Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default Static vs. Dynamic

I don't know if this is just a personal thing, but i feel that i learn gymnastic movements best when done dynamically. i feel that when i approach a new position and try to hold it statically, i'm too confused by all of the new coordination to know how i should correct my form. for example, my handstands progression had halted for a while until i tried making the practice a lot more dynamic. i had been doing a lot of work not against a wall, but then i decided to get against a wall and walk on my hands along the wall as far as possible (walking sideways). Then i started making it into reps (15-20 steps). i would make sure to come back the other way for symmetry of course. what i noticed is that this gave me a comfort level with being only supported by one arm for brief periods. when i checked my status with static handstands, i could actually feel the greater comfort when i needed to shift most my weight to one arm, when before i mentally was discomforted with this.

i have begun to notice this trend with other movements. for example, i was pretty stagnant with back levers until i started messing with reverse cranks. i feel like when you make the moves dynamic, it becomes pretty clear where the problem areas are.

my question is thus this: is it more strategic to make the static holds a sort of a monitor for progress? i still do feel the benefits of the static holds, but it seems like for training and practice purposes, it helps more to make like 70% of the work dynamic
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Statics are definitely important so don't discount them. If you were practicing a lot more skill work such on pbars, rings, hbar, etc. you would definitely need to have a good handle on body positions and shapes. This is built from static work such as handstands, hollows, occasionally arches, etc. But obviously this pertains a bit less to your situation.

As far as training goes, I prefer to do pretty much 90-95% dynamic with statics being my "tests" every so often. Basically I tend to think of it dynamic movements, sequences and routines help build strength in pretty much ALL ranges of motions. Statics only within about 10-15 degrees of the joint angle. In this respect, to develop overall body control and strength it is vastly important to train most everything dynamically. Plus BETTER proprioception. This is for higher level strength work though.. handstands are mostly skill and need to be practiced TONS. All depends though... if you're a person who wants to get an iron cross hold at all costs then you might have statics upwards of like 50/50 or something.

But if you are having problems like you were with just uncomfortable feeling then do what you need to do. Obviously, you're going to need to have a solid handstand to get anywhere with gymnastics strength so if doing dynamic handstand walks helps improve your handstand much more than solid holds then do it. I still think you would benefit strongly from having a coach and focusing a bit more than you probably think you should on the static for that movement though. Someone knocking you into position is very important especially for people trying to solidify their handstand moving towards freestanding.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Valentin Uzunov

Statics are one form of training. Overdoing them just like any exercises = staleness. You need to be overloading them just like you would with dynamic exericses.

Isometrics holds are paramount for specific body positions. If you want to learn how to hold a handstand than you better spend time in a handstand. Walking about i can almost guarantee you that you have an arch in your back. If you spend enough time (like 6 months) working on your HS in this shape, you will struggle when you come away from the wall to find astraight body.

It really depends like anything. If you want to be able to walk around in handstand than you need to practice this or anything dynamic in handsntand where you transfer weight from 1 arm to the onther. However to stop you will need to know how to balance in a stationary position. Essentially walking in a HS is much easier than balancing it. Only difference is that walking if more physically demanding than balancing (if you are in the right position).

So to answer your question. No not really its not a benefit. From what i understand from your post reason why you stop seeing results with statics is because of lack in overload, variations, specificity., than you did dynamics work, mixed it up a bit and you saw results again. However the training transfer effect from dyanmics to statics aint all that great.
Valentin Uzunov is offline   Reply With Quote