feel that effect pretty significantly when I do: not hungry, not hungry, not hungry STARVING.
Margie Lempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Bottom line...i am completely stuffed right now.... any opinions about how much food, should i have made it into 3-4 meals every hour after breaking the fast...

my goal is mass gains while subduing fat gains! i mean who's goal isn't that though...
I ate pwo on Friday a large pizza and 6 pack of Guinness......and swear I was leaner on Sat. I say eat...eat..eat like you are pilaging a village pwo. On the non-workout days make it lower calories and protein/fat. If you want to gain lbs, eat more carbs/protein pwo window....and up the protein/fat on non-workout days....although the lower you keep the calories the leaner you will stay....but not too low.

Of course this strategy only works 2-3x a week max.....personally I like 2x.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Bradley Martyn

So, on "regular" days meaning i am not IF(ing) do i just eat small meals throughout the day like i always have, on the typical bb type protocols?

Mind you i am eating nuts, meats veggies protein shakes etc...and saving carbs for complex servings 30-60 minutes pwo.. (sweet Potatoes, oatmeal, quiona...etc)
Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Bradley Martyn

Thanks for all the help Mike..i know this is my first time posting here but I've been trolling for quit a while (ashamed), and I've read a lot of your posts and insights..all seem very sincere and realistic.

appreciate all the help/info!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Liam Dougherty Springer

So Mike what do you think would be the celing for a huge meal PWO when trying to gain weight I have a post in a thread about 1 meal eating days describing a 22block with waybe 3-5x fat that I am interested in attempting or atleast seeing how far I get the only real worry I have is not wanting to waste valuble food by eating more than my body can use. I am 5'10' 167 at 10% BF by the way
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote