Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Default Door Pull-up Bars

Long story short: I need one. Looking for...
- portability (just a bar, not a full hook around the frame)
- no screws necessary
- can hold up to 250lbs

Any recommendations?

Story longer: Since the end of August, I've been working in the gyms here at UMD, waiting to begin personal training. For that job, they wanted me to get the ACE-CPT. I got it, 9/29. Cost me $300 and about 40 hours of studying. Since then, I've been waiting to meet with one of the directors of the campus gyms to get the into to how personal training works here. The first planned meeting was 10/10. All of a sudden, she became sick that morning and couldn't come to work. Last Friday, 10/17, when I showed up at 11AM for the meeting, the secretary at the office said she wasn't planning to come in until 1:30PM that day... To make things worse, she later emailed me to say she didn't come in because she had an adverse reaction to a flu shot... Though that doesn't at all explain why she wouldn't be coming in until 1:30... Now she wants to meet on 10/31.

Considering just the $4 raise I'd get in moving from general floor work to personal training, there's over $100 in lost wages. $400 and 40 hours if you count the CPT exam. That blows.

So, I might just begin doing personal training in people's homes in the UMCP area. I've got a 45lb MiR Pro vest, parallettes, and Rogue Rings, which can go pretty far, but a pull-up bar would make a load of difference. However, it needs to be able to hold some weight, not only since I hope to some day weigh 105kg myself (I couldn't even do bodyweight pull-ups then on most doorway bars, let alone weighted - but I want it more to hang my rings anyway), but because I may be working with some overweight clients at one point (not that they'd have all their weight on it at once for things like rows, obviously, but better safe than sorry). Also, since I may be doing 2-3 different people, I would need to be able to use it without screws... Not only would I not have enough of them, but I don't think most of the clients would want them in their doors anyway.

The problem with the hook-around styles, like the DIY one here, is that carrying it would be a bitch, since I ride my bike just about everywhere.

Anyway, thanks in advance,
Patrick Donnelly
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

This might work best for your purposes (and for portability):

http://www.buyzillion.com/B00065BT3G...+Chin+Ups.html

I have a set, I like them, even though I don't use them often.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a bar that doesn't need screws or hook around the upper door frame.

There is also the Jungle Gym by Lifeline, that may work as well.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Chet Morjaria

Hi Patrick,

I know a few folk that have this one:

http://www.powertrainer.co.uk/

Seem to fit many of your requirements...

# No screw fixings
# Bar 78 from the ground
# Folds flat in seconds
# No detachable parts
# Holds up to 20 stone
# Fully welded frame
# Ready assembled
# Portable

It does look like it is only available in the UK though (strange, with most equipment I want it's usually the other way around!)

Let me know if you are considering purchasing one and want a hand getting it over to you - would be happy to help.

Cheers,

Chet

Member of Team BodiTronics: Sponsored By BodiTronics and BodiPro
www.boditronics.co.uk
Chet Morjaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
There is also the Jungle Gym by Lifeline, that may work as well.
Second that, used them for bootcamps in the past and they were great....but they are also perfect for in home use and scaling movements. I'd say don't waste your money on a pullup bar as overweight people are not going to be doing pullups....but the straps can be used for inverted rows and angled pushups...perfect for beg-intermediates. That and it has a door strap for locking into a closed door (make you are on the side of the door that opens OUT/away from you, not towards you/in....so the door and frame can support the weight/straps....otherwise you may have a door coming open, person flying and one injured client can shut down your business very fast).

Last time I bought them they were like $40.....I think they have gone up a bit but not much. I believe Jungle Gym I are rated to 200-250 lbs.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 10-22-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Re: Garrett
Seeing as how I already have a set of Rogue Rings, which have more versatility than the Jungle Gym, I was looking for a portable bar I could use for hanging them. The Power Ups is interesting, but wouldn't work for that purpose (and I can only imagine the scrapes you'd get on your knees...).

Re: Chet
That's a real interesting one, since the lightweight design and folding ability get rid of the two biggest problems with hook-around bars. However, there is still the issue of varying door sizes. For example, the DIY pipe pull-up bar I linked to earlier (which is too large/heavy for me), was made with a five inch span to reach around the frame, but I measured the door frame here at my dorm, and it is nearly seven inches wide. How can these hook-around systems account for that?

Edit:
Re: Mike
It's true that the Jungle Gym would have a good amount of use, but it doesn't leave nearly as much room for progression as rings do, and it's so much more gimmicky. Heh. How does it secure itself on the back of the door?

Also, if you have any general pointers regarding in-home personal training that you could send me via PM, it would be greatly appreciated. I've just got the experience from doing it out of my home (which went very well), where I had plenty of equipment.

Lastly, given your point about the door position, the image here on Amazon made me laugh:
http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-USA-1.../dp/B00069CN2S
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
I was looking for a portable bar I could use for hanging them.
Buy a cheap door anchor or make your own and thread the rings through it with a single strap...that's the cheap and easy way
http://www.healthproductsforyou.com/...d-Door-Anchor/

Never tried it that way personally.....so you better test the theory yourself.

Advice on training in home.....learn to be creative and use minimal equipment....as dragging all the crap around with you is not fun. That and the lighter the equipment, the happier you will be. Get insurance too.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 10-22-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Gregory L. Johnson

It may not fit your student budget but the Tactical Athlete Pull-Up System seems to meet several of your requirements.

Oops! Just reread your post. You wouldn't be able to carry it around on your bike.
Gregory L. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Re: Gregory
I had seen the TAPS bar before, but yeah, it's expensive, it's more than I need, and like you mentioned, I couldn't ever carry it around.

Re: Mike
I've been insured for several months now; I wouldn't ever train without it.

Do those door anchors come with the fabric loop, or is it just the disk with the slit? If it's just the disk, then how wide is the slit? The Rogue Rings have 1.5" straps, which are unusually wide.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Do those door anchors come with the fabric loop, or is it just the disk with the slit? If it's just the disk, then how wide is the slit? The Rogue Rings have 1.5" straps, which are unusually wide.
Most are just a loop and then something big on the other side to achor when the door shuts.....you could probably go to a local Dicks or Target and find some cheap band that comes with one....again....no idea on what they can hold.....as they were made for a band....but the ones I have seen in the past were sturdy and had a wide loop to easily put a strap through. Worst case you waste $5.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Chet Morjaria

Quote:

Re: Chet
That's a real interesting one, since the lightweight design and folding ability get rid of the two biggest problems with hook-around bars. However, there is still the issue of varying door sizes. For example, the DIY pipe pull-up bar I linked to earlier (which is too large/heavy for me), was made with a five inch span to reach around the frame, but I measured the door frame here at my dorm, and it is nearly seven inches wide. How can these hook-around systems account for that?
Patrick,

Not sure TBH mate.

Maybe give the company a shout and see what they say to it?

In the meantime I ask a couple of mates that have the bar to measure their doorframes, haha....

Member of Team BodiTronics: Sponsored By BodiTronics and BodiPro
www.boditronics.co.uk
Chet Morjaria is offline   Reply With Quote