Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Chet Morjaria

Default 'Activity Level' for CA WODs

Folks,

A quick question if you would be so kind

I've had a peek at the current threads, and done a few searches, but can't see anything about this so thought I'd see what you reckon...

So...I'm male, 28, 60kg, approximately 10%-11% BF. Have just started the August 18th CA WOD cycle after coming off CF WODS - loving it

Anyway...am Paleo zoning and using the standard formula and Robb Wolfs suggested CF WOD multiplier of 0.7 - I am on 12 blocks a day. Am on triple fats 'cos it from trial and error, it's where I need to be in terms of energy levels etc.

Anyway...from henceforth my schedule will consist of following the CA WOD cycle as above, and in addition, around 90 mins of Oly tuition twice a week

Also will add a few CF metcons and skill practice - around twice a week, these are likely to be BW and gymnastic based.

In terms of other sports etc - probably to infrequent/sporadic to be of any significance here.

So...was just wondering what you guys think is an appropriate multiplier for this level of activity? Also, just out of interest, what you would suggest as a base multiplier for just the CA WODS (the same as CF WODs at around 0.7?)

Cheers, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

C.

Member of Team BodiTronics: Sponsored By BodiTronics and BodiPro
www.boditronics.co.uk
Chet Morjaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Ben Moskowitz

from Greg Everett
Quote:
There’s like 3 grams of protein for a 185 pound guy. But, so, for a weightlifter the Zone sucks. I would never ever let a lifter use the Zone, unless they had to lose weight and even then I’d probably just have them do some Paleo kind of naturally low-carb stuff.
http://www.againfaster.com/articles/...athletics.html
WFS

maybe it's different for the combo platter, though.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What are your goals? What weight are you moving with your lifts?

Cause if you wanna get stronger/bigger you should probably do something other than PM/CA Wods to start..
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Morjaria View Post
So...I'm male, 28, 60kg, approximately 10%-11% BF. Have just started the August 18th CA WOD cycle after coming off CF WODS - loving it

Anyway...am Paleo zoning and using the standard formula and Robb Wolfs suggested CF WOD multiplier of 0.7 - I am on 12 blocks a day. Am on triple fats 'cos it from trial and error, it's where I need to be in terms of energy levels etc.

So...was just wondering what you guys think is an appropriate multiplier for this level of activity? Also, just out of interest, what you would suggest as a base multiplier for just the CA WODS (the same as CF WODs at around 0.7?)
Hmm. How bout a multiplier of 0? In other words, trash the Zone if you're serious about lifting weight. Keep your carbs at 12 blocks and go up to 19 protein blocks (at least). 3x fat is probably fine provided you're still doing a couple metcons.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
trash the Zone if you're serious about lifting weight.
Why is the zone so bad for weightlifting? Lack of protein?

and...

If you're into weightlifting, but also crossfitting and doing gymnastic strength workouts as well, is zone a good or bad choice?
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Brian DeGennaro

The Zone is extremely calorie restricted for weightlifting (plus lacking a ton of protein). Most people are going to be put on 13-20 blocks on the Zone, which equates to about 1600-2200 calories. Zone simply cannot keep up with the demand of a weightlifter and most other athletes.

I did track and gymnastics on Zone and was severely out of it. I could do my practices but I just didn't have the energy to do well at it. Practices sucked terribly. There was too much strength and power being demanded in order to perform well. In Crossfit, I could bang that out any day of the week because the loads were so light for me. But the actual sports I played suffered severely.

I was on 25 blocks mind you, and definitely had more fat. I went off Zone and starting eating normally (which ends up being over 50 blocks on the Zone), saw my performances increase dramatically. Zone is good if your sport requires you to be energy efficient for periods of time, but if it demands anything other than that, you're screwed on it.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Chet Morjaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
from Greg Everett

http://www.againfaster.com/articles/...athletics.html
WFS

maybe it's different for the combo platter, though.
Ben,

Cheers for the link- reminded me to catch that interview, been meaning to for a wee while. Very interesting listening

www.boditronics.co.uk
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Chet Morjaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
What are your goals? What weight are you moving with your lifts?

Cause if you wanna get stronger/bigger you should probably do something other than PM/CA Wods to start..
Steven,

Goals are...a little messed up, ha. Here goes:

Managed to keep pretty much the same weight (60kg-62kg) over the past year whist getting significantly stronger/fitter/faster doing CrossFit...

Which is a good thing - as I am doing a wee bit of competitive powerlifting from early 2009, for which I need to be in the sub 60kg category.

I do like being small, and the power/weight ratios that come with it. Having said that - If I wasn't doing this powerlifting, I would likely take this opportunity of all the strength and oly work I'm doing to try and get upto the 65kg-70kg mark as that's where I feel I would be able to do most damage in general

So...yes, the goals at the moment in terms of strength etc - are to get stronger, but not bigger lol.

And in terms of weights lifted just now - well, whatever Oly maxes I have ATM are certainly limited by tech...and I can see a whole load of improvements being made in the near future largely through improved tech...

Bit of a mind dump, ha. But that is where I'm at just now.

www.boditronics.co.uk
Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Chet Morjaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Hmm. How bout a multiplier of 0? In other words, trash the Zone if you're serious about lifting weight. Keep your carbs at 12 blocks and go up to 19 protein blocks (at least). 3x fat is probably fine provided you're still doing a couple metcons.
Gant,

Thank you very much for the advice.

I've gone down these lines 'in the meantime', whilst working out exactly how to play this nutrition lark for the next wee while

So, if thinking about it in block terms, currently hitting up about 22P, 45F (triple would have been a lot I think!),and about 6-7C, most of them being PWO (is this enough you think? I'm happy to keep carbs as low as poss)

This seems to be working quite well, am increasing strength on a bunch of stuff, am leaning up too , energy levels perhaps a little low though....

Would appreciate your thoughts on this

www.boditronics.co.uk
Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Chet Morjaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post

I was on 25 blocks mind you, and definitely had more fat. I went off Zone and starting eating normally (which ends up being over 50 blocks on the Zone), saw my performances increase dramatically. Zone is good if your sport requires you to be energy efficient for periods of time, but if it demands anything other than that, you're screwed on it.
Brian - cheers.

Would been interested in finding out a few specifics with regard to the above eg what your BW was at the time, and how you found the '50 blocks' of protein affected your bodyweight/body comp and any other significant factors compared to what you were doing before? Etc...

Thanks!

www.boditronics.co.uk