Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default This is a gym..

Little documentary about a PL gym. off of Nick McKinless' blog. Not safe for crossfit.

strong language and such truck....

http://beyondstrong.typepad.com/my_w...elleville.html
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Allen Yeh

Very cool, I only watched the first video and a bit of the 2nd.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Yeah cool gym. Wierd only saw one guy doing squats (with bands). Everyone else was doing arm curls and lat pulldowns and rows. Yet not safe for CrossFit. Wierd.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Yeah cool gym. Wierd only saw one guy doing squats (with bands). Everyone else was doing arm curls and lat pulldowns and rows. Yet not safe for CrossFit. Wierd.

one of the problems with documentary folks, they're never sure what to focus on. plus filming squats in a PL gym are hard, I was filming a guy doing box squats with 750 on the bar and with all the spotters it was hard to get a shot in, everyone's in the way.

although, I saw,

GM's, speed deads, deloaded back squats, freaky closegrip bench, RE bench, regular squats that got some razzing for being high, well executed face pulls, deloaded bench with blue bands, and some pretty big DL's.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

This looks like an awesome place to train. As much for the atmosphere as for the actual training.

Like minded people, and no goofy crap. Except for picking on each other a little, which is absolutely alright in my book.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Dave Van Skike

For real. Finding a gym like this in January was for me the BIGGEST benefit to my training...Period. The atmosphere is good for 10% on every lift..I shit you not. It's elemental. I attribute 2000% of the success of Crossfit as an idea to the atmosphere of the facilities and the like mindedness of the participants...and I mean that as a compliment. Admittedly its not my deal but I have mad respect for the people locally who are doing it. My place is still better, but to each his own.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Derek Simonds

100% agreement. Everytime I go to Leo's gym I PR. Doesn't matter what it is I PR. Sometimes by more than I could have ever imagined.

Atmosphere is key.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

Atmosphere is key. I totally agree with the PR's at increases on load with the right training group.

Don't find that in a 24 hour fitness.... if they'll even let you deadlift there.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Jacob Rowell

Love it. The people that train at my place would say a lot of the same things - it may be dirty, hot, cold, whatever, but it's the right place to train hard.

There's a place nearby that reminds me a lot of the BWC (The Weight Room, www.rivercitystrongman.com). Not run down by any means, but it's the only place around where you can see 700#+ lifts. I go there on occasion just to know that however strong I may get, there's many many more who can still whip my ass.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote